[VOTE] Name the new skin on xwiki.org!

As most of you should have seen by now we have a new skin on http://www.xwiki.org
.

The next step is to make that skin available as part of the XWiki
distributions and thus commit it in our SVN.

Thus we need to name it. Following our rule, we need to use bird name.
See http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DevelopmentPractices#HUsingbirdnamesforSkins
  for some suggestions.

So, let the vote start!

Here's my proposal: Sparrow

Re: [VOTE] Name the new skin on xwiki.org!

Asiri Rathnayake
Hi,

On Dec 11, 2007 8:44 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

As most of you should have seen by now we have a new skin on http://www.xwiki.org
.

The next step is to make that skin available as part of the XWiki
distributions and thus commit it in our SVN.

Thus we need to name it. Following our rule, we need to use bird name.
See http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DevelopmentPractices#HUsingbirdnamesforSkins
 for some suggestions.

So, let the vote start!

Here's my proposal: Sparrow

+1 for Sparrow.

This skin is really really (i mean really) cool! :)

- Asiri

Re: [VOTE] Name the new skin on xwiki.org!

Karim-Pierre Maalej

        This is my first message in this list(*), I don't know what are the
usages for name proposals and I may not even have the right to vote, but
I have a suggestion.

        Since one characteristic of this new skin lies in its colours, I
suggest the name of a colourful bird. Why not the Toucan? :-)

        Regards,

Karim-Pierre Maalej.

(*) To introduce myself, I am a new engineer from Telecom Paris, working
on the XWiki Concerto project since about a month ago.

Le mardi 11 décembre 2007 à 16:14 +0100, Vincent Massol a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> As most of you should have seen by now we have a new skin on http://www.xwiki.org
> .
>
> The next step is to make that skin available as part of the XWiki
> distributions and thus commit it in our SVN.
>
> Thus we need to name it. Following our rule, we need to use bird name.
> See http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DevelopmentPractices#HUsingbirdnamesforSkins
>   for some suggestions.
>
> So, let the vote start!
>
> Here's my proposal: Sparrow

Re: [VOTE] Name the new skin on xwiki.org!

Víctor A. Rodríguez (Bit-Man)
Karim-Pierre Maalej wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is my first message in this list(*), I don't know what are the
> usages for name proposals and I may not even have the right to vote, but
> I have a suggestion.
>
> Since one characteristic of this new skin lies in its colours, I
> suggest the name of a colourful bird. Why not the Toucan? :-)

+1 for Toucan

--
Víctor A. Rodríguez (http://www.bit-man.com.ar)
El bit Fantasma (Bit-Man) - Algorithm junkie

Re: [VOTE] Name the new skin on xwiki.org!

pgrodt
I was actually independently thinking of Toucan, but didn't think it was worth speaking up.  But since the ice is broken, I like it.

-Paul Grodt

> Hi,
>
> This is my first message in this list(*), I don't know what are the
> usages for name proposals and I may not even have the right to vote, but
> I have a suggestion.
>
> Since one characteristic of this new skin lies in its colours, I
> suggest the name of a colourful bird. Why not the Toucan? :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Karim-Pierre Maalej.
>

> (*) To introduce myself, I am a new engineer from Telecom Paris, working
> on the XWiki Concerto project since about a month ago.
>

> Le mardi 11 décembre 2007 à 16:14 +0100, Vincent Massol a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > As most of you should have seen by now we have a new skin on
> http://www.xwiki.org
> > .
> >
> > The next step is to make that skin available as part of the XWiki
> > distributions and thus commit it in our SVN.
> >
> > Thus we need to name it. Following our rule, we need to use bird name.
> > See
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DevelopmentPractices#HUsingb
> irdnamesforSkins
> >   for some suggestions.
> >
> > So, let the vote start!
> >
> > Here's my proposal: Sparrow

Re: [VOTE] Name the new skin on xwiki.org!

Evelina Slatineanu
Hi all,

I found a nice article about color and birds, might be useful :D Take a
look here:
http://www.colourlovers.com/blog/2007/07/15/colorful-beauty-in-nature-birds/

On one side, sparrow would go because imo the skin is nice, light and
simple but on the other, the Toucan bird would be perfect because of the
colors.

So +1 for Toucan :)

Thanks,
Evelina

Paul Grodt wrote:

> I was actually independently thinking of Toucan, but didn't think it was worth speaking up.  But since the ice is broken, I like it.
>
> -Paul Grodt
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> This is my first message in this list(*), I don't know what are the
>> usages for name proposals and I may not even have the right to vote, but
>> I have a suggestion.
>>
>> Since one characteristic of this new skin lies in its colours, I
>> suggest the name of a colourful bird. Why not the Toucan? :-)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Karim-Pierre Maalej.
>>

>> (*) To introduce myself, I am a new engineer from Telecom Paris, working
>> on the XWiki Concerto project since about a month ago.
>>

>> Le mardi 11 décembre 2007 à 16:14 +0100, Vincent Massol a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As most of you should have seen by now we have a new skin on
>>>
>> http://www.xwiki.org
>>
>>> .
>>>
>>> The next step is to make that skin available as part of the XWiki
>>> distributions and thus commit it in our SVN.
>>>
>>> Thus we need to name it. Following our rule, we need to use bird name.
>>> See
>>>
>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DevelopmentPractices#HUsingb
>> irdnamesforSkins
>>
>>>   for some suggestions.
>>>
>>> So, let the vote start!
>>>
>>> Here's my proposal: Sparrow
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

Re: [VOTE] Name the new skin on xwiki.org!

Ricardo Rodríguez-2
Evelina Slatineanu wrote:
Hi all,

I found a nice article about color and birds, might be useful :D Take a
look here:
http://www.colourlovers.com/blog/2007/07/15/colorful-beauty-in-nature-birds/

On one side, sparrow would go because imo the skin is nice, light and
simple but on the other, the Toucan bird would be perfect because of the
colors.

So +1 for Toucan :)

Thanks,
Evelina
I don't know if users are allowed to vote here :-) Well, let me try...

+1 for Toucan

But just in case you miss lightness, a friend of mine proposed hummingbird when I explain him the objective of this poll. This colourful, bright and tiny bird is able of the most incredible manoeuvres. Like XWiki!

I think it is clearly a Web 2.0 bird :-)

Evelina: thanks for the link to ColourLovers site! It is great!

Cheers,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your XEN ICT Team

Re: [VOTE] Name the new skin on xwiki.org!

Stéphane Laurière-6
Hummingbird is great, but I vote for toucan, I find it even more
original for something related to software :-)

Cheers

Stéphane

Your XEN ICT Team - Ricardo Rodriguez wrote:

> Evelina Slatineanu wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I found a nice article about color and birds, might be useful :D Take a
>> look here:
>> http://www.colourlovers.com/blog/2007/07/15/colorful-beauty-in-nature-birds/
>>
>> On one side, sparrow would go because imo the skin is nice, light and
>> simple but on the other, the Toucan bird would be perfect because of the
>> colors.
>>
>> So +1 for Toucan :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Evelina
> I don't know if users are allowed to vote here :-) Well, let me try...
>
> +1 for Toucan
>
> But just in case you miss lightness, a friend of mine proposed
> *hummingbird* when I explain him the objective of this poll. This
> colourful, bright and tiny bird is able of the most incredible
> manoeuvres. Like XWiki!
>
> I think it is clearly a Web 2.0 bird :-)
>
> Evelina: thanks for the link to ColourLovers site! It is great!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ricardo
>
> --
> Ricardo Rodríguez
> Your XEN ICT Team

Stéphane Laurière
[hidden email]

XWiki http://www.xwiki.com
http://concerto.xwiki.com
http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org

Re: [VOTE] Name the new skin on xwiki.org!

Ludovic Dubost-2

So nobody wants to support Vincent's "sparrow" ?

Ludovic

Stéphane Laurière wrote:

> Hummingbird is great, but I vote for toucan, I find it even more
> original for something related to software :-)
>
> Cheers
>

> Stéphane
>

> Your XEN ICT Team - Ricardo Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> Evelina Slatineanu wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I found a nice article about color and birds, might be useful :D Take a
>>> look here:
>>> http://www.colourlovers.com/blog/2007/07/15/colorful-beauty-in-nature-birds/
>>>
>>> On one side, sparrow would go because imo the skin is nice, light and
>>> simple but on the other, the Toucan bird would be perfect because of the
>>> colors.
>>>
>>> So +1 for Toucan :)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Evelina
>>>
>> I don't know if users are allowed to vote here :-) Well, let me try...
>>
>> +1 for Toucan
>>
>> But just in case you miss lightness, a friend of mine proposed
>> *hummingbird* when I explain him the objective of this poll. This
>> colourful, bright and tiny bird is able of the most incredible
>> manoeuvres. Like XWiki!
>>
>> I think it is clearly a Web 2.0 bird :-)
>>
>> Evelina: thanks for the link to ColourLovers site! It is great!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Ricardo
>>
>> --
>> Ricardo Rodríguez
>> Your XEN ICT Team

Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

Re: [VOTE] Name the new skin on xwiki.org!

Jerome Velociter
I prefer the name sparrow for a day-to-day usage, but indeed toucan makes
more sense regarding the beautiful colors. The question is, since I
suppose the new skin will be delivered with just one default color, which
color will it be ? For now, no vote from me :)

Jerome.

> So nobody wants to support Vincent's "sparrow" ?
>
> Ludovic
>

> Stéphane Laurière wrote:
>> Hummingbird is great, but I vote for toucan, I find it even more
>> original for something related to software :-)
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Stéphane
>>

>> Your XEN ICT Team - Ricardo Rodriguez wrote:

>>> I don't know if users are allowed to vote here :-) Well, let me try...
>>>
>>> +1 for Toucan
>>>
>>> But just in case you miss lightness, a friend of mine proposed
>>> *hummingbird* when I explain him the objective of this poll. This
>>> colourful, bright and tiny bird is able of the most incredible
>>> manoeuvres. Like XWiki!
>>>
>>> I think it is clearly a Web 2.0 bird :-)
>>>
>>> Evelina: thanks for the link to ColourLovers site! It is great!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Ricardo
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ricardo Rodríguez
>>> Your XEN ICT Team

> Ludovic Dubost
> Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
> Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

Re: [VOTE] Name the new skin on xwiki.org! (SUMMARY)

We need to commit the skin in SVN so we need a name for it.

Here are the results so far:

* sparrow: +3 (Vincent, Asiri, Ludovic (assumed))
* toucan: +6 (Karim, Victor, Paul, Evelina, Ricardo, Hummingbird)

So Toucan wins.

The only pity is that the new skin has not much to do with colors IMO.
I think most people were mixing up how we use the new skin on
xwiki.org and the skin itself. Almost all skins can be made to use
different colors so that's not really a differentiator.

Anyway let's keep sparrow for an even lighter skin...

I'm going to use Toucan in SVN for now.

Thanks everyone who participated!
-Vincent

On Dec 11, 2007, at 4:14 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As most of you should have seen by now we have a new skin on http://www.xwiki.org
> .
>
> The next step is to make that skin available as part of the XWiki
> distributions and thus commit it in our SVN.
>
> Thus we need to name it. Following our rule, we need to use bird name.
> See http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DevelopmentPractices#HUsingbirdnamesforSkins
>  for some suggestions.
>
> So, let the vote start!
>
> Here's my proposal: Sparrow

Re: [VOTE] Name the new skin on xwiki.org! (SUMMARY)

rrodrigueznt
Vincent Massol wrote:

> We need to commit the skin in SVN so we need a name for it.
>
> Here are the results so far:
>
> * sparrow: +3 (Vincent, Asiri, Ludovic (assumed))
> * toucan: +6 (Karim, Victor, Paul, Evelina, Ricardo, Hummingbird)
>
> So Toucan wins.
>
> The only pity is that the new skin has not much to do with colors IMO.
> I think most people were mixing up how we use the new skin on
> xwiki.org and the skin itself. Almost all skins can be made to use
> different colors so that's not really a differentiator.
>
> Anyway let's keep sparrow for an even lighter skin...
>
> I'm going to use Toucan in SVN for now.
>
> Thanks everyone who participated!
> -Vincent
Vincent,

Thanks to you for this democratic play!

By the way: I think hummingbird was just another proposal done by a
friend of mine (in fact, my best boss :-). It combined both color and
lightness. I get you point about the difference between use of the skin
and the skin by itself.

Anyway, let's enjoy Toucan! Long life to Toucan!

Cheers,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez