[VOTE] Update the xar plugin and stop committing XML wiki page date fields

[VOTE] Update the xar plugin and stop committing XML wiki page date fields

Eduard Moraru
Hi, devs.

We have had 2 previous discussions on this topic:
* July 2016 (discussion): https://markmail.org/thread/oodciq7pv6pj7eic
* Jan 2018 (proposal): https://markmail.org/thread/ymwsebvr3k7voy3p

And we have at least 2 issues on this topic:
* Oct 2011: XWIKI-7058 <http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-7058>: Page
creation date should be the date of the installation
* Feb 2015: XCOMMONS-1447 <https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XCOMMONS-1447>:
XAR plugin should replace the dates with a common number

TL;DR: It's causing confusion for our users to install pages that are
created in 2005/2009/etc. so we should avoid committing dates on git that
users might end up installing.

Reminder: Importing a document with empty dates will:
* Use the current date if the document is new (i.e. does not exist in the
wiki)
* Use the existing dates if the document already exists in the wiki, if
using backup import
* Use the current user and current date for the document update date, if
imported using non-backup import of EM extension install

Adel and myself have extended the xar:verify and xar:format goals of the
xar plugin to check for the existence of date fields in the XML wiki pages
and to remove them. The fields are:
* date
* contentUpdateDate
* creationDate
* attachment/date

See the PR https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-commons/pull/44/

This check (on both verify and format goals) is skippable entirely with the
"xar.dates.skip property" (default to false) or
"xar.dates.skip.documentList" for individual documents (list of doc
references).

I need your vote for accepting the existing PR and for removing the
document dates (e.g. https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/pull/792) and
your feedback in case you know of any problems that this might create.

Also, please mention if you would prefer for this behavior to be skipped by
default (and explicitly enabled on XWiki Standard, so that 3rd party code
is not impacted by this change).

Here's my +1 (enabled by default and skippable if needed).

Thanks,
Eduard

Re: [VOTE] Update the xar plugin and stop committing XML wiki page date fields

Adel Atallah
+1 enabled by default, obviously.

Le mar. 31 juil. 2018 18:43, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi, devs.
>
> We have had 2 previous discussions on this topic:
> * July 2016 (discussion): https://markmail.org/thread/oodciq7pv6pj7eic
> * Jan 2018 (proposal): https://markmail.org/thread/ymwsebvr3k7voy3p
>
> And we have at least 2 issues on this topic:
> * Oct 2011: XWIKI-7058 <http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-7058>: Page
> creation date should be the date of the installation
> * Feb 2015: XCOMMONS-1447 <https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XCOMMONS-1447>:
> XAR plugin should replace the dates with a common number
>
> TL;DR: It's causing confusion for our users to install pages that are
> created in 2005/2009/etc. so we should avoid committing dates on git that
> users might end up installing.
>
> Reminder: Importing a document with empty dates will:
> * Use the current date if the document is new (i.e. does not exist in the
> wiki)
> * Use the existing dates if the document already exists in the wiki, if
> using backup import
> * Use the current user and current date for the document update date, if
> imported using non-backup import of EM extension install
>
> Adel and myself have extended the xar:verify and xar:format goals of the
> xar plugin to check for the existence of date fields in the XML wiki pages
> and to remove them. The fields are:
> * date
> * contentUpdateDate
> * creationDate
> * attachment/date
>
> See the PR https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-commons/pull/44/
>
> This check (on both verify and format goals) is skippable entirely with the
> "xar.dates.skip property" (default to false) or
> "xar.dates.skip.documentList" for individual documents (list of doc
> references).
>
> I need your vote for accepting the existing PR and for removing the
> document dates (e.g. https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/pull/792) and
> your feedback in case you know of any problems that this might create.
>
> Also, please mention if you would prefer for this behavior to be skipped by
> default (and explicitly enabled on XWiki Standard, so that 3rd party code
> is not impacted by this change).
>
> Here's my +1 (enabled by default and skippable if needed).
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard

Re: [VOTE] Update the xar plugin and stop committing XML wiki page date fields

+1

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 6:47 PM, Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 enabled by default, obviously.
>
> Le mar. 31 juil. 2018 18:43, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Hi, devs.
>>
>> We have had 2 previous discussions on this topic:
>> * July 2016 (discussion): https://markmail.org/thread/oodciq7pv6pj7eic
>> * Jan 2018 (proposal): https://markmail.org/thread/ymwsebvr3k7voy3p
>>
>> And we have at least 2 issues on this topic:
>> * Oct 2011: XWIKI-7058 <http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-7058>: Page
>> creation date should be the date of the installation
>> * Feb 2015: XCOMMONS-1447 <https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XCOMMONS-1447>:
>> XAR plugin should replace the dates with a common number
>>
>> TL;DR: It's causing confusion for our users to install pages that are
>> created in 2005/2009/etc. so we should avoid committing dates on git that
>> users might end up installing.
>>
>> Reminder: Importing a document with empty dates will:
>> * Use the current date if the document is new (i.e. does not exist in the
>> wiki)
>> * Use the existing dates if the document already exists in the wiki, if
>> using backup import
>> * Use the current user and current date for the document update date, if
>> imported using non-backup import of EM extension install
>>
>> Adel and myself have extended the xar:verify and xar:format goals of the
>> xar plugin to check for the existence of date fields in the XML wiki pages
>> and to remove them. The fields are:
>> * date
>> * contentUpdateDate
>> * creationDate
>> * attachment/date
>>
>> See the PR https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-commons/pull/44/
>>
>> This check (on both verify and format goals) is skippable entirely with the
>> "xar.dates.skip property" (default to false) or
>> "xar.dates.skip.documentList" for individual documents (list of doc
>> references).
>>
>> I need your vote for accepting the existing PR and for removing the
>> document dates (e.g. https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/pull/792) and
>> your feedback in case you know of any problems that this might create.
>>
>> Also, please mention if you would prefer for this behavior to be skipped by
>> default (and explicitly enabled on XWiki Standard, so that 3rd party code
>> is not impacted by this change).
>>
>> Here's my +1 (enabled by default and skippable if needed).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eduard

Re: [VOTE] Update the xar plugin and stop committing XML wiki page date fields

caubin
Hi,

+1 for enabled by default while being skippable if needed.

Thanks,
Clément

On 07/31/2018 06:52 PM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> +1
>
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 6:47 PM, Adel Atallah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1 enabled by default, obviously.
>>
>> Le mar. 31 juil. 2018 18:43, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi, devs.
>>>
>>> We have had 2 previous discussions on this topic:
>>> * July 2016 (discussion): https://markmail.org/thread/oodciq7pv6pj7eic
>>> * Jan 2018 (proposal): https://markmail.org/thread/ymwsebvr3k7voy3p
>>>
>>> And we have at least 2 issues on this topic:
>>> * Oct 2011: XWIKI-7058 <http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-7058>: Page
>>> creation date should be the date of the installation
>>> * Feb 2015: XCOMMONS-1447 <https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XCOMMONS-1447>:
>>> XAR plugin should replace the dates with a common number
>>>
>>> TL;DR: It's causing confusion for our users to install pages that are
>>> created in 2005/2009/etc. so we should avoid committing dates on git that
>>> users might end up installing.
>>>
>>> Reminder: Importing a document with empty dates will:
>>> * Use the current date if the document is new (i.e. does not exist in the
>>> wiki)
>>> * Use the existing dates if the document already exists in the wiki, if
>>> using backup import
>>> * Use the current user and current date for the document update date, if
>>> imported using non-backup import of EM extension install
>>>
>>> Adel and myself have extended the xar:verify and xar:format goals of the
>>> xar plugin to check for the existence of date fields in the XML wiki pages
>>> and to remove them. The fields are:
>>> * date
>>> * contentUpdateDate
>>> * creationDate
>>> * attachment/date
>>>
>>> See the PR https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-commons/pull/44/
>>>
>>> This check (on both verify and format goals) is skippable entirely with the
>>> "xar.dates.skip property" (default to false) or
>>> "xar.dates.skip.documentList" for individual documents (list of doc
>>> references).
>>>
>>> I need your vote for accepting the existing PR and for removing the
>>> document dates (e.g. https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/pull/792) and
>>> your feedback in case you know of any problems that this might create.
>>>
>>> Also, please mention if you would prefer for this behavior to be skipped by
>>> default (and explicitly enabled on XWiki Standard, so that 3rd party code
>>> is not impacted by this change).
>>>
>>> Here's my +1 (enabled by default and skippable if needed).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Eduard

Re: [VOTE] Update the xar plugin and stop committing XML wiki page date fields

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
+1 I would like to not have pages since 2005 anymore, hope everything else
will be ok

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 9:11 PM Clément Aubin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> +1 for enabled by default while being skippable if needed.
>
> Thanks,
> Clément
>
> On 07/31/2018 06:52 PM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> > +1
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 6:47 PM, Adel Atallah <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> +1 enabled by default, obviously.

> >:

> that

> the
> if

> the
> pages

> with the

> and

> skipped by
> code

Re: [VOTE] Update the xar plugin and stop committing XML wiki page date fields

Alex Cotiugă
Hi,

+1 for enabled by default while being skippable if needed.

Thanks,
Alex

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 1:52 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 7:43 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, devs.
>
> We have had 2 previous discussions on this topic:
> * July 2016 (discussion): https://markmail.org/thread/oodciq7pv6pj7eic
> * Jan 2018 (proposal): https://markmail.org/thread/ymwsebvr3k7voy3p
>
> And we have at least 2 issues on this topic:
> * Oct 2011: XWIKI-7058 <http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-7058>: Page
> creation date should be the date of the installation
> * Feb 2015: XCOMMONS-1447 <https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XCOMMONS-1447>:
> XAR plugin should replace the dates with a common number
>
> TL;DR: It's causing confusion for our users to install pages that are
> created in 2005/2009/etc. so we should avoid committing dates on git that
> users might end up installing.
>
> Reminder: Importing a document with empty dates will:
> * Use the current date if the document is new (i.e. does not exist in the
> wiki)
> * Use the existing dates if the document already exists in the wiki, if
> using backup import
> * Use the current user and current date for the document update date, if
> imported using non-backup import of EM extension install
>
> Adel and myself have extended the xar:verify and xar:format goals of the
> xar plugin to check for the existence of date fields in the XML wiki pages
> and to remove them. The fields are:
> * date
> * contentUpdateDate
> * creationDate
> * attachment/date
>
> See the PR https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-commons/pull/44/
>
> This check (on both verify and format goals) is skippable entirely with the
> "xar.dates.skip property" (default to false) or
> "xar.dates.skip.documentList" for individual documents (list of doc
> references).
>
> I need your vote for accepting the existing PR and for removing the
> document dates (e.g. https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/pull/792) and
> your feedback in case you know of any problems that this might create.
>
> Also, please mention if you would prefer for this behavior to be skipped by
> default (and explicitly enabled on XWiki Standard, so that 3rd party code
> is not impacted by this change).
>
> Here's my +1 (enabled by default and skippable if needed).
>
> Thanks,
> Eduard

Re: [VOTE] Update the xar plugin and stop committing XML wiki page date fields

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1

--
Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])