[VOTE] Multiwiki plugin name before first release

[VOTE] Multiwiki plugin name before first release

Hi xwiki committers,

Multiwiki plugin will be released very soon with XEM. As I
architecture this plugin, it can now live out of XEM as a application
with his plugin+attached XAR.

In place of "multiwiki" I'd like to propose to name the application
and the plugin "wiki-manager" as it sounds better to me as the goal is
to create, delete, edit properties of wikis and template wikis, in
other word to manage wikis. So why wikis-manager ?

Plus it is more coherent with the new application-manager XAR+plugin
that will be released very soon too.

So lets fight :)

Here my +1 for "wiki-manager".

Re: [VOTE] Multiwiki plugin name before first release

Sergiu Dumitriu
I don't like it, at least not the singular form (wiki-manager); it
suggests that it manages one wiki only.
Other proposals:
- wikis-manager: almost the same as what you proposed, but it uses the
plural form 'wikis', showing that it manages more than one wiki.
- farm-manager: it describes what we do with XWiki -- wiki farm
hosting -- but it is not a good global name, as most people will not
host a "farm", and won't like the term.
- multiwiki-manager: a better name than the first proposal, since it
shows that it manages more wikis; just 'multiwiki' might give the
impression that it adds multiwiki support.
- virtual-manager: Not so good, as the term "virtual wiki" is
something we use internally, I don't know if other people will
understand what 'virtual' stands for. Moreover, it might be read as "a
virtual manager", or a kind of electronic boss that watches what
people do. An alternative could be "virtual-wiki-manager", but it
doesn't really solve any of these issues.

So, I'd say +1 for multiwiki-manager.

Sergiu

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

On Sep 13, 2007, at 7:06 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> I don't like it, at least not the singular form (wiki-manager); it
> suggests that it manages one wiki only.
> Other proposals:
> - wikis-manager: almost the same as what you proposed, but it uses the
> plural form 'wikis', showing that it manages more than one wiki.

I don't like the pural formal :) since in English adjectives do not
take an "s". An example that maybe makes it more obvious:
FileManager. A FileManager doesn't manage a single file but several.

> - farm-manager: it describes what we do with XWiki -- wiki farm
> hosting -- but it is not a good global name, as most people will not
> host a "farm", and won't like the term.

I don't like it either since the goal is not to manage Farms but to
manage Wikis. And Farm is not perfect since it can mean different
things.

> - multiwiki-manager: a better name than the first proposal, since it
> shows that it manages more wikis; just 'multiwiki' might give the
> impression that it adds multiwiki support.

The goal is not to manage mutiwikis but just wikis but I think it's
the best name so far. Note that I actually like "multiwiki" too!

> - virtual-manager: Not so good, as the term "virtual wiki" is
> something we use internally, I don't know if other people will
> understand what 'virtual' stands for. Moreover, it might be read as "a
> virtual manager", or a kind of electronic boss that watches what
> people do. An alternative could be "virtual-wiki-manager", but it
> doesn't really solve any of these issues.

Agree "virtual" is a bad name since its meaning is not obvious.

> So, I'd say +1 for multiwiki-manager.

"multiwiki" isn't so bad after all... ;)

I'm also fine with multiwiki-manager and wiki-manager.

> On 9/13/07, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi xwiki committers,
>>
>> Multiwiki plugin will be released very soon with XEM. As I
>> architecture this plugin, it can now live out of XEM as a application
>> with his plugin+attached XAR.
>>
>> In place of "multiwiki" I'd like to propose to name the application
>> and the plugin "wiki-manager" as it sounds better to me as the
>> goal is
>> to create, delete, edit properties of wikis and template wikis, in
>> other word to manage wikis. So why wikis-manager ?
>>
>> Plus it is more coherent with the new application-manager XAR+plugin
>> that will be released very soon too.
>>
>> So lets fight :)
>>
>> Here my +1 for "wiki-manager".

Re: [VOTE] Multiwiki plugin name before first release

Jean-Vincent Drean
- wikis-manager

-1 (don't like the plural form)

- farm-manager

-1 (unclear, ambiguous)

- multiwiki-manager

+0

- wiki-manager

+1

JV.

2007/9/13, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>:

> Hi xwiki committers,
>
> Multiwiki plugin will be released very soon with XEM. As I
> architecture this plugin, it can now live out of XEM as a application
> with his plugin+attached XAR.
>
> In place of "multiwiki" I'd like to propose to name the application
> and the plugin "wiki-manager" as it sounds better to me as the goal is
> to create, delete, edit properties of wikis and template wikis, in
> other word to manage wikis. So why wikis-manager ?
>
> Plus it is more coherent with the new application-manager XAR+plugin
> that will be released very soon too.
>
> So lets fight :)
>
> Here my +1 for "wiki-manager".

Re: [VOTE] Multiwiki plugin name before first release

Marta Girdea
+1 for wiki-manager

On 9/13/07, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi xwiki committers,
>
> Multiwiki plugin will be released very soon with XEM. As I
> architecture this plugin, it can now live out of XEM as a application
> with his plugin+attached XAR.
>
> In place of "multiwiki" I'd like to propose to name the application
> and the plugin "wiki-manager" as it sounds better to me as the goal is
> to create, delete, edit properties of wikis and template wikis, in
> other word to manage wikis. So why wikis-manager ?
>
> Plus it is more coherent with the new application-manager XAR+plugin
> that will be released very soon too.
>
> So lets fight :)
>
> Here my +1 for "wiki-manager".

Re: [VOTE] Multiwiki plugin name before first release

Guillaume Lerouge
I know I'm not a committer but I would vote for wiki manager -> sounds like the logical choice to me. The FileManager exampel won the debate from my PoV :-)

Guillaume

On 19/09/2007, Marta Girdea <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for wiki-manager

On 9/13/07, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi xwiki committers,
>
> Multiwiki plugin will be released very soon with XEM. As I
> architecture this plugin, it can now live out of XEM as a application
> with his plugin+attached XAR.
>
> In place of "multiwiki" I'd like to propose to name the application
> and the plugin "wiki-manager" as it sounds better to me as the goal is
> to create, delete, edit properties of wikis and template wikis, in
> other word to manage wikis. So why wikis-manager ?
>
> Plus it is more coherent with the new application-manager XAR+plugin
> that will be released very soon too.
>
> So lets fight :)
>
> Here my +1 for "wiki-manager".

http://wikibc.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Multiwiki plugin name before first release (SUMMARY)

Summary between multiwiki-manager and wiki-manager (the 2 contenders):

* Sergiu: multiwiki-manager
* Thomas: wiki-manager
* JV: wiki-manager
* Vincent: multiwiki-manager or wiki-manager
* Evelina: multiwiki-manager
* Marta: wiki-manager
* Guillaume: wiki-manager

Total:

multiwiki-manager: 3
wiki-manager: 5

Thus I hereby declare wiki-manager to be the winner ;)

I'd like to release it today so I'm going to make the modifications
to rename it to "wiki-manager". Shout if you really really really
don't want that name.

On Sep 13, 2007, at 6:20 PM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> Hi xwiki committers,
>
> Multiwiki plugin will be released very soon with XEM. As I
> architecture this plugin, it can now live out of XEM as a application
> with his plugin+attached XAR.
>
> In place of "multiwiki" I'd like to propose to name the application
> and the plugin "wiki-manager" as it sounds better to me as the goal is
> to create, delete, edit properties of wikis and template wikis, in
> other word to manage wikis. So why wikis-manager ?
>
> Plus it is more coherent with the new application-manager XAR+plugin
> that will be released very soon too.
>
> So lets fight :)
>
> Here my +1 for "wiki-manager".

Re: [VOTE] Multiwiki plugin name before first release

ebullient
I'm not a committer either, but I also think wiki-manager makes the most sense.

On 9/19/07, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know I'm not a committer but I would vote for wiki manager -> sounds like
> the logical choice to me. The FileManager exampel won the debate from my PoV
> :-)
>
> Guillaume
>

> On 19/09/2007, Marta Girdea <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > +1 for wiki-manager
> >
> > On 9/13/07, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi xwiki committers,
> > >
> > > Multiwiki plugin will be released very soon with XEM. As I
> > > architecture this plugin, it can now live out of XEM as a application
> > > with his plugin+attached XAR.
> > >
> > > In place of "multiwiki" I'd like to propose to name the application
> > > and the plugin "wiki-manager" as it sounds better to me as the goal is
> > > to create, delete, edit properties of wikis and template wikis, in
> > > other word to manage wikis. So why wikis-manager ?
> > >
> > > Plus it is more coherent with the new application-manager XAR+plugin
> > > that will be released very soon too.
> > >
> > > So lets fight :)
> > >
> > > Here my +1 for "wiki-manager".
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thomas Mortagne

> http://wikibc.blogspot.com/

'Waste of a good apple' -Samwise Gamgee

On 9/24/07, Erin Schnabel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not a committer either

That can be changed ;)

Sergiu
--