[VOTE] Use discourse for the "dev" mailing list

[VOTE] Use discourse for the "dev" mailing list

Guillaume Delhumeau
Hi devs,

I think we are now satisfied with our experimentation with the "users"
mailing list on discourse. I propose you to move the "dev" ML too.

My main point is that it allows advanced formatting (which is good when you
have complex proposals), meanwhile the formatting is lost with our
archiving tool like markmail (it's plain text).

Here is my +1.

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] Use discourse for the "dev" mailing list

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
I agree with the point of advanced formatting. Because of this I always
create a proposal on design.xwiki.org. I would love to create surveys and
to see how many people clicked on the links I gave.

I also hope more developers will tackle / read the debates we have on this
list.

It will be harder to separate devs from users with the move, since devs
will need more than 1 category: we will need votes, proposals, etc.

I still like reading my mails since I have all the filters mechanism that I
don't have on Discourse.

Not sure why I am hesitant a bit, but I really like the users participation
on Discourse and the features there, so I'm +1 (but maybe we can still keep
the mailing list for a while - not like we did for users :) )

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I think we are now satisfied with our experimentation with the "users"
> mailing list on discourse. I propose you to move the "dev" ML too.
>
> My main point is that it allows advanced formatting (which is good when you
> have complex proposals), meanwhile the formatting is lost with our
> archiving tool like markmail (it's plain text).
>
> Here is my +1.

> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] Use discourse for the "dev" mailing list

> On 11 Jul 2017, at 13:21, Guillaume Delhumeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> I think we are now satisfied with our experimentation with the "users"
> mailing list on discourse. I propose you to move the "dev" ML too.

I’m +0 on my side even though we don’t support yet replying my email. The principle negative impact is the unability to reply when offline and I use that regularly but I could live without.

When connected, I find that clicking the mail to reply isn’t that hard.

It would be better if we coud finish the setup to reply by mail but 1) that could wait a bit for me and 2) I’m not sure how well it would work.