[Vote][UX] Visible Save buttons

Just to make sure we are on the same page since there were some ambiguities
on the proposal, I've put some screenshot on how it will look like:
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/IdeaVisibleSave#HProposal10.x

This proposal extracts the save controls and puts them on a fixed bottom
bar.
There are some problems with the inline mode and with the responsive
versions. With the inline version we could decide to keep the current
behavior and have the fixed bar only in Wiki and WYSIWYG modes. I guess we
should do some implementation tests and see what's possible.

Re: [Vote][UX] Visible Save buttons

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
So preferable in inline mode, the bar should not be full width, but just
the size of the content. This needs to be prototyped to see if it's
possible to implement easily (without JS).
Ideal on tablet and mobile mode, the bar should contain just the vital
buttons (no minor edit, auto-save, etc.), otherwise the bar takes too much
screen space (sometimes more than 40% of screen size).

So for the problematic inline and responsive modes we would need to iterate
more until we find the ideal solution.

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 6:23 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> Just to make sure we are on the same page since there were some
> ambiguities on the proposal, I've put some screenshot on how it will look
> like:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/
> IdeaVisibleSave#HProposal10.x
>
> This proposal extracts the save controls and puts them on a fixed bottom
> bar.
> There are some problems with the inline mode and with the responsive
> versions. With the inline version we could decide to keep the current
> behavior and have the fixed bar only in Wiki and WYSIWYG modes. I guess we
> should do some implementation tests and see what's possible.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty

Re: [Vote][UX] Visible Save buttons

Hi Caty,

> On 29 May 2018, at 17:23, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> Just to make sure we are on the same page since there were some ambiguities
> on the proposal, I've put some screenshot on how it will look like:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/IdeaVisibleSave#HProposal10.x

Could you give some context to explain why we need a VOTE and what you’re asking to VOTE about?

AFAIK there’s no need to VOTE on having Visible Save button since:
* We already discussed and decided to implement visible save
* It was already put twice in the roadmap and is currently in the 10.5 roadmap (which is already started), and nobody complained

So if your email is about bringing some variations to what was decided, it’s fine but why does it need a VOTE? A simple proposal would have been enough IMO.

> This proposal extracts the save controls and puts them on a fixed bottom
> bar.

Does it mean that the vertical space for the editor is constrained and can never be larger than the viewport minus the vertical space for the save bar?

Also on the http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaVisibleSave/after10.png screenshot the bar takes the full width but on the followings screenshots the bar doesn’t. What is proposed precisely?

Could you explain what’s different between "Proposal for 9.x" and "Proposal for 10.x" on http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/IdeaVisibleSave#HProposal10.x

I’ve checked quickly and I don’t see any difference visually.

> There are some problems with the inline mode and with the responsive
> versions.
> With the inline version we could decide to keep the current
> behavior and have the fixed bar only in Wiki and WYSIWYG modes. I guess we
> should do some implementation tests and see what's possible.

What problems?

At this stage I can’t VOTE since I don’t know what’s the question and it seems to be missing some details (see my questions above).

PS: It’s sad that we are so late on the design of visible save since we’ve had months to plan this. It was already put in a roadmap at least 6 months ago and then not finished and then put again in the roadmap several months ago. We could have had plenty of time to discuss/tune this. Now this means we are at risk of not finishing this for 10.5. Let’s hope we can catch up.

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Caty,
>
> > On 29 May 2018, at 17:23, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > Just to make sure we are on the same page since there were some
> ambiguities
> > on the proposal, I've put some screenshot on how it will look like:
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/
> IdeaVisibleSave#HProposal10.x
>
> Could you give some context to explain why we need a VOTE and what you’re
> asking to VOTE about?

Ok, maybe vote is not good since I'm also asking for feedback in the mail.
The issue with this proposal is that it's a design proposal, not a full
implementation proposal. So depending on how the developer will implement
it we might need to iterate more, and at this stage of the proposal it's
hard to know how things will end up.

> AFAIK there’s no need to VOTE on having Visible Save button since:
> * We already discussed and decided to implement visible save
> * It was already put twice in the roadmap and is currently in the 10.5
> roadmap (which is already started), and nobody complained
>
> So if your email is about bringing some variations to what was decided,
> it’s fine but why does it need a VOTE? A simple proposal would have been
> enough IMO.
>
> > This proposal extracts the save controls and puts them on a fixed bottom
> > bar.
>
> Does it mean that the vertical space for the editor is constrained and can
> never be larger than the viewport minus the vertical space for the save bar?
>
> Also on the http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/
> IdeaVisibleSave/after10.png screenshot the bar takes the full width but
> on the followings screenshots the bar doesn’t. What is proposed precisely?
>
> Could you explain what’s different between "Proposal for 9.x" and
> "Proposal for 10.x" on http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/
> IdeaVisibleSave#HProposal10.x

I've made a separate heading because there are some visual difference
(because of the ColorTheme change).
Proposal 10.x is made with more screenshots so that is clear how it should
look in the end. Trying to be very clear and have less ambiguities.

For the inline mode I've put 2 variations, 1 full width and the other as
current. Again, this depends if we want to add JS to the solution, if we
can find a CSS only solution, etc. Depends on the implementation.

> I’ve checked quickly and I don’t see any difference visually.
>
> > There are some problems with the inline mode and with the responsive
> > versions.
> > With the inline version we could decide to keep the current
> > behavior and have the fixed bar only in Wiki and WYSIWYG modes. I guess
> we
> > should do some implementation tests and see what's possible.
>
> What problems?
>
> At this stage I can’t VOTE since I don’t know what’s the question and it
> seems to be missing some details (see my questions above).

> PS: It’s sad that we are so late on the design of visible save since we’ve
> had months to plan this. It was already put in a roadmap at least 6 months
> ago and then not finished and then put again in the roadmap several months
> ago. We could have had plenty of time to discuss/tune this. Now this means
> we are at risk of not finishing this for 10.5. Let’s hope we can catch up.
>

> > Thanks,
> > Caty

Re: [Vote][UX] Visible Save buttons

Adel Atallah
On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 5:41 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> So preferable in inline mode, the bar should not be full width, but just
> the size of the content.

+1, I think it's weird to have a full width bar both on the
WYSIWYG/XWiki editor and inline editor.

> This needs to be prototyped to see if it's
> possible to implement easily (without JS).
> Ideal on tablet and mobile mode, the bar should contain just the vital
> buttons (no minor edit, auto-save, etc.), otherwise the bar takes too much
> screen space (sometimes more than 40% of screen size).

We could maybe have a dropdown showing the buttons?

> So for the problematic inline and responsive modes we would need to iterate
> more until we find the ideal solution.

Thanks,
Adel

> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 6:23 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> Just to make sure we are on the same page since there were some
>> ambiguities on the proposal, I've put some screenshot on how it will look
>> like:
>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/
>> IdeaVisibleSave#HProposal10.x
>>
>> This proposal extracts the save controls and puts them on a fixed bottom
>> bar.
>> There are some problems with the inline mode and with the responsive
>> versions. With the inline version we could decide to keep the current
>> behavior and have the fixed bar only in Wiki and WYSIWYG modes. I guess we
>> should do some implementation tests and see what's possible.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Caty

Re: [Vote][UX] Visible Save buttons

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Caty,
>
> > On 29 May 2018, at 17:23, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > Just to make sure we are on the same page since there were some
> ambiguities
> > on the proposal, I've put some screenshot on how it will look like:
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/
> IdeaVisibleSave#HProposal10.x
>
> Could you give some context to explain why we need a VOTE and what you’re
> asking to VOTE about?
>
> AFAIK there’s no need to VOTE on having Visible Save button since:
> * We already discussed and decided to implement visible save
> * It was already put twice in the roadmap and is currently in the 10.5
> roadmap (which is already started), and nobody complained
>
> So if your email is about bringing some variations to what was decided,
> it’s fine but why does it need a VOTE? A simple proposal would have been
> enough IMO.
>
> > This proposal extracts the save controls and puts them on a fixed bottom
> > bar.
>
> Does it mean that the vertical space for the editor is constrained and can
> never be larger than the viewport minus the vertical space for the save bar?
>
> Also on the http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/
> IdeaVisibleSave/after10.png screenshot the bar takes the full width but
> on the followings screenshots the bar doesn’t. What is proposed precisely?

So if the window has space, the buttons should be placed normally (
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaVisibleSave/after10Full.png).
The save buttons are placed in a fixed bottom bar, only if they get out of
the view port (
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaVisibleSave/after10.png).

Inline mode is more problematic because it has panels (looks a bit strange
to be full width, see
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaVisibleSave/after10Inline2.png
). Ideally the buttons should be kept in the container they refer to, so in
xwiki content. I made screenshots with how it would look on both modes, but
depends on what we can actually implement. Don't have an ideal answer for
inline mode.

> Could you explain what’s different between "Proposal for 9.x" and
> "Proposal for 10.x" on http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/
> IdeaVisibleSave#HProposal10.x
>
> I’ve checked quickly and I don’t see any difference visually.
>
> > There are some problems with the inline mode and with the responsive
> > versions.
> > With the inline version we could decide to keep the current
> > behavior and have the fixed bar only in Wiki and WYSIWYG modes. I guess
> we
> > should do some implementation tests and see what's possible.
>
> What problems?
>
> At this stage I can’t VOTE since I don’t know what’s the question and it
> seems to be missing some details (see my questions above).

> PS: It’s sad that we are so late on the design of visible save since we’ve
> had months to plan this. It was already put in a roadmap at least 6 months
> ago and then not finished and then put again in the roadmap several months
> ago. We could have had plenty of time to discuss/tune this. Now this means
> we are at risk of not finishing this for 10.5. Let’s hope we can catch up.
>

> > Thanks,
> > Caty

Re: [Vote][UX] Visible Save buttons

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 6:59 PM, Adel Atallah <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 5:41 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > So preferable in inline mode, the bar should not be full width, but just
> > the size of the content.
>
> +1, I think it's weird to have a full width bar both on the
> WYSIWYG/XWiki editor and inline editor.
>
> > This needs to be prototyped to see if it's
> > possible to implement easily (without JS).
> > Ideal on tablet and mobile mode, the bar should contain just the vital
> > buttons (no minor edit, auto-save, etc.), otherwise the bar takes too
> much
> > screen space (sometimes more than 40% of screen size).
>
> We could maybe have a dropdown showing the buttons?

We could:
- [custom] opt to make special controls for tablet / mobile modes,
dropdowns with the rest of the options, modal to ask for version summary;
- [limitation] limit the options available in mobile mode, like keep the
summary, but don't have auto-save;
- [removal] or just don't display the save/summary features, and just keep
the buttons.

Usually we don't provide custom implementations for the mobile version, we
usually hide/remove in order to make it simpler, but depends on the
functionality.

> [...]

>> it’s fine but why does it need a VOTE? A simple proposal would have been
>> enough IMO.
>>
>>> This proposal extracts the save controls and puts them on a fixed bottom
>>> bar.
>>
>> Does it mean that the vertical space for the editor is constrained and can
>> never be larger than the viewport minus the vertical space for the save bar?
>>
>> Also on the http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/
>> IdeaVisibleSave/after10.png screenshot the bar takes the full width but
>> on the followings screenshots the bar doesn’t. What is proposed precisely?
>>

> So if the window has space, the buttons should be placed normally (
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaVisibleSave/after10Full.png).
> The save buttons are placed in a fixed bottom bar, only if they get out of

I still don’t understand this. The only difference I see between mode images is the width of the save bar.

My preference goes to not full width for the save bar, i.e. width of the editor only.

> Inline mode is more problematic because it has panels (looks a bit strange
> to be full width, see
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaVisibleSave/after10Inline2.png
> ). Ideally the buttons should be kept in the container they refer to, so in
> xwiki content.

Yes I agree. Why is this a problem? Why not have the same width for the visible bar than the container?

Why is http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaVisibleSave/after10Inline.png a problem?

>>> Caty

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 7:07 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 29 May 2018, at 18:00, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Caty,

> >> ambiguities
> >> IdeaVisibleSave#HProposal10.x
> >>
> >> Could you give some context to explain why we need a VOTE and what
> you’re
> >> asking to VOTE about?
> >>
> >> AFAIK there’s no need to VOTE on having Visible Save button since:
> >> * We already discussed and decided to implement visible save
> >> * It was already put twice in the roadmap and is currently in the 10.5
> >> roadmap (which is already started), and nobody complained
> >>
> >> So if your email is about bringing some variations to what was decided,
> >> it’s fine but why does it need a VOTE? A simple proposal would have been
> >> enough IMO.

> bottom
> >>
> >> Does it mean that the vertical space for the editor is constrained and
> can
> >> never be larger than the viewport minus the vertical space for the save
> bar?
> >>
> >> Also on the http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/
> >> IdeaVisibleSave/after10.png screenshot the bar takes the full width but
> >> on the followings screenshots the bar doesn’t. What is proposed
> precisely?
> >>

> > So if the window has space, the buttons should be placed normally (
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/
> IdeaVisibleSave/after10Full.png).
> > The save buttons are placed in a fixed bottom bar, only if they get out
> of
> > the view port (
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/
> IdeaVisibleSave/after10.png).
>
> I still don’t understand this. The only difference I see between mode
> images is the width of the save bar.
>
> My preference goes to not full width for the save bar, i.e. width of the
> editor only.
>
> > Inline mode is more problematic because it has panels (looks a bit
> strange
> > to be full width, see
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaVisibleSave/
> after10Inline2.png
> > ). Ideally the buttons should be kept in the container they refer to, so
> in
> > xwiki content.
>
> Yes I agree. Why is this a problem? Why not have the same width for the
> visible bar than the container?
>
> > I made screenshots with how it would look on both modes, but
> > depends on what we can actually implement. Don't have an ideal answer for
> > inline mode.
>
> Why is http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/
> IdeaVisibleSave/after10Inline.png a problem?

Maybe it's not a problem. We will see how we can implement it. Hope we
won't use JS to calculate the width.

> [...]

>>> Inline mode is more problematic because it has panels (looks a bit
>> strange
>>> to be full width, see
>>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaVisibleSave/
>> after10Inline2.png
>>> ). Ideally the buttons should be kept in the container they refer to, so
>> in
>>> xwiki content.
>>
>> Yes I agree. Why is this a problem? Why not have the same width for the
>> visible bar than the container?
>>
>>> I made screenshots with how it would look on both modes, but
>>> depends on what we can actually implement. Don't have an ideal answer for
>>> inline mode.
>>
>> Why is http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/
>> IdeaVisibleSave/after10Inline.png a problem?
>>

> Maybe it's not a problem. We will see how we can implement it. Hope we

Ah you mean a problem to implement it, not a problem from a design POV.

How is it different than the wiki or wysiwyg editor width for example?

It can also take the full width - padding for the middle column (DIV).

I really don’t see why we would need JS for that! :) (but I’m not an expert for sure)