[Vote] Assignee for PR: Contributor or Committer?

[Vote] Assignee for PR: Contributor or Committer?

We have discussed this subject multiple times, but we don't have an
official vote and conclusion on the topic.

Problem: In JIRA who is the Assignee of an issue fixed by a Pull Request?
1: Contributor
- he provided the solution
- giving the attributions, the contributor might feel encouraged to
contribute more
- we could do some JIRA statistics on external contributions, but this use
case can be covered by  GitHub statistics

2: Committer
- he does the merging on his account and he becomes responsible for the
committed code.
- in case there are problems, the committer needs to find solution, since
we can't rely on contributors availability
- in doing the PR review, the committer spends a lot of time analyzing and
testing the provided solution

We are talking here about complete solutions provided by the PR, since in
case of partial solutions, the committer can assign himself on the issue
(depends on the quantity of modification he does).

Let me know what you think,

Re: [Vote] Assignee for PR: Contributor or Committer?

Marius Dumitru Florea
+1 for Contributor

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)

On 26 Nov 2014 at 14:21:48, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have discussed this subject multiple times, but we don't have an
> official vote and conclusion on the topic.
>
> Problem: In JIRA who is the Assignee of an issue fixed by a Pull Request?
> 1: Contributor
> - he provided the solution
> - giving the attributions, the contributor might feel encouraged to
> contribute more
> - we could do some JIRA statistics on external contributions, but this use
> case can be covered by GitHub statistics
>
> 2: Committer
> - he does the merging on his account and he becomes responsible for the
> committed code.
> - in case there are problems, the committer needs to find solution, since
> we can't rely on contributors availability
> - in doing the PR review, the committer spends a lot of time analyzing and
> testing the provided solution
>
> We are talking here about complete solutions provided by the PR, since in
> case of partial solutions, the committer can assign himself on the issue
> (depends on the quantity of modification he does).
>
> Let me know what you think,

It’s not easy to decide. Naturally I’m more tempted by solution 2 (committer) because it’s usually overall more work from the committer part (review, fix problems and maintain over the long run) and he’s taking the responsibility for it (in case it leads to problems he’s one who’s going to have to fix it and take the heat - he can try pushing it back to the contributor but it may or may not work ;)). Also handling a PR is some work for committers (we have a lot of open issues with PRs that prove this!) and it’s good that the committer is “rewarded" by being the assignee in jira too.

Note that the contributor is also already rewarded in the commit history on github and on our Hall of Fame on xwiki.org.

Now I’m not going to oppose 1 if everyone believes it’s better. If we do 1 we’ll just need to put clearly in the Committership page on xwiki.org the part about the responsibility when applying PRs.

> Caty

Re: [Vote] Assignee for PR: Contributor or Committer?

Jean SIMARD
+0

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 03:21:06PM +0200, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have discussed this subject multiple times, but we don't have an
> official vote and conclusion on the topic.
>
> Problem: In JIRA who is the Assignee of an issue fixed by a Pull Request?
> 1: Contributor
> - he provided the solution
> - giving the attributions, the contributor might feel encouraged to
> contribute more
> - we could do some JIRA statistics on external contributions, but this use
> case can be covered by  GitHub statistics
>
> 2: Committer
> - he does the merging on his account and he becomes responsible for the
> committed code.
> - in case there are problems, the committer needs to find solution, since
> we can't rely on contributors availability
> - in doing the PR review, the committer spends a lot of time analyzing and
> testing the provided solution
>
> We are talking here about complete solutions provided by the PR, since in
> case of partial solutions, the committer can assign himself on the issue
> (depends on the quantity of modification he does).
>
> Let me know what you think,
> Caty

Jean Simard
[hidden email]
Research engineer at XWiki SAS
http://www.xwiki.com
Committer on the XWiki.org project
http://www.xwiki.org

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 3:44 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26 Nov 2014 at 14:21:48, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have discussed this subject multiple times, but we don't have an
>> official vote and conclusion on the topic.
>>
>> Problem: In JIRA who is the Assignee of an issue fixed by a Pull Request?
>> 1: Contributor
>> - he provided the solution
>> - giving the attributions, the contributor might feel encouraged to
>> contribute more
>> - we could do some JIRA statistics on external contributions, but this use
>> case can be covered by GitHub statistics
>>
>> 2: Committer
>> - he does the merging on his account and he becomes responsible for the
>> committed code.
>> - in case there are problems, the committer needs to find solution, since
>> we can't rely on contributors availability
>> - in doing the PR review, the committer spends a lot of time analyzing and
>> testing the provided solution
>>
>> We are talking here about complete solutions provided by the PR, since in
>> case of partial solutions, the committer can assign himself on the issue
>> (depends on the quantity of modification he does).
>>
>> Let me know what you think,
>

> It’s not easy to decide. Naturally I’m more tempted by solution 2 (committer) because it’s usually overall more work from the committer part (review, fix problems and maintain over the long run) and he’s taking the responsibility for it (in case it leads to problems he’s one who’s going to have to fix it and take the heat - he can try pushing it back to the contributor but it may or may not work ;)). Also handling a PR is some work for committers (we have a lot of open issues with PRs that prove this!) and it’s good that the committer is “rewarded" by being the assignee in jira too.

This is also true if the committer is no longer available or if he is
busy with some other module/task. And anyway, if the time passed since
the issue was closed is long enough to make the Contributor
unavailable then that issue is probably closed and released so we need
to open another issue which will have a different assignee.

> Note that the contributor is also already rewarded in the commit history on github and on our Hall of Fame on xwiki.org.
>
> Now I’m not going to oppose 1 if everyone believes it’s better. If we do 1 we’ll just need to put clearly in the Committership page on xwiki.org the part about the responsibility when applying PRs.

>> Caty

Re: [Vote] Assignee for PR: Contributor or Committer?

I'm +1 for Contributor (if the PR is complete).

Is kind of the committer's job to do the PR review and although this is
hard work :) encouraging the contributor in making more PRs and maybe then
voting him as committer is a nice strategy.
We can always see in the Commits tab who did the merge.

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Jean SIMARD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +0
>
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 03:21:06PM +0200, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have discussed this subject multiple times, but we don't have an
> > official vote and conclusion on the topic.
> >
> > Problem: In JIRA who is the Assignee of an issue fixed by a Pull Request?
> > 1: Contributor
> > - he provided the solution
> > - giving the attributions, the contributor might feel encouraged to
> > contribute more
> > - we could do some JIRA statistics on external contributions, but this
> use
> > case can be covered by  GitHub statistics
> >
> > 2: Committer
> > - he does the merging on his account and he becomes responsible for the
> > committed code.
> > - in case there are problems, the committer needs to find solution, since
> > we can't rely on contributors availability
> > - in doing the PR review, the committer spends a lot of time analyzing
> and
> > testing the provided solution
> >
> > We are talking here about complete solutions provided by the PR, since in
> > case of partial solutions, the committer can assign himself on the issue
> > (depends on the quantity of modification he does).
> >
> > Let me know what you think,
> > Caty

> Jean Simard
> [hidden email]
> Research engineer at XWiki SAS
> http://www.xwiki.com
> Committer on the XWiki.org project
> http://www.xwiki.org

Re: [Vote] Assignee for PR: Contributor or Committer?

Eduard Moraru

Well, my initial reaction was also to go for Option 2, because the issue
tracker is not the right place to give credit, it's temporary and that the
code's commit history and PRs is the way to accept people's contributions
and give credit.

However, for the sake of trying to motivate people and have more
contributors/committers (and we need that more IMO than anything else), I`m
voting for Option 1, with the mention that we can have cases when the
author of an accepted PR does not have a jira account so then the committer
closing the issue is forced to assign himself and probably add a comment
saying that the applied the PR authored by X.

Thanks,
Eduard

wrote:

> On 26 Nov 2014 at 14:21:48, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email]
> (mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have discussed this subject multiple times, but we don't have an
> > official vote and conclusion on the topic.
> >
> > Problem: In JIRA who is the Assignee of an issue fixed by a Pull Request?
> > 1: Contributor
> > - he provided the solution
> > - giving the attributions, the contributor might feel encouraged to
> > contribute more
> > - we could do some JIRA statistics on external contributions, but this
> use
> > case can be covered by GitHub statistics
> >
> > 2: Committer
> > - he does the merging on his account and he becomes responsible for the
> > committed code.
> > - in case there are problems, the committer needs to find solution, since
> > we can't rely on contributors availability
> > - in doing the PR review, the committer spends a lot of time analyzing
> and
> > testing the provided solution
> >
> > We are talking here about complete solutions provided by the PR, since in
> > case of partial solutions, the committer can assign himself on the issue
> > (depends on the quantity of modification he does).
> >
> > Let me know what you think,
>
> It’s not easy to decide. Naturally I’m more tempted by solution 2
> (committer) because it’s usually overall more work from the committer part
> (review, fix problems and maintain over the long run) and he’s taking the
> responsibility for it (in case it leads to problems he’s one who’s going to
> have to fix it and take the heat - he can try pushing it back to the
> contributor but it may or may not work ;)). Also handling a PR is some work
> for committers (we have a lot of open issues with PRs that prove this!) and
> it’s good that the committer is “rewarded" by being the assignee in jira
> too.
>
> Note that the contributor is also already rewarded in the commit history
> on github and on our Hall of Fame on xwiki.org.
>
> Now I’m not going to oppose 1 if everyone believes it’s better. If we do 1
> we’ll just need to put clearly in the Committership page on xwiki.org the
> part about the responsibility when applying PRs.

> > Caty

Re: [Vote] Assignee for PR: Contributor or Committer?

PascalB
+1 for contributor (If I'm allow to vote ;-) )

because identify/isolate issue + create/describe issue on jira + screenshot AND find patch + test (almost) all usercaset + PR taking time and effort too :-)

Pascal B (a tiny contributor) :-)
      De : Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
 À : XWiki Developers <[hidden email]>
 Envoyé le : Mercredi 26 novembre 2014 14h57
 Objet : Re: [xwiki-devs] [Vote] Assignee for PR: Contributor or Committer?

I'm +1 for Contributor (if the PR is complete).

Is kind of the committer's job to do the PR review and although this is
hard work :) encouraging the contributor in making more PRs and maybe then
voting him as committer is a nice strategy.
We can always see in the Commits tab who did the merge.

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Jean SIMARD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +0
>
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 03:21:06PM +0200, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have discussed this subject multiple times, but we don't have an
> > official vote and conclusion on the topic.
> >
> > Problem: In JIRA who is the Assignee of an issue fixed by a Pull Request?
> > 1: Contributor
> > - he provided the solution
> > - giving the attributions, the contributor might feel encouraged to
> > contribute more
> > - we could do some JIRA statistics on external contributions, but this
> use
> > case can be covered by  GitHub statistics
> >
> > 2: Committer
> > - he does the merging on his account and he becomes responsible for the
> > committed code.
> > - in case there are problems, the committer needs to find solution, since
> > we can't rely on contributors availability
> > - in doing the PR review, the committer spends a lot of time analyzing
> and
> > testing the provided solution
> >
> > We are talking here about complete solutions provided by the PR, since in
> > case of partial solutions, the committer can assign himself on the issue
> > (depends on the quantity of modification he does).
> >
> > Let me know what you think,
> > Caty

> Jean Simard
> [hidden email]
> Research engineer at XWiki SAS
> http://www.xwiki.com
> Committer on the XWiki.org project
> http://www.xwiki.org

Re: [Vote] Assignee for PR: Contributor or Committer?

This is not the first time we discuss that I had the impression it was
ok for everyone to put 1: contributor.

It's very easy to know what committer applied the pull request and I
feel that the issue should be assigned to who actually fixed/done what
is described, there is never too much contribution rewards.

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)

> We have discussed this subject multiple times, but we don't have an
> official vote and conclusion on the topic.
>
> Problem: In JIRA who is the Assignee of an issue fixed by a Pull Request?
> 1: Contributor
> - he provided the solution
> - giving the attributions, the contributor might feel encouraged to
> contribute more
> - we could do some JIRA statistics on external contributions, but this use
> case can be covered by  GitHub statistics
>
> 2: Committer
> - he does the merging on his account and he becomes responsible for the
> committed code.
> - in case there are problems, the committer needs to find solution, since
> we can't rely on contributors availability
> - in doing the PR review, the committer spends a lot of time analyzing and
> testing the provided solution
>
> We are talking here about complete solutions provided by the PR, since in
> case of partial solutions, the committer can assign himself on the issue
> (depends on the quantity of modification he does).
>
> Let me know what you think,
> Caty

Re: [Vote] Assignee for PR: Contributor or Committer?

+1 for 1.

On 11/26/2014 08:21 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have discussed this subject multiple times, but we don't have an
> official vote and conclusion on the topic.
>
> Problem: In JIRA who is the Assignee of an issue fixed by a Pull Request?
> 1: Contributor
> - he provided the solution
> - giving the attributions, the contributor might feel encouraged to
> contribute more
> - we could do some JIRA statistics on external contributions, but this use
> case can be covered by  GitHub statistics
>
> 2: Committer
> - he does the merging on his account and he becomes responsible for the
> committed code.
> - in case there are problems, the committer needs to find solution, since
> we can't rely on contributors availability
> - in doing the PR review, the committer spends a lot of time analyzing and
> testing the provided solution
>
> We are talking here about complete solutions provided by the PR, since in
> case of partial solutions, the committer can assign himself on the issue
> (depends on the quantity of modification he does).
>
> Let me know what you think,
> Caty

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: [Vote] Assignee for PR: Contributor or Committer?

Vote 1: Contributor received 5 +1 binding, and 1 +1 non binding votes.

Thanks for your votes.

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 7:39 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for 1.
>
> On 11/26/2014 08:21 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have discussed this subject multiple times, but we don't have an
> > official vote and conclusion on the topic.
> >
> > Problem: In JIRA who is the Assignee of an issue fixed by a Pull Request?
> > 1: Contributor
> > - he provided the solution
> > - giving the attributions, the contributor might feel encouraged to
> > contribute more
> > - we could do some JIRA statistics on external contributions, but this
> use
> > case can be covered by  GitHub statistics
> >
> > 2: Committer
> > - he does the merging on his account and he becomes responsible for the
> > committed code.
> > - in case there are problems, the committer needs to find solution, since
> > we can't rely on contributors availability
> > - in doing the PR review, the committer spends a lot of time analyzing
> and
> > testing the provided solution
> >
> > We are talking here about complete solutions provided by the PR, since in
> > case of partial solutions, the committer can assign himself on the issue
> > (depends on the quantity of modification he does).
> >
> > Let me know what you think,
> > Caty
>
> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: [Vote] Assignee for PR: Contributor or Committer?

We forgot to document it so I’ve put it at http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DevelopmentPractices#HRule:Assigncontributorwhenthere27saPullRequest

Also note that several use cases were missing so I’ve added some too, please verify they’re ok for you:
* no jira account
* substantial rewrite of the PR