[VOTE] Use {{html clean="false"}} as a best practice when developing applications

[VOTE] Use {{html clean="false"}} as a best practice when developing applications

I'd like to propose that we use, from now on, {{html clean="false"}} when
developing applications, because:

* HTML cleaning is an extra step that can increase page loading time
* the HTML cleaner can have bugs (like any other code) or unexpected
behaviour (like removing some elements or some attributes when you don't
expect it)
* when I make a mistake in my HTML code I'd like to detect it as soon as
possible, instead of letting the cleaner silently "fix" it for me. Note
that we would still have the webstandards validation tests as a safety net
(only for the default distribution though)

We should keep clean=true by default because we don't want the XWiki users
to break the XWiki UI too easily when they copy some HTML from the web and
paste it inside the HTML macro.

Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Use {{html clean="false"}} as a best practice when developing applications

Caleb James DeLisle-3
+1

On 15/07/16 16:13, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I'd like to propose that we use, from now on, {{html clean="false"}} when
> developing applications, because:
>
> * HTML cleaning is an extra step that can increase page loading time
> * the HTML cleaner can have bugs (like any other code) or unexpected
> behaviour (like removing some elements or some attributes when you don't
> expect it)
> * when I make a mistake in my HTML code I'd like to detect it as soon as
> possible, instead of letting the cleaner silently "fix" it for me. Note
> that we would still have the webstandards validation tests as a safety net
> (only for the default distribution though)
>
> We should keep clean=true by default because we don't want the XWiki users
> to break the XWiki UI too easily when they copy some HTML from the web and
> paste it inside the HTML macro.
>
> Here's my +1

> Marius

Re: [VOTE] Use {{html clean="false"}} as a best practice when developing applications

+0.95, depending on where it is actually used.

If it's about content (mostly forms) that the XWiki developers write as
part of applications, without any user-generated content, then +1.

If user content is involved, then always clean it.

If it's both, then I'd use two {{html}} macros, non-cleaned for our
content, cleaned for the user content, although this will rarely be
needed, since user content is already processed by the doc.display and
related methods.

On 07/15/2016 10:13 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I'd like to propose that we use, from now on, {{html clean="false"}} when
> developing applications, because:
>
> * HTML cleaning is an extra step that can increase page loading time
> * the HTML cleaner can have bugs (like any other code) or unexpected
> behaviour (like removing some elements or some attributes when you don't
> expect it)
> * when I make a mistake in my HTML code I'd like to detect it as soon as
> possible, instead of letting the cleaner silently "fix" it for me. Note
> that we would still have the webstandards validation tests as a safety net
> (only for the default distribution though)
>
> We should keep clean=true by default because we don't want the XWiki users
> to break the XWiki UI too easily when they copy some HTML from the web and
> paste it inside the HTML macro.
>
> Here's my +1

> Marius

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [VOTE] Use {{html clean="false"}} as a best practice when developing applications

+1 with the provisions mentioned by Sergiu.

However I’m not entirely confident about our HTML5/XHTML validation tools. Specifically, I’m not 100% convinced that they find all validation issues but I don’t know those tools well so I could be wrong. I do know that we exclude some vms for various reasons. Thus putting clean=false could increase the possibility of having non XHTML/HTML5-valid output without noticing it.

The good part is that on the long run it should allow us to fix non-XHTML/HTML5-valid code instead of having it fixed by the HTML Cleaner.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 with the provisions mentioned by Sergiu.
>
> However I’m not entirely confident about our HTML5/XHTML validation tools. Specifically, I’m not 100% convinced that they find all validation issues but I don’t know those tools well so I could be wrong. I do know that we exclude some vms for various reasons. Thus putting clean=false could increase the possibility of having non XHTML/HTML5-valid output without noticing it.
>
> The good part is that on the long run it should allow us to fix non-XHTML/HTML5-valid code instead of having it fixed by the HTML Cleaner.

>> On 15 Jul 2016, at 16:13, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I'd like to propose that we use, from now on, {{html clean="false"}} when
>> developing applications, because:
>>
>> * HTML cleaning is an extra step that can increase page loading time
>> * the HTML cleaner can have bugs (like any other code) or unexpected
>> behaviour (like removing some elements or some attributes when you don't
>> expect it)
>> * when I make a mistake in my HTML code I'd like to detect it as soon as
>> possible, instead of letting the cleaner silently "fix" it for me. Note
>> that we would still have the webstandards validation tests as a safety net
>> (only for the default distribution though)
>>
>> We should keep clean=true by default because we don't want the XWiki users
>> to break the XWiki UI too easily when they copy some HTML from the web and
>> paste it inside the HTML macro.
>>
>> Here's my +1
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marius

Re: [VOTE] Use {{html clean="false"}} as a best practice when developing applications

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
+1

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > +1 with the provisions mentioned by Sergiu.
> >
> > However I’m not entirely confident about our HTML5/XHTML validation
> tools. Specifically, I’m not 100% convinced that they find all validation
> issues but I don’t know those tools well so I could be wrong. I do know
> that we exclude some vms for various reasons. Thus putting clean=false
> could increase the possibility of having non XHTML/HTML5-valid output
> without noticing it.
> >
> > The good part is that on the long run it should allow us to fix
> non-XHTML/HTML5-valid code instead of having it fixed by the HTML Cleaner.

> >> On 15 Jul 2016, at 16:13, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi devs,
> >>
> >> I'd like to propose that we use, from now on, {{html clean="false"}}
> when
> >> developing applications, because:
> >>
> >> * HTML cleaning is an extra step that can increase page loading time
> >> * the HTML cleaner can have bugs (like any other code) or unexpected
> >> behaviour (like removing some elements or some attributes when you don't
> >> expect it)
> >> * when I make a mistake in my HTML code I'd like to detect it as soon as
> >> possible, instead of letting the cleaner silently "fix" it for me. Note
> >> that we would still have the webstandards validation tests as a safety
> net
> >> (only for the default distribution though)
> >>
> >> We should keep clean=true by default because we don't want the XWiki
> users
> >> to break the XWiki UI too easily when they copy some HTML from the web
> and
> >> paste it inside the HTML macro.
> >>
> >> Here's my +1
> >>
> >> WDYT?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Marius

Re: [VOTE] Use {{html clean="false"}} as a best practice when developing applications

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1

> +1
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Thomas Mortagne <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > +1 with the provisions mentioned by Sergiu.
> > >
> > > However I’m not entirely confident about our HTML5/XHTML validation
> > tools. Specifically, I’m not 100% convinced that they find all validation
> > issues but I don’t know those tools well so I could be wrong. I do know
> > that we exclude some vms for various reasons. Thus putting clean=false
> > could increase the possibility of having non XHTML/HTML5-valid output
> > without noticing it.
> > >
> > > The good part is that on the long run it should allow us to fix
> > non-XHTML/HTML5-valid code instead of having it fixed by the HTML
> Cleaner.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

> > when