[Vote] New XWiki.org Homepage

12

[Vote] New XWiki.org Homepage

I've been working for a new XWiki.org homepage. You can find it live at
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgCode/WebHome

Static screenshots at:
Slide1<http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S1.png>,
Slide2<http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S2.png>,
Slide3<http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S3.png>

Any feedback regarding this work is welcomed.

I'm asking for your vote to make this proposal the default homepage for
XWiki.org.
This is my +1.

Re: [Vote] New XWiki.org Homepage

Paul Libbrecht-2
Ecaterina,

I find it cute but crowded.
It represents well the activity of xwiki.org I find.

The font is small, the information is real dense.
I would enlarge the font a bit and put less text, e.g. , in blog-post-extracts.

The blog-list is somewhat mono-maniac to my taste. Will such a design come with editors' guidelines on what to put where (I know it's automatic but its policies have to be controlled; e.g. flagged mailing-list entries would fit into blog-posts as well, that should be called "life signs" or so?). XWiki usages is full of diversity but this is not properly shown there (inviting users to announce their releases would be useful for example).

My +1 if there's no other discussion.

paul

Le 29 févr. 2012 à 22:03, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) a écrit :

> Hi devs,
>
> I've been working for a new XWiki.org homepage. You can find it live at
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgCode/WebHome
>
> Static screenshots at:
> Slide1<http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S1.png>,
> Slide2<http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S2.png>,
> Slide3<http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S3.png>
>
> Any feedback regarding this work is welcomed.
>
> I'm asking for your vote to make this proposal the default homepage for
> XWiki.org.
> This is my +1.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty

Re: [Vote] New XWiki.org Homepage

sorinello
Hello Ecaterina,

I have only aspect which I don't like about this page. At home, I have a
24" display with 1920x1080 resolution, and I find that the text feed from
the blog is too small and it has very long lines. In order to read these
long lines, I have to literally move my head. 1920x1080 is becoming a very
common resolution, so we should do something about it.
Losing the panels from the left side (as we have it now on xwiki.org),
makes the central content section even wider. I'd propose we set a max
width for the page or increase a little bit the font size.

Also, viewing the page from a 27" monitor with  2560x1440 resolution makes
the page even more hard to read. I am also aware that 2560x1440 is a pretty
exotic resolution. Here you can find an image using 2560x1440 resolution.
1920x1080 suffers from the same "effect", but it's not that visible.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/xwiki.jpg/

Besides this aspect, I like the new redesign.

Regards,
Sorin B.

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ecaterina,
>
> I find it cute but crowded.
> It represents well the activity of xwiki.org I find.
>
> The font is small, the information is real dense.
> I would enlarge the font a bit and put less text, e.g. , in
> blog-post-extracts.
>
> The blog-list is somewhat mono-maniac to my taste. Will such a design come
> with editors' guidelines on what to put where (I know it's automatic but
> its policies have to be controlled; e.g. flagged mailing-list entries would
> fit into blog-posts as well, that should be called "life signs" or so?).
> XWiki usages is full of diversity but this is not properly shown there
> (inviting users to announce their releases would be useful for example).
>
> My +1 if there's no other discussion.
>
> paul
>

> Le 29 févr. 2012 à 22:03, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) a écrit :
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I've been working for a new XWiki.org homepage. You can find it live at
> > http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgCode/WebHome
> >
> > Static screenshots at:
> > Slide1<
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S1.png
> >,
> > Slide2<
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S2.png
> >,
> > Slide3<
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S3.png
> >

> > Any feedback regarding this work is welcomed.
> >
> > I'm asking for your vote to make this proposal the default homepage for
> > XWiki.org.
> > This is my +1.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty

Re: [Vote] New XWiki.org Homepage

Anca Luca
It's so beautifuuuul!

However, I agree with Sorin: the images you linked look very well, but
the live thing, on my machine (and I am only 1366 width) looked a little
less great, I'm not sure I would be able to say why (maybe because my
fonts are small), might have something to do with the middle section
expanding a lot compared to the other sections.

Ah, just opened it with a normal browser which doesn't have extra small
fonts, and I agree with Paul about the font size: it's perfect _for me_,
but usually this means that it's a bit too small for everybody else.
Also, it looks to me that there's a too little space between the letters
which makes it even harder to read (maybe it's the fault of my fonts).
Here's a print of this:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/521/screenshotat20120301104.png/

Also, it took me a while to realize that there is quite an amount of
useful information in the banner (the top "infographic" area) with links
et all. Initially I thought they're just a carousel with marketing images.

Otherwise it's great, it's a beautiful improvement over what we had.

About the footer with links, we should probably integrate this in the
platform by default, editable in a wiki page or so. We so often need it
and it's so "today".

Thanks,
Anca

On 03/01/2012 09:50 AM, Sorin Burjan wrote:

> Hello Ecaterina,
>
> I have only aspect which I don't like about this page. At home, I have a
> 24" display with 1920x1080 resolution, and I find that the text feed from
> the blog is too small and it has very long lines. In order to read these
> long lines, I have to literally move my head. 1920x1080 is becoming a very
> common resolution, so we should do something about it.
> Losing the panels from the left side (as we have it now on xwiki.org),
> makes the central content section even wider. I'd propose we set a max
> width for the page or increase a little bit the font size.
>
> Also, viewing the page from a 27" monitor with  2560x1440 resolution makes
> the page even more hard to read. I am also aware that 2560x1440 is a pretty
> exotic resolution. Here you can find an image using 2560x1440 resolution.
> 1920x1080 suffers from the same "effect", but it's not that visible.
> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/xwiki.jpg/
>
> Besides this aspect, I like the new redesign.
>
> Regards,
> Sorin B.
>
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Paul Libbrecht<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Ecaterina,
>>
>> I find it cute but crowded.
>> It represents well the activity of xwiki.org I find.
>>
>> The font is small, the information is real dense.
>> I would enlarge the font a bit and put less text, e.g. , in
>> blog-post-extracts.
>>
>> The blog-list is somewhat mono-maniac to my taste. Will such a design come
>> with editors' guidelines on what to put where (I know it's automatic but
>> its policies have to be controlled; e.g. flagged mailing-list entries would
>> fit into blog-posts as well, that should be called "life signs" or so?).
>> XWiki usages is full of diversity but this is not properly shown there
>> (inviting users to announce their releases would be useful for example).
>>
>> My +1 if there's no other discussion.
>>
>> paul
>>

>> Le 29 févr. 2012 à 22:03, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> I've been working for a new XWiki.org homepage. You can find it live at
>>> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgCode/WebHome
>>>
>>> Static screenshots at:
>>> Slide1<
>> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S1.png
>>> ,
>>> Slide2<
>> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S2.png
>>> ,
>>> Slide3<
>> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S3.png
>>>
>>> Any feedback regarding this work is welcomed.
>>>
>>> I'm asking for your vote to make this proposal the default homepage for
>>> XWiki.org.
>>> This is my +1.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Caty

Re: [Vote] New XWiki.org Homepage

Fabio Mancinelli-4
Very nice Caty!

I have some remarks though...

* Shouldn't there be a prominent and always visibile "Download XWiki"
button somewhere?

* I've noticed that all the current blog posts are really just release
announcements... As Paul said, it's a bit monothematic. I am not sure
that such a big space should be dedicated to this kind information. If
it's just release announcements we might find a better way to use this
space.

* I also agree with Paul and Sorin about the fact that's a bit
overcrowded and fonts are too small (which goes a bit against the
"mainstream" way for building sites, i.e., with big fonts, buttons and
minimal text). Keep in mind that I am on 1920x1080 as well.

-Fabio

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)

On Mar 1, 2012, at 11:47 AM, Fabio Mancinelli wrote:

> Very nice Caty!
>
> I have some remarks though...
>
> * Shouldn't there be a prominent and always visibile "Download XWiki"
> button somewhere?
>
> * I've noticed that all the current blog posts are really just release
> announcements... As Paul said, it's a bit monothematic. I am not sure
> that such a big space should be dedicated to this kind information. If
> it's just release announcements we might find a better way to use this
> space.

Blog posts are *NOT* supposed to be only about releases. It's just that nobody publishes anything. I do publish other stuff from time to time, for example:
* http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
* http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/XEXEM30IssueStats
* http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/XWiki+is+participating+in+Google+Summer+of+Code+2011

So, get moving guys! :)

> * I also agree with Paul and Sorin about the fact that's a bit
> overcrowded and fonts are too small (which goes a bit against the
> "mainstream" way for building sites, i.e., with big fonts, buttons and
> minimal text). Keep in mind that I am on 1920x1080 as well.
>
> -Fabio
>

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I've been working for a new XWiki.org homepage. You can find it live at
>> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgCode/WebHome
>>
>> Static screenshots at:
>> Slide1<http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S1.png>,
>> Slide2<http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S2.png>,
>> Slide3<http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S3.png>
>>
>> Any feedback regarding this work is welcomed.
>>
>> I'm asking for your vote to make this proposal the default homepage for
>> XWiki.org.
>> This is my +1.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Caty

Re: [Vote] New XWiki.org Homepage

Paul Libbrecht-2
Vincent,

I think some guidelines to this effect would help.
And I believe it is essential that these are monitored!

Also, what about a valuable mailing-list announce? What about blogs elsewehere?
E.g. Joshua Marks announced recently we passed 250'000 members in Curriki.
Should these all be blog-posted?

Missing guidelines on Curriki.org about blog posts have lead it to high spam usage (and has been removed), and also fairly high on i2geo.net...

paul

Le 1 mars 2012 à 11:54, Vincent Massol a écrit :

> Blog posts are *NOT* supposed to be only about releases. It's just that nobody publishes anything. I do publish other stuff from time to time, for example:
> * http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
> * http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/XEXEM30IssueStats
> * http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/XWiki+is+participating+in+Google+Summer+of+Code+2011
>
> So, get moving guys! :)

Re: [Vote] New XWiki.org Homepage

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi Caty,

I like it overall, with a number of caveats (from top to bottom looking at
the interface):

   - The orange color of the top banner is a bit too dark. Also, why not
   use a gradient image like on the newer 3.5 color themes?
   - The download button is not very visible anymore in the menu
   - I don't like the "dotted" background of the carousel. Again, I find it
   a bit too dark
   - I'm not really convinced by the usage of cubes to represent the
   relationship between various XWiki projects. On slide 1, it makes it look
   like Manager is 10 times larger than the core, when in fact the opposite is
   true. On slide 3, the list of cubes on the left isn't very readable either.
   - When hovering the mouse over the menu / carousel I sometimes see some
   diagonal stripes flickering over the screen (I'm trying to provide the
   steps to reproduce)

Now what I like:

   - I like the second slide of the carousel :-)
   - I like the fact that fresh information appears on the homepage. One
   way to solve the large screen issues could be to make the "References"
   column a bit wider and the "Blog" one thinner.
   - I like the footer. Indeed, making it generic would be interesting.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume

2012/3/1 Fabio Mancinelli <[hidden email]>:
> Very nice Caty!

Yes very nice !

> I have some remarks though...
>
> * Shouldn't there be a prominent and always visibile "Download XWiki"
> button somewhere?

+1

> * I've noticed that all the current blog posts are really just release
> announcements... As Paul said, it's a bit monothematic. I am not sure
> that such a big space should be dedicated to this kind information. If
> it's just release announcements we might find a better way to use this
> space.

I think it's ok to have news on the home. It's a good thing. However
it would be good to also write some other articles than just news
announcements

> * I also agree with Paul and Sorin about the fact that's a bit
> overcrowded and fonts are too small (which goes a bit against the
> "mainstream" way for building sites, i.e., with big fonts, buttons and
> minimal text). Keep in mind that I am on 1920x1080 as well.

On the fonts, my main remark is that it's seems to be using a "serif"
font which is usually not recommended for web. I have the feeling it
will look weird compared to the rest of the xwiki.org site. I don't
think we should use different fonts or then we should be coherent. The
serif right away struck my eyes.

Ludovic

> -Fabio
>

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I've been working for a new XWiki.org homepage. You can find it live at
>> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgCode/WebHome
>>
>> Static screenshots at:
>> Slide1<http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S1.png>,
>> Slide2<http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S2.png>,
>> Slide3<http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S3.png>
>>
>> Any feedback regarding this work is welcomed.
>>
>> I'm asking for your vote to make this proposal the default homepage for
>> XWiki.org.
>> This is my +1.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Caty

Founder and CEO
Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org/
XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost

On Mar 1, 2012, at 12:17 PM, Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> Vincent,
>
> I think some guidelines to this effect would help.

Indeed we need guidelines. We need to decide what is good to post and what is not.

Who wants to lead a proposal on this in a separate thread?

> And I believe it is essential that these are monitored!

IMO all committers should be allowed to post without moderation.

Others could submit new blogs posts but they should be reviewed before being posted.

> Also, what about a valuable mailing-list announce?

Yes, this has been mentioned a few times AFAIR.

> What about blogs elsewehere?
> E.g. Joshua Marks announced recently we passed 250'000 members in Curriki.
> Should these all be blog-posted?

That's part of the guidelines we need to decide on.

> Missing guidelines on Curriki.org about blog posts have lead it to high spam usage (and has been removed), and also fairly high on i2geo.net…

I agree we should have guidelines.

Let's make this a separate thread.

> paul
>

> Le 1 mars 2012 à 11:54, Vincent Massol a écrit :
>
>> Blog posts are *NOT* supposed to be only about releases. It's just that nobody publishes anything. I do publish other stuff from time to time, for example:
>> * http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
>> * http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/XEXEM30IssueStats
>> * http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/XWiki+is+participating+in+Google+Summer+of+Code+2011
>>
>> So, get moving guys! :)

Re: [Vote] New XWiki.org Homepage

Roman Muntyanu
Hello Caty,

  First a use-case of my first perception of the the page:
     1) quick glance at the items in the left
     2) distracted by the cube animation
     3) try to click the cube thinking it does something
     4) analyze what info is in the blogposts section
     5) quick glance at Community hearbeat and powered by
     6) scroll the page down and learn that there's nothing important for me there
     7) scroll back to the top and study the connections
     8) try to hovering the mouse on the cubes and watch them animate
     9) (a lot later) notice that when I hover the mouse, description changes
     10) (accidentally) click one of the buttons of the carousel and surprised by the animation
     12) I thought that those screens were different options for new xwiki home page so I tried comparing them. Finally I understood that those are different info screens.
     13) Compared design of cubes on page 1 and 3 (3 seemed better)
     14) tried clicking on the cube with "+" on page 3
     15) realized that I have a feeling of inconsistency with the colors
     16) never noticed "All projects" on the first page
     17) got frustrated how the animation starts for the cube on the page 1. Then understood that it starts when mouse enters the slide area. Noticed that cubes shiver like going to explode when reduce in size.

  I have following major comments
   * Fonts. Mix of different font types, different font sizes and all-capital vs camel words makes it hard to understand which info is important and which is not.
   * Size as relevance. Object sizes on the first page MUST hint the user what information he would rather look at next (e.g. http://www.ibm.com/us/en/, even http://www.jetbrains.com/youtrack/ ) . There's a misbalance in it. E.g. Platform, Enterprise, Manager, XEclipse and XOffice are the first candidates for the next browsing, but they are represented as tiny cubes, more over they are "pushed" out of sight into the left corner (1680x1050).
   * I literally look at 3 dots and the empty space around while focused at the center of my screen (1680x1050)
   * Animation.
   * Colors. I first got a feeling of deja vu about the cube colors. Then I remembered where I saw similar:
            http://www.xcomufo.com/ufo/battleship2.jpg
            http://push.cx/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/xcom.png
            http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/421342-x-com-ufo-defense-windows-screenshot-entering-an-alien-base.jpg
            http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Uberbucket/UFO%20Lets%20Play/62%20CydoniaSurface/24TenthSectoidDead.png
            http://www.linuxsoft.cz/screenshot_img/1349-a.jpg
       to name some ... I would agree that it brings extraterrestrial look, and would agree that you can combine all those colors (pink-purple, green, red, orange) in one page (http://echostorms.net/Resources/Items/diablo%202%20gems%20and%20jewels.png) but I personally dislike mixes of some colors within one shape (I mean gradient in the cubes Violer-Puple-Red, Red-Orange-Yellow-Pink etc). And those colors do not match the header color.
   * Mix of styles. The cubes are in simplistic 2D style, while the menu bar has a Win-7-like bevel and glossiness.

  I know I'm not in the position to make suggestions however ...
   * I like that your cubes if totally mapped to 2D turn into hexagons ( http://www.clker.com/clipart-3d-hexagon.html ) . It's pretty common to use cubes to show extensibility. But hexagons could be used for the same purpose ( http://www.mcfunkypants.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Catan.jpg ) , leaving more place for styling:
          http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=55704010
          http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=58237474
          http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-70819066/stock-vector-vector-illustration-of-d-hexagonal-symbols.html (you can put logo of the component inside)
   * I like the concept of mapping Platform, Enterprise and Manager colors onto animated cube to show their places in the system. But I think that semi-transparent 2-d image on the back would better serve the purpose. The info could be displayed in the following way. E.g. Platform hexagon as the center, Enterprise, Manager, XEclipse, XOffice, More Projects hexagons around it, then a bit detached hexagon highlighting extensions (those that currently on the page 3 + "more" ). Then we can do the animation - highlight different groups of hexagons and display relevant info side to this "mind map". I can make a drawing later today if you're interested ...

  Regards,
Roman

Any feedback regarding this work is welcomed.

I'm asking for your vote to make this proposal the default homepage for XWiki.org.
This is my +1.

Re: [Vote] New XWiki.org Homepage

Thank you all for your comments.

- Regarding font-size: The resolution problem is not just for this design
but for all the pages that are on xwiki.org and even on any other page on
the web. Using a big resolution mean that you will have small icons, small
fonts, etc. Using @media queries is very easy to adapt the resolution and
make it bigger, but is this what the user wants? He uses a big resolution
on purpose, so maybe he doesn't want people to mess up with his
preferences.
Another nice thing about this proposal is that is uses a relative unit for
the font size. The user can use the zoom option of his browser and adjust
to the size he wants.

- Regarding a fixed width for the content: It would have been so much easy
for me to have a fixed width layout for the whole site, so many
extensibility problems (regarding sizes, layout, flow, alignment, images)
would have been solved much easier for me.
First of all you can't have a fixed width just for the Homepage because it
would look awkward.
Second, xwiki.org contains lots of documentation pages that have lots of
text and allowing this text to take all the space it needs is a good
thing.
Also especially since there are so many resolutions available now it would
be a pity to have just a 980px container of documentation text and the rest
to be just white space. When I'm saying this I am referring especially to
xwiki.org scope as a documentation site.

- Regarding the "Download XWiki" visibility: a solution would be to have
Slide2 as the first slide in the carousel, making it more visible this way.

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:47, Fabio Mancinelli
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Very nice Caty!
>
> I have some remarks though...
>
> * Shouldn't there be a prominent and always visibile "Download XWiki"
> button somewhere?
>
> * I've noticed that all the current blog posts are really just release
> announcements... As Paul said, it's a bit monothematic. I am not sure
> that such a big space should be dedicated to this kind information. If
> it's just release announcements we might find a better way to use this
> space.
>
> * I also agree with Paul and Sorin about the fact that's a bit
> overcrowded and fonts are too small (which goes a bit against the
> "mainstream" way for building sites, i.e., with big fonts, buttons and
> minimal text). Keep in mind that I am on 1920x1080 as well.
>
> -Fabio
>

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I've been working for a new XWiki.org homepage. You can find it live at
> > http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgCode/WebHome
> >
> > Static screenshots at:
> > Slide1<
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S1.png
> >,
> > Slide2<
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S2.png
> >,
> > Slide3<
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S3.png
> >

> > Any feedback regarding this work is welcomed.
> >
> > I'm asking for your vote to make this proposal the default homepage for
> > XWiki.org.
> > This is my +1.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty

Re: [Vote] New XWiki.org Homepage

Hi Guillaume,

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 13:31, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Caty,
>
> I like it overall, with a number of caveats (from top to bottom looking at
> the interface):
>
>   - The orange color of the top banner is a bit too dark. Also, why not
>   use a gradient image like on the newer 3.5 color themes?
>   - The download button is not very visible anymore in the menu
>   - I don't like the "dotted" background of the carousel. Again, I find it
>   a bit too dark
>   - I'm not really convinced by the usage of cubes to represent the
>   relationship between various XWiki projects. On slide 1, it makes it look
>   like Manager is 10 times larger than the core, when in fact the opposite
> is
>   true. On slide 3, the list of cubes on the left isn't very readable
> either.
>   - When hovering the mouse over the menu / carousel I sometimes see some
>   diagonal stripes flickering over the screen (I'm trying to provide the
>   steps to reproduce)
>
> Now what I like:
>
>   - I like the second slide of the carousel :-)
>   - I like the fact that fresh information appears on the homepage. One
>   way to solve the large screen issues could be to make the "References"
>   column a bit wider and the "Blog" one thinner.
>   - I like the footer. Indeed, making it generic would be interesting.

The footer is supposed to be on all pages, not just the homepage.

Regarding the other mentions: colors, cubes, background - I think is a
matter of taste, I personally like them.
Thanks Guillaume,
Caty

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 15:15, Roman Muntyanu <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hello Caty,

Hi Roman,

>  First a use-case of my first perception of the the page:
>     1) quick glance at the items in the left
>     2) distracted by the cube animation
>     3) try to click the cube thinking it does something
>     4) analyze what info is in the blogposts section
>     5) quick glance at Community hearbeat and powered by
>     6) scroll the page down and learn that there's nothing important for
> me there
>     7) scroll back to the top and study the connections
>     8) try to hovering the mouse on the cubes and watch them animate
>     9) (a lot later) notice that when I hover the mouse, description
> changes
>     10) (accidentally) click one of the buttons of the carousel and
> surprised by the animation
>     12) I thought that those screens were different options for new xwiki
> home page so I tried comparing them. Finally I understood that those are
> different info screens.
>     13) Compared design of cubes on page 1 and 3 (3 seemed better)
>     14) tried clicking on the cube with "+" on page 3
>     15) realized that I have a feeling of inconsistency with the colors
>     16) never noticed "All projects" on the first page
>     17) got frustrated how the animation starts for the cube on the page
> 1. Then understood that it starts when mouse enters the slide area. Noticed
> that cubes shiver like going to explode when reduce in size.

I really liked the way you presented your interaction with the proposal :)

> [...]
>          http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=58237474
>
> http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-70819066/stock-vector-vector-illustration-of-d-hexagonal-symbols.html(you can put logo of the component inside)
>   * I like the concept of mapping Platform, Enterprise and Manager colors
> onto animated cube to show their places in the system. But I think that
> semi-transparent 2-d image on the back would better serve the purpose. The
> info could be displayed in the following way. E.g. Platform hexagon as the
> center, Enterprise, Manager, XEclipse, XOffice, More Projects hexagons
> around it, then a bit detached hexagon highlighting extensions (those that
> currently on the page 3 + "more" ). Then we can do the animation -
> highlight different groups of hexagons and display relevant info side to
> this "mind map". I can make a drawing later today if you're interested ...

Regarding the graphics: your suggestion were very interesting (with lots of
examples :) ) and yes, we can try alternatives to better suggest the
projects relation. I just did what it was on my mind. I really liked the
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=55704010
suggestion. Now that I learned to work with css animation and transitions
it will be more easily to experiment.

Anyway although there are lots of things that could be improved, I really
think this version is better than what we currently have.

Thank you Roman,
Caty

>  Regards,
> Roman

Jerome Velociter-4
Hi Caty,

Some remarks :

- We need a better title than "XWiki Projects and their relation"
- It wasn't obvious to me right away the upper part was a slider.
Maybe it should loop automatically on the slides once, at first (with
a 5 seconds delay or so) ?
- Could we drop the XEclipse and XOffice promises from the front page
? (probably for another thread)
- Like Guillaume I'm not such a big fan of the rubik's cube on the first slide

Jerome

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)

> I've been working for a new XWiki.org homepage. You can find it live at
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgCode/WebHome
>
> Static screenshots at:
> Slide1<http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S1.png>,
> Slide2<http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S2.png>,
> Slide3<http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S3.png>
>
> Any feedback regarding this work is welcomed.
>
> I'm asking for your vote to make this proposal the default homepage for
> XWiki.org.
> This is my +1.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty

Jérôme Velociter
Winesquare
http://www.winesquare.net/

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 17:57, Jerome Velociter <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Caty,
>
> Some remarks :
>
> - We need a better title than "XWiki Projects and their relation"

maybe just "XWiki Projects" ?

> - It wasn't obvious to me right away the upper part was a slider.
> Maybe it should loop automatically on the slides once, at first (with
> a 5 seconds delay or so) ?

the carousel loops - we can minimize the wait time

> - Could we drop the XEclipse and XOffice promises from the front page
> ? (probably for another thread)

this can be easily fixed when we will not support them, otherwise they are
still our top level projects.

> - Like Guillaume I'm not such a big fan of the rubik's cube on the first
> slide
>
> we can put slide2 as the first one. I worked the most on slide 1 :) so
it's normal if put it first. Also it has more color nad things going on
that the rest of the slides.

Thanks Jerome

> Jerome
>
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I've been working for a new XWiki.org homepage. You can find it live at
> > http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgCode/WebHome
> >
> > Static screenshots at:
> > Slide1<
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S1.png
> >,
> > Slide2<
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S2.png
> >,
> > Slide3<
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S3.png
> >

> > Any feedback regarding this work is welcomed.
> >
> > I'm asking for your vote to make this proposal the default homepage for
> > XWiki.org.
> > This is my +1.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty

> Jérôme Velociter
> Winesquare
> http://www.winesquare.net/

Re: [Vote] New XWiki.org Homepage

Denis Gervalle-2
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 17:13, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 17:57, Jerome Velociter <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi Caty,
> >
> > Some remarks :
> >
> > - We need a better title than "XWiki Projects and their relation"
> >

> maybe just "XWiki Projects" ?
>

> > - It wasn't obvious to me right away the upper part was a slider.
> > Maybe it should loop automatically on the slides once, at first (with
> > a 5 seconds delay or so) ?
> >

> the carousel loops - we can minimize the wait time

Under Chrome for Mac (latest), the carousel never loop automatically for me.
I have taken a very long time before noticing that it was a carousel and
that I can change the slide.

> > - Could we drop the XEclipse and XOffice promises from the front page
> > ? (probably for another thread)
> >

> this can be easily fixed when we will not support them, otherwise they are
> still our top level projects.
>

> > - Like Guillaume I'm not such a big fan of the rubik's cube on the first
> > slide
> >
> > we can put slide2 as the first one. I worked the most on slide 1 :) so
> it's normal if put it first. Also it has more color nad things going on
> that the rest of the slides.
>
> Thanks Jerome
>

> > Jerome
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi devs,
> > >
> > > I've been working for a new XWiki.org homepage. You can find it live at
> > > http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgCode/WebHome
> > >
> > > Static screenshots at:
> > > Slide1<
> >
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S1.png
> > >,
> > > Slide2<
> >
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S2.png
> > >,
> > > Slide3<
> >
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S3.png
> > >

> > > Any feedback regarding this work is welcomed.
> > >
> > > I'm asking for your vote to make this proposal the default homepage for
> > > XWiki.org.
> > > This is my +1.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Caty

> > Jérôme Velociter
> > Winesquare
> > http://www.winesquare.net/

Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO
eGuilde sarl - CTO

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 17:22, Denis Gervalle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 17:13, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 17:57, Jerome Velociter <[hidden email]
>> >wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Caty,
>> >
>> > Some remarks :
>> >
>> > - We need a better title than "XWiki Projects and their relation"
>> >

>> maybe just "XWiki Projects" ?
>>

>> > - It wasn't obvious to me right away the upper part was a slider.
>> > Maybe it should loop automatically on the slides once, at first (with
>> > a 5 seconds delay or so) ?
>> >

>> the carousel loops - we can minimize the wait time
>>

> Under Chrome for Mac (latest), the carousel never loop automatically for
> me.
> I have taken a very long time before noticing that it was a carousel and
> that I can change the slide.

Oh, it have change to the second slide... how long is the timer ? Seems
really long !

--
Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO

On 03/01/2012 12:31 PM, Guillaume Lerouge wrote:

> Hi Caty,
>
> I like it overall, with a number of caveats (from top to bottom looking at
> the interface):
>
>     - The orange color of the top banner is a bit too dark. Also, why not
>     use a gradient image like on the newer 3.5 color themes?
>     - The download button is not very visible anymore in the menu
>     - I don't like the "dotted" background of the carousel. Again, I find it
>     a bit too dark
>     - I'm not really convinced by the usage of cubes to represent the
>     relationship between various XWiki projects. On slide 1, it makes it look
>     like Manager is 10 times larger than the core, when in fact the opposite is
>     true. On slide 3, the list of cubes on the left isn't very readable either.

I sort of agree with this, indeed the quantity of cubes can be interpreted.

>     - When hovering the mouse over the menu / carousel I sometimes see some
>     diagonal stripes flickering over the screen (I'm trying to provide the
>     steps to reproduce)
>
> Now what I like:
>
>     - I like the second slide of the carousel :-)
>     - I like the fact that fresh information appears on the homepage. One
>     way to solve the large screen issues could be to make the "References"
>     column a bit wider and the "Blog" one thinner.
>     - I like the footer. Indeed, making it generic would be interesting.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Guillaume
>
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Fabio Mancinelli<
> [hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Very nice Caty!
>>
>> I have some remarks though...
>>
>> * Shouldn't there be a prominent and always visibile "Download XWiki"
>> button somewhere?
>>
>> * I've noticed that all the current blog posts are really just release
>> announcements... As Paul said, it's a bit monothematic. I am not sure
>> that such a big space should be dedicated to this kind information. If
>> it's just release announcements we might find a better way to use this
>> space.
>>
>> * I also agree with Paul and Sorin about the fact that's a bit
>> overcrowded and fonts are too small (which goes a bit against the
>> "mainstream" way for building sites, i.e., with big fonts, buttons and
>> minimal text). Keep in mind that I am on 1920x1080 as well.
>>
>> -Fabio
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> I've been working for a new XWiki.org homepage. You can find it live at
>>> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWikiOrgCode/WebHome
>>>
>>> Static screenshots at:
>>> Slide1<
>> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S1.png
>>> ,
>>> Slide2<
>> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S2.png
>>> ,
>>> Slide3<
>> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/XWikiOrgHomepage/WebHomeV3S3.png
>>>
>>> Any feedback regarding this work is welcomed.
>>>
>>> I'm asking for your vote to make this proposal the default homepage for
>>> XWiki.org.
>>> This is my +1.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Caty

On 03/01/2012 02:30 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you all for your comments.
>
> - Regarding font-size: The resolution problem is not just for this design
> but for all the pages that are on xwiki.org and even on any other page on
> the web. Using a big resolution mean that you will have small icons, small
> fonts, etc.

Not really. It's all about the relative sizes: when you have big
resolution, indeed, in actual size (if you put a ruler on the screen to
measure) they are small(er) but they still can be bigger or smaller than
other things that you see on your screen (e.g. other sites, the size of
the heading 1 on a "regular" xwiki page, etc). e.g. I have a small
resolution 1366x800 and they're still smaller than a regular xwiki page
for me.

We don't say here that we don't understand why fonts are small when we
have big resolution, or why is there a big central area when the screen
is wide, we're just wondering whether we could explore some
possibilities / tricks to make it less "ugly" or "bothering" when it
happens.

Thanks,
Anca

>>> Caty