Version Update Problems (7.3 Milestone 1)

Version Update Problems (7.3 Milestone 1)

laurin1
I am trying to update from 7.2 to 7.3 Milestone 1.

Almost every single time I do an update, I run into problems and either parts of the wiki don't work or it won't load at all.

Right now, won't load at all. Blank screen. No error, no nothing. Logs are not helping.

24-Oct-2015 08:07:08.398 INFO [Core extension repository updater] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkStateForResourceLoading Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load [org.xwiki.extension.repository.xwiki.internal.XWikiExtension]. The following stack trace is thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access.
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load [org.xwiki.extension.repository.xwiki.internal.XWikiExtension]. The following stack trace is thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access.
                at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkStateForResourceLoading(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1327)
                at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkStateForClassLoading(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1313)
                at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1196)
                at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1157)
                at org.xwiki.extension.repository.xwiki.internal.XWikiExtensionRepository.resolve(XWikiExtensionRepository.java:330)
                at org.xwiki.extension.repository.internal.DefaultExtensionRepositoryManager.resolve(DefaultExtensionRepositoryManager.java:213)
                at org.xwiki.extension.repository.internal.core.DefaultCoreExtensionScanner.updateExtensions(DefaultCoreExtensionScanner.java:187)
                at org.xwiki.extension.repository.internal.core.DefaultCoreExtensionRepository$1.run(DefaultCoreExtensionRepository.java:134)
                at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

2015-10-24 08:11:03,743 [localhost-startStop-1] ERROR .o.i.DefaultObservationManager - Failed to lookup listeners
org.xwiki.component.manager.ComponentLookupException: Failed to lookup component [role = [interface org.xwiki.observation.EventListener] hint = [solr.availablelocales]]
                at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstanceMap(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:216) ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstanceList(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:198) ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.xwiki.observation.internal.DefaultObservationManager.initializeListeners(DefaultObservationManager.java:164) [xwiki-commons-observation-local-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.xwiki.observation.internal.DefaultObservationManager.getListenersByEvent(DefaultObservationManager.java:131) [xwiki-commons-observation-local-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.xwiki.observation.internal.DefaultObservationManager.notify(DefaultObservationManager.java:267) [xwiki-commons-observation-local-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.xwiki.observation.internal.DefaultObservationManager.notify(DefaultObservationManager.java:321) [xwiki-commons-observation-local-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.xwiki.container.servlet.XWikiServletContextListener.contextInitialized(XWikiServletContextListener.java:118) [xwiki-platform-container-servlet-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4729) [catalina.jar:8.0.23]
                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5167) [catalina.jar:8.0.23]
                at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150) [catalina.jar:8.0.23]
                at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:725) [catalina.jar:8.0.23]
                at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:701) [catalina.jar:8.0.23]
                at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:717) [catalina.jar:8.0.23]
                at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1101) [catalina.jar:8.0.23]
                at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDirectory.run(HostConfig.java:1786) [catalina.jar:8.0.23]
                at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_60]
                at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_60]
                at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_60]
                at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_60]
                at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_60]
Caused by: org.xwiki.component.manager.ComponentLookupException: Failed to lookup component [org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.SolrInstanceProvider] identified by [role = [javax.inject.Provider<org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.api.SolrInstance>] hint = [default]]
                at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:394) ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:190) ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getDependencyInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:356) ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.createInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:312) ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:424) ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstanceMap(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:214) ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                ... 19 common frames omitted
Caused by: org.xwiki.component.phase.InitializationException: Failed to lookup configured Solr instance type [embedded]
                at org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.SolrInstanceProvider.initialize(SolrInstanceProvider.java:74) ~[xwiki-platform-search-solr-api-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.xwiki.component.embed.InitializableLifecycleHandler.handle(InitializableLifecycleHandler.java:39) ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.createInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:322) ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:424) ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:392) ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
                ... 24 common frames omitted

Re: Version Update Problems (7.3 Milestone 1)

Hi Keith,

On 24 Oct 2015 at 15:20:10, Keith Davis ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> I am trying to update from 7.2 to 7.3 Milestone 1.
>
> Almost every single time I do an update, I run into problems and either parts of the wiki don't work or it won't load at all.
>
> Right now, won't load at all. Blank screen. No error, no nothing. Logs are not helping.
>
> 24-Oct-2015 08:07:08.398 INFO [Core extension repository updater] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkStateForResourceLoading Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load [org.xwiki.extension.repository.xwiki.internal.XWikiExtension]. The following stack trace is thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access.
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load [org.xwiki.extension.repository.xwiki.internal.XWikiExtension]. The following stack trace is thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access.

[snip]

> Caused by: org.xwiki.component.phase.InitializationException: Failed to lookup configured Solr instance type [embedded]
> at org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.SolrInstanceProvider.initialize(SolrInstanceProvider.java:74) ~[xwiki-platform-search-solr-api-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]

[snip]

I don’t know how you did the upgrade (you didn’t mention) but the error above seems to indicate that you have an incomplete WAR file and that it’s missing the xwiki-platform-search-solr-api-<version>.jar JAR. Could you check if you have it in your WEB-INF/lib?

Re: Version Update Problems (7.3 Milestone 1)

laurin1
I extracted the WAR file (unzipped) to a new folder, copied over our WEB-INF/*.xml files (tried updating for anything new from the 7.3m1 version and using the 7.2 versions without changes) and the WEB-INF/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.24-bin.jar file.

Yes, the WEB-INF/lib/xwiki-platform-search-solr-api-7.3-milestone-1.jar file is there.

Thanks for your help.

Keith Davis (214) 906-5183

On 24 Oct 2015 at 15:20:10, Keith Davis ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email]))<mailto:[hidden email](mailto:[hidden email]))> wrote:

> I am trying to update from 7.2 to 7.3 Milestone 1.
>
> Almost every single time I do an update, I run into problems and either parts of the wiki don't work or it won't load at all.
>
> Right now, won't load at all. Blank screen. No error, no nothing. Logs are not helping.
>
> 24-Oct-2015 08:07:08.398 INFO [Core extension repository updater] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkStateForResourceLoading Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load [org.xwiki.extension.repository.xwiki.internal.XWikiExtension]. The following stack trace is thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access.
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load [org.xwiki.extension.repository.xwiki.internal.XWikiExtension]. The following stack trace is thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access.

[snip]

> Caused by: org.xwiki.component.phase.InitializationException: Failed to lookup configured Solr instance type [embedded]
> at org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.SolrInstanceProvider.initialize(SolrInstanceProvider.java:74) ~[xwiki-platform-search-solr-api-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]

[snip]

I don’t know how you did the upgrade (you didn’t mention) but the error above seems to indicate that you have an incomplete WAR file and that it’s missing the xwiki-platform-search-solr-api-<version>.jar JAR. Could you check if you have it in your WEB-INF/lib?

Re: Version Update Problems (7.3 Milestone 1)

Louis Höfler
This looks similar to this:
http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XE-1399
http://lists.xwiki.org/pipermail/users/2015-February/029906.html

You could also try to rerol your backups,
then try to delete the xml files stated in the bug report. (After you
have a proper backup).

Have you restarted your application server after replacing everything?
Did you made any changes to the catalina folder?

Greetings, Louis

Am 24.10.2015 um 15:20 schrieb Keith Davis:
> Failed to lookup configured Solr instance typ

Re: Version Update Problems (7.3 Milestone 1)

laurin1
"You could also try to reroll your backups, then try to delete the xml files stated in the bug report. (After you have a proper backup)."

Not sure what you mean. We use a mklink to switch between versions. When I switch back to 7.2, XWiki works fine.

"Have you restarted your application server after replacing everything?"

We restart every time we make any kind of configuration change (to Tomcat or XWiki) - too many settings don't take effect with it.

"Did you made any changes to the catalina folder?"

There was a bad <host> entry (using an invalid FQDN) that I removed, but I didn't remove that until I started troubleshooting this problem, and again did not and does not affect the prior version.

Keith Davis (214) 906-5183

You could also try to rerol your backups, then try to delete the xml files stated in the bug report. (After you have a proper backup).

Have you restarted your application server after replacing everything?
Did you made any changes to the catalina folder?

Greetings, Louis

Am 24.10.2015 um 15:20 schrieb Keith Davis:
> Failed to lookup configured Solr instance typ

Re: Version Update Problems (7.3 Milestone 1)

laurin1
That wasn't to catalina, that was to server.xml.

Keith Davis (214) 906-5183

You could also try to rerol your backups, then try to delete the xml files stated in the bug report. (After you have a proper backup).

Have you restarted your application server after replacing everything?
Did you made any changes to the catalina folder?

Greetings, Louis

Am 24.10.2015 um 15:20 schrieb Keith Davis:
> Failed to lookup configured Solr instance typ

Re: Version Update Problems (7.3 Milestone 1)

laurin1
I'm not even sure from reading that bug report which XML files need to be removed.

Keith Davis (214) 906-5183

That wasn't to catalina, that was to server.xml.

Keith Davis (214) 906-5183

You could also try to rerol your backups, then try to delete the xml files stated in the bug report. (After you have a proper backup).

Have you restarted your application server after replacing everything?
Did you made any changes to the catalina folder?

Greetings, Louis

Am 24.10.2015 um 15:20 schrieb Keith Davis:
> Failed to lookup configured Solr instance typ

Re: Version Update Problems (7.3 Milestone 1)

Is this the only thing that is logged from the moment you restart XWiki
till after you make the first request? The log you pasted doesn't seem to
show the real problem.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 4:20 PM, Keith Davis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
>                 at
> org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.createInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:322)
> ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
>                 at
> org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:424)
> ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
>                 at
> org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:392)
> ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
>                 ... 24 common frames omitted

Re: Version Update Problems (7.3 Milestone 1)

Honestly, I've wondered about that myself. I find the Tomcat logs to be very confusing. I stopped the service, cleared the logs, switched to 7.3 M1,  and started the service. Here is what I find.

tomcat8-stdout.2015-10-26.log.

Here are the errors in order found without stack trace:

2015-10-26 07:20:38,329 [localhost-startStop-1] ERROR o.x.s.s.i.SolrInstanceProvider -
org.xwiki.component.manager.ComponentLookupException: Failed to lookup component [org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.EmbeddedSolrInstance] identified by [role = [interface org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.api.SolrInstance] hint = [embedded]]

Caused by: org.xwiki.component.phase.InitializationException: Failed to initialize the Solr embedded server with home directory set to [\opt\tomcat7\data\solr]

Caused by: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Should not have found solr/@persistent
. Please upgrade your solr.xml: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Format+of+solr.xml

2015-10-26 07:20:38,331 [localhost-startStop-1] ERROR .o.i.DefaultObservationManager - Failed to lookup listeners

wrote:

> [...]
> izableLifecycleHandler.java:39)
> ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
>                 at
> org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.createInstance(Em
> beddableComponentManager.java:322)
> ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
>                 at
> org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInsta
> nce(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:424)
> ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
>                 at
> org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInsta
> nce(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:392)
> ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
>                 ... 24 common frames omitted

Re: Version Update Problems (7.3 Milestone 1)

Going on that "solr/@Persistent" error, I manually replaced solr.xml with the one from https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-search/xwiki-platform-search-solr/xwiki-platform-search-solr-server/xwiki-platform-search-solr-server-data/src/main/resources/solr.xml

Now, I get a whole new Caused by for that ERROR:

Caused by: org.apache.solr.client.solrj.SolrServerException: Failed to initialize the Solr core. Please check the configuration and log messages.

How are these config files supposed to be upgraded normally? It seems like my Solr config files are outdated.

Keith Davis (214) 906-5183

wrote:

> [...]
> izableLifecycleHandler.java:39)
> ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
>                 at
> org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.createInstance(Em
> beddableComponentManager.java:322)
> ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
>                 at
> org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInsta
> nce(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:424)
> ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
>                 at
> org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInsta
> nce(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:392)
> ~[xwiki-commons-legacy-component-default-7.3-milestone-1.jar:na]
>                 ... 24 common frames omitted

Re: Version Update Problems (7.3 Milestone 1)

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 2:51 PM, Keith Davis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Going on that "solr/@Persistent" error, I manually replaced solr.xml with
> the one from
> https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-search/xwiki-platform-search-solr/xwiki-platform-search-solr-server/xwiki-platform-search-solr-server-data/src/main/resources/solr.xml
>
> Now, I get a whole new Caused by for that ERROR:
>
> Caused by: org.apache.solr.client.solrj.SolrServerException: Failed to
> initialize the Solr core. Please check the configuration and log messages.
>

> How are these config files supposed to be upgraded normally? It seems like
> my Solr config files are outdated.

Before doing an upgrade you should check the "Backward Compatibility and
Migration Notes" section from the release notes of each intermediary
version. For 7.3M1 there is
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotesXWiki73M1#HIssuesspecifictoXWiki7.3-milestone-1
. There have been some changes to the Solr configuration files because we
upgraded Solr and because we fixed some issues that were affecting the
Slovak and Brazilian Portuguese speaking users. You should delete the Solr
folder from XWiki's permanent directory (\opt\tomcat7\data\solr). It will
be recreated after an XWiki restart.

Hope this helps,
Marius

> Keith Davis (214) 906-5183

Downloaded 7.3 M2, updated my config files. Deleted solr and lucene permanent directories. Presto!

Keith Davis (214) 906-5183