[VOTE] [UX] Administration 9.x

Me and Marius worked on an improved Administration proposal.
It includes:
- categories/sections reorganization in order to priorities often used
sections;
- clearly describing the property and displaying default values;
- integrates a collapsible menu that will reduce scrolling;
- more polishing, standardization and consistency in styling;

You can read more and compare with the current version at:
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Administration9x

We want to implement the changes, so we ask for your vote and feedback.

My +1

Re: [VOTE] [UX] Administration 9.x

+1

Looks very nice :)

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 5:45 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)

> Me and Marius worked on an improved Administration proposal.
> It includes:
> - categories/sections reorganization in order to priorities often used
> sections;
> - clearly describing the property and displaying default values;
> - integrates a collapsible menu that will reduce scrolling;
> - more polishing, standardization and consistency in styling;
>
> You can read more and compare with the current version at:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Administration9x
>
> We want to implement the changes, so we ask for your vote and feedback.
>
> My +1
>
> Thanks,
> Caty

Re: [VOTE] [UX] Administration 9.x

+1

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> Me and Marius worked on an improved Administration proposal.
> It includes:
> - categories/sections reorganization in order to priorities often used
> sections;
> - clearly describing the property and displaying default values;
> - integrates a collapsible menu that will reduce scrolling;
> - more polishing, standardization and consistency in styling;
>
> You can read more and compare with the current version at:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Administration9x
>
> We want to implement the changes, so we ask for your vote and feedback.
>
> My +1
>
> Thanks,
> Caty

Re: [VOTE] [UX] Administration 9.x

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] [UX] Administration 9.x

> On 14 Mar 2017, at 17:45, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> Me and Marius worked on an improved Administration proposal.
> It includes:
> - categories/sections reorganization in order to priorities often used
> sections;
> - clearly describing the property and displaying default values;
> - integrates a collapsible menu that will reduce scrolling;
> - more polishing, standardization and consistency in styling;
>
> You can read more and compare with the current version at:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Administration9x
>
> We want to implement the changes, so we ask for your vote and feedback.
>
> My +1

+1 for the reorg with the rename of “Users”  in “Users & Groups”. The new L&F is nice too.

0 for the collapsing part of the menu + the extra tabs. I don’t like them too much since they hide the subcategories and whereas before you could go to any admin section in one click you now need 2 or 3 clicks (provided you know what section you need to click as otherwise it’s a lot more clicks!).

So the proposal has a nicer L&F and the reorg is nice in general but I find it less usable than before on the navigation aspect. Said differently it replaces scrolling by hiding. Personally I was finding scrolling less an issue.

This could be alleviated in the future by an intelligent search suggest box that would index all content from all admin UI pages (in order to take into account the content in tabs).

> Caty

Re: [VOTE] [UX] Administration 9.x

I’ve been able to test the work. Good work!

Some small comments (copied from IRC):

- "PANELS DISPLAYED ON THE LEFT" is a bit technical and appears before the "Panel List" tab. An improvement would be to make that some advanced section or move them to the Panel List tab somewhere
- In Mail, you named the general section "Advanced". In practice it's ok FTM since we have only 1 item in it. We may need to change it in the future if there are more since it wasn't meant to be advanced. It's just that there are 2 parts in Mail config:
  - part 1: mail sender config
  - part 2: general mail config
- I can open tabs and they stay open but when I click in a sub category, all the opened tabs are folded. I like that we could open several items at the same time.