[VOTE] Restrict Menu Application to the main wiki

[VOTE] Restrict Menu Application to the main wiki

Costi Listar
  While working on https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-14037, I noticed
that the Menu Macro has GLOBAL visibility. This implies that Menu
Translations should have GLOBAL visibility as well. But this will cause
issues if you install the Menu Application on a sub-wiki because there is
no fallback yet from GLOBAL visibility to WIKI in case of translations.
  In order to avoid this problem, I propose to restrict the installation of
the Menu Application to the main wiki.

  I am +1 for this.

Thanks,
Costi

Re: [VOTE] Restrict Menu Application to the main wiki

Marius Dumitru Florea
Note that XS has the Menu Application installed only on the main wiki ATM.
Also, the reason I used GLOBAL visibility for the Menu macro is because I
wanted to support global menus (defined on the main wiki and visible
everywhere). Installing the Menu Application both on the main wiki and on a
subwiki can lead to unexpected results so I would not recommend it. The
question is whether installing the Menu Application only on the subwiki is
a valid use case or not.

We could also restrict the installation to the main wiki *only until* we
add support for GLOBAL to WIKI visibility fallback for translations. +1 for
this.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Costi Listar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   While working on https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-14037, I noticed
> that the Menu Macro has GLOBAL visibility. This implies that Menu
> Translations should have GLOBAL visibility as well. But this will cause
> issues if you install the Menu Application on a sub-wiki because there is
> no fallback yet from GLOBAL visibility to WIKI in case of translations.
>   In order to avoid this problem, I propose to restrict the installation of
> the Menu Application to the main wiki.
>
>   I am +1 for this.
>
> Thanks,
> Costi

Re: [VOTE] Restrict Menu Application to the main wiki

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
We also have the FARM use case, where menus in theory should be able to be
defined in subwikis and be independent of the main wiki.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 2:49 PM Marius Dumitru Florea <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note that XS has the Menu Application installed only on the main wiki ATM.
> Also, the reason I used GLOBAL visibility for the Menu macro is because I
> wanted to support global menus (defined on the main wiki and visible
> everywhere). Installing the Menu Application both on the main wiki and on a
> subwiki can lead to unexpected results so I would not recommend it. The
> question is whether installing the Menu Application only on the subwiki is
> a valid use case or not.
>
> We could also restrict the installation to the main wiki *only until* we
> add support for GLOBAL to WIKI visibility fallback for translations. +1 for
> this.
>
> Thanks,
> Marius
>
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Costi Listar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> >   While working on https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-14037, I noticed
> > that the Menu Macro has GLOBAL visibility. This implies that Menu
> > Translations should have GLOBAL visibility as well. But this will cause
> > issues if you install the Menu Application on a sub-wiki because there is
> > no fallback yet from GLOBAL visibility to WIKI in case of translations.
> >   In order to avoid this problem, I propose to restrict the installation
> of
> > the Menu Application to the main wiki.
> >
> >   I am +1 for this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Costi

Re: [VOTE] Restrict Menu Application to the main wiki

Denis Gervalle-2
Hi Costi,

This is closely related with the discussion we had on XWIKI-12736.
Applying the same mecanism used for macro scope to translations is definitely the best way to mitigate this issue, but not the simplest one.
Hope it helps.

--
Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO
On 7 Aug 2018, 14:29 +0200, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> We also have the FARM use case, where menus in theory should be able to be
> defined in subwikis and be independent of the main wiki.
>

> On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 2:49 PM Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Note that XS has the Menu Application installed only on the main wiki ATM.
> > Also, the reason I used GLOBAL visibility for the Menu macro is because I
> > wanted to support global menus (defined on the main wiki and visible
> > everywhere). Installing the Menu Application both on the main wiki and on a
> > subwiki can lead to unexpected results so I would not recommend it. The
> > question is whether installing the Menu Application only on the subwiki is
> > a valid use case or not.
> >
> > We could also restrict the installation to the main wiki *only until* we
> > add support for GLOBAL to WIKI visibility fallback for translations. +1 for
> > this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marius
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Costi Listar <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > While working on https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-14037, I noticed
> > > that the Menu Macro has GLOBAL visibility. This implies that Menu
> > > Translations should have GLOBAL visibility as well. But this will cause
> > > issues if you install the Menu Application on a sub-wiki because there is
> > > no fallback yet from GLOBAL visibility to WIKI in case of translations.
> > > In order to avoid this problem, I propose to restrict the installation
> > of
> > > the Menu Application to the main wiki.
> > >
> > > I am +1 for this.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Costi

Re: [VOTE] Restrict Menu Application to the main wiki

Marius Dumitru Florea
Indeed, the farm use case is important, I propose to focus on implementing
the fall-back from GLOBAL to WIKI visibility for translations and leave the
Menu Application open to subwikis.