[VOTE] Release xwiki-commons and xwiki-rendering directly on Maven Central

[VOTE] Release xwiki-commons and xwiki-rendering directly on Maven Central

To remove a big step from the release I would like to modify a bit our
setup and deploy released xwiki-commons and xwiki-rendering artifacts
on Maven Central instead of nexus.xwiki.org/maven.xwiki.org.

PRO:
* speed up releases
* less stuff to store on our side
* only one artifact for a specific version (right now they are built
twice which produce two different JARs in pratice)

CONS:
* depends more on Maven Central

In practice we already depend on Maven Central for many things so if
Maven Central ever end up dead the fact that we don't have the
artifact on our side is going to be the least of our issues :)

So WDYT ?

+1 on my side

Re: [VOTE] Release xwiki-commons and xwiki-rendering directly on Maven Central

Hi Thomas,

> On 2 Oct 2017, at 10:14, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> To remove a big step from the release I would like to modify a bit our
> setup and deploy released xwiki-commons and xwiki-rendering artifacts
> on Maven Central instead of nexus.xwiki.org/maven.xwiki.org.
>
> PRO:
> * speed up releases
> * less stuff to store on our side
> * only one artifact for a specific version (right now they are built
> twice which produce two different JARs in pratice)
>
> CONS:
> * depends more on Maven Central
>
> In practice we already depend on Maven Central for many things so if
> Maven Central ever end up dead the fact that we don't have the
> artifact on our side is going to be the least of our issues :)
>
> So WDYT ?
>
> +1 on my side

+1 to automate the release on Maven Central for commons/rendering.

-0 (close to -1) to not releasing/copying commons/rendering artifacts on maven.xwiki.org. I think it’s important that we can have the full list of XWiki artifacts in a single place and I’d like that to be our place. If we were publishing all our artifacts on Maven Central, I wouldn’t have this problem but it’s not the case.

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
>> On 2 Oct 2017, at 10:14, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> To remove a big step from the release I would like to modify a bit our
>> setup and deploy released xwiki-commons and xwiki-rendering artifacts
>> on Maven Central instead of nexus.xwiki.org/maven.xwiki.org.
>>
>> PRO:
>> * speed up releases
>> * less stuff to store on our side
>> * only one artifact for a specific version (right now they are built
>> twice which produce two different JARs in pratice)
>>
>> CONS:
>> * depends more on Maven Central
>>
>> In practice we already depend on Maven Central for many things so if
>> Maven Central ever end up dead the fact that we don't have the
>> artifact on our side is going to be the least of our issues :)
>>
>> So WDYT ?
>>
>> +1 on my side
>
> +1 to automate the release on Maven Central for commons/rendering.
>
> -0 (close to -1) to not releasing/copying commons/rendering artifacts on maven.xwiki.org. I think it’s important that we can have the full list of XWiki artifacts in a single place and I’d like that to be our place. If we were publishing all our artifacts on Maven Central, I wouldn’t have this problem but it’s not the case.

You do have all our artifacts in one place (at least from browser
point of view) trough nexus.xwiki.org.

>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [VOTE] Release xwiki-commons and xwiki-rendering directly on Maven Central

Eduard Moraru
+1, sounds good to me.

Also, if we could setup Nexus to clone just the org.xwiki artifacts from
maven central, that might be a good compromise, but I could live without it
also.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> >> On 2 Oct 2017, at 10:14, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi devs,
> >>
> >> To remove a big step from the release I would like to modify a bit our
> >> setup and deploy released xwiki-commons and xwiki-rendering artifacts
> >> on Maven Central instead of nexus.xwiki.org/maven.xwiki.org.
> >>
> >> PRO:
> >> * speed up releases
> >> * less stuff to store on our side
> >> * only one artifact for a specific version (right now they are built
> >> twice which produce two different JARs in pratice)
> >>
> >> CONS:
> >> * depends more on Maven Central
> >>
> >> In practice we already depend on Maven Central for many things so if
> >> Maven Central ever end up dead the fact that we don't have the
> >> artifact on our side is going to be the least of our issues :)
> >>
> >> So WDYT ?
> >>
> >> +1 on my side
> >
> > +1 to automate the release on Maven Central for commons/rendering.
> >
> > -0 (close to -1) to not releasing/copying commons/rendering artifacts on
> maven.xwiki.org. I think it’s important that we can have the full list of
> XWiki artifacts in a single place and I’d like that to be our place. If we
> were publishing all our artifacts on Maven Central, I wouldn’t have this
> problem but it’s not the case.
>
> You do have all our artifacts in one place (at least from browser
> point of view) trough nexus.xwiki.org.

> >> --
> >> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [VOTE] Release xwiki-commons and xwiki-rendering directly on Maven Central

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
0

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1, sounds good to me.
>
> Also, if we could setup Nexus to clone just the org.xwiki artifacts from
> maven central, that might be a good compromise, but I could live without it
> also.
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard
>
> On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Thomas Mortagne <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi Thomas,

> > > +1 to automate the release on Maven Central for commons/rendering.
> > >
> > > -0 (close to -1) to not releasing/copying commons/rendering artifacts
> on
> > maven.xwiki.org. I think it’s important that we can have the full list
> of
> > XWiki artifacts in a single place and I’d like that to be our place. If
> we
> > were publishing all our artifacts on Maven Central, I wouldn’t have this
> > problem but it’s not the case.
> >
> > You do have all our artifacts in one place (at least from browser
> > point of view) trough nexus.xwiki.org.
> >

> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

> > --
> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: [VOTE] Release xwiki-commons and xwiki-rendering directly on Maven Central

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] Release xwiki-commons and xwiki-rendering directly on Maven Central

caubin
+0

Thanks,
Clément

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1, sounds good to me.
>
> Also, if we could setup Nexus to clone just the org.xwiki artifacts from
> maven central, that might be a good compromise, but I could live without it
> also.

It's going to clone most of it in practice since every time someone
build with nexus.xwiki.org as main repository in settings.xml
everything that gets trough it get cloned (it's the case for many
Maven central artifacts right now).

> Thanks,
> Eduard
>
> On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Thomas,

>> > +1 to automate the release on Maven Central for commons/rendering.
>> >
>> > -0 (close to -1) to not releasing/copying commons/rendering artifacts on
>> maven.xwiki.org. I think it’s important that we can have the full list of
>> XWiki artifacts in a single place and I’d like that to be our place. If we
>> were publishing all our artifacts on Maven Central, I wouldn’t have this
>> problem but it’s not the case.
>>
>> You do have all our artifacts in one place (at least from browser
>> point of view) trough nexus.xwiki.org.
>>

>> > Thanks
>> > -Vincent

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [VOTE] Release xwiki-commons and xwiki-rendering directly on Maven Central

+0

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>

> To remove a big step from the release I would like to modify a bit our
> setup and deploy released xwiki-commons and xwiki-rendering artifacts
> on Maven Central instead of nexus.xwiki.org/maven.xwiki.org.
>
> PRO:
> * speed up releases
> * less stuff to store on our side
> * only one artifact for a specific version (right now they are built
> twice which produce two different JARs in pratice)
>
> CONS:
> * depends more on Maven Central
>
> In practice we already depend on Maven Central for many things so if
> Maven Central ever end up dead the fact that we don't have the
> artifact on our side is going to be the least of our issues :)
>
> So WDYT ?
>
> +1 on my side

Re: [VOTE] Release xwiki-commons and xwiki-rendering directly on Maven Central

Alex Cotiugă
+0
Thanks,
Alex