[Vote] Use scpexe instead of scp for maven deployments

[Vote] Use scpexe instead of scp for maven deployments

Florin Ciubotaru
Hi,

We're now setting up the windows build agent for hudson.
In order to make deployments from windows machines we need to switch the
protocol from scp to scpexe.
The local machines needs to declare the ssh and scp tools configuration
in maven's settings.xml. Windows tools like putty and pscp are not
properly configured when the protocol is set to scp.

The deployment protocol is specified in our parrent pom. Eg:

  <distributionManagement>
     <site>
       <id>maven.xwiki.org</id>
       <url>scp://maven.xwiki.org/home/maven/public_html/site</url>
     </site>
     <repository>
       <id>maven.xwiki.org</id>
       <name>XWiki Maven2 Remote Repository for Releases</name>
       <url>scp://maven.xwiki.org/home/maven/public_html/releases</url>
     </repository>
     <snapshotRepository>
       <id>maven.xwiki.org</id>
       <name>XWiki Maven2 Development Repository for Snapshots</name>
       <url>scp://maven.xwiki.org/home/maven/public_html/snapshots</url>
     </snapshotRepository>
   </distributionManagement>

WDYT about changing this?

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru

Re: [Vote] Use scpexe instead of scp for maven deployments

On Mar 19, 2010, at 6:58 PM, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're now setting up the windows build agent for hudson.
> In order to make deployments from windows machines we need to switch the
> protocol from scp to scpexe.

Do you know why ?

> The local machines needs to declare the ssh and scp tools configuration
> in maven's settings.xml. Windows tools like putty and pscp are not
> properly configured when the protocol is set to scp.
>
> The deployment protocol is specified in our parrent pom. Eg:
>
>  <distributionManagement>
>     <site>
>       <id>maven.xwiki.org</id>
>       <url>scp://maven.xwiki.org/home/maven/public_html/site</url>
>     </site>
>     <repository>
>       <id>maven.xwiki.org</id>
>       <name>XWiki Maven2 Remote Repository for Releases</name>
>       <url>scp://maven.xwiki.org/home/maven/public_html/releases</url>
>     </repository>
>     <snapshotRepository>
>       <id>maven.xwiki.org</id>
>       <name>XWiki Maven2 Development Repository for Snapshots</name>
>       <url>scp://maven.xwiki.org/home/maven/public_html/snapshots</url>
>     </snapshotRepository>
>   </distributionManagement>
>
> WDYT about changing this?
>
> Thanks,
> Florin Ciubotaru

Re: [Vote] Use scpexe instead of scp for maven deployments

Florin Ciubotaru-2
Hi Vincent,

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2010, at 6:58 PM, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > We're now setting up the windows build agent for hudson.
> > In order to make deployments from windows machines we need to switch the
> > protocol from scp to scpexe.
>
> Do you know why ?

It is because wagon doesn't properly apply the config from settings.xml when
the protocol is set to scp. Maven's scp is a pure java implementation while
scpexe can use extenal binaries.
The scp implementation in java works fine on linux machines and loads the
config from ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, such a config does not exist on windows.
This means that on windows we need to rely on tools like putty and pscp to
handle the uploads.

Note that maven's documentation regarding this is quite poor, thus I can't
provide any useful web references.

Florin Ciubotaru

On Mar 20, 2010, at 3:32 AM, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:

> Hi Vincent,
>
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 19, 2010, at 6:58 PM, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We're now setting up the windows build agent for hudson.
>>> In order to make deployments from windows machines we need to switch the
>>> protocol from scp to scpexe.
>>
>> Do you know why ?
>>
> It is because wagon doesn't properly apply the config from settings.xml when
> the protocol is set to scp. Maven's scp is a pure java implementation while
> scpexe can use extenal binaries.
> The scp implementation in java works fine on linux machines and loads the
> config from ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, such a config does not exist on windows.
> This means that on windows we need to rely on tools like putty and pscp to
> handle the uploads.
>
> Note that maven's documentation regarding this is quite poor, thus I can't
> provide any useful web references.

I'd need to search but I'm pretty sure you can make it work on windows machine and you don't need to change to scpexe which should be avoided as much as possible (same svnexe). Using a pure java impl is always better since it reduces the dependency on the environment and make it work everywhere.

Could you tell us what error you get ?

Also have you configured properly the config in settings.xml, something like the following in the server section:

      <configuration>
        <scpExecutable>pscp</scpExecutable>
        <scpArgs>-v</scpArgs>
      </configuration>

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2010, at 3:32 AM, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:
>
> > Hi Vincent,
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> the
> >>
> >> Do you know why ?
> >>
> > It is because wagon doesn't properly apply the config from settings.xml
> when
> > the protocol is set to scp. Maven's scp is a pure java implementation
> while
> > scpexe can use extenal binaries.
> > The scp implementation in java works fine on linux machines and loads the
> > config from ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, such a config does not exist on
> windows.
> > This means that on windows we need to rely on tools like putty and pscp
> > handle the uploads.
> >
> > Note that maven's documentation regarding this is quite poor, thus I
> can't
> > provide any useful web references.
>
> I'd need to search but I'm pretty sure you can make it work on windows
> machine and you don't need to change to scpexe which should be avoided as
> much as possible (same svnexe). Using a pure java impl is always better
> since it reduces the dependency on the environment and make it work
> everywhere.

Scpexe also uses the java implementation if a ssh/scp tool is not explicitly
configured in settings.xml.

> Could you tell us what error you get ?

Here's the build/deploy error message:

 [INFO] Error retrieving previous build number for artifact
'org.xwiki.platform.applications:xwiki-application-tag:xar': repository
metadata for: 'snapshot org.x
wiki.platform.applications:xwiki-application-tag:1.12-SNAPSHOT' could not be
retrieved from repository: maven.xwiki.org due to an error: While
configuring wagon
 for 'maven.xwiki.org': Unable to apply wagon configuration.
Cannot find setter nor field in
org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.ssh.jsch.ScpWagon for 'scpExecutable'

This only happens if the parent pom uses scp. The issue is fixed locally
after modifying the pom to scpexe & installing it to the local repository.
IMO this looks like a Wagon limitation. We're using version 1.0-alpha-5, I'm
not sure if this was modified in more recent releases:
-
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/WAGON#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Achangelog-panel

> Also have you configured properly the config in settings.xml, something
> like the following in the server section:
>
>      <configuration>
>        <scpExecutable>pscp</scpExecutable>
>        <scpArgs>-v</scpArgs>
>      </configuration>

As seen in the error message above, this is one of the configs I was trying.
Another option would be to use cygwin instead of putty apps as it doesn't
need the settings.xml configuration, but I think that configuring it would
end up being more system dependent then the current approach.

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru

> > Florin Ciubotaru
> >

> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

Re: [Vote] Use scpexe instead of scp for maven deployments

Florin Ciubotaru
Hi,

Can someone please vote on this so I know how to proceed with the hudson
setup.

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru

On 3/20/2010 2:00 PM, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:

> [...]
> -
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/WAGON#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Achangelog-panel
>

>> Also have you configured properly the config in settings.xml, something
>> like the following in the server section:
>>
>>       <configuration>
>>         <scpExecutable>pscp</scpExecutable>
>>         <scpArgs>-v</scpArgs>
>>       </configuration>
>>

> As seen in the error message above, this is one of the configs I was trying.
> Another option would be to use cygwin instead of putty apps as it doesn't
> need the settings.xml configuration, but I think that configuring it would
> end up being more system dependent then the current approach.
>
> Thanks,
> Florin Ciubotaru

>>> Florin Ciubotaru

Re: [Vote] Use scpexe instead of scp for maven deployments

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
On 03/22/2010 01:52 PM, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone please vote on this so I know how to proceed with the hudson
> setup.

I'd rather keep the current protocol, but find out how to properly
configure it on Windows.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 14:44, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 03/22/2010 01:52 PM, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can someone please vote on this so I know how to proceed with the hudson
>> setup.
>
> I'd rather keep the current protocol, but find out how to properly
> configure it on Windows.

Same for me.

On 3/22/2010 4:12 PM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 14:44, Sergiu Dumitriu<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> On 03/22/2010 01:52 PM, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can someone please vote on this so I know how to proceed with the hudson
>>> setup.
>>>
>> I'd rather keep the current protocol, but find out how to properly
>> configure it on Windows.
>>
> Same for me.

Thanks for being proactive.

I understand that you want to be on the safe side relying on java code,
but you guys don't show any support or flexibility when it comes to
Windows infrastructure.
We're currently stuck with this, since the web documentation is poor and
the wagon mailing list is dormant.

XOffice builds are ok. The only issue is the deployment of XWiki builds
to our maven repository.
If this isn't fixed then another option would be to create separate
hudson jobs that don't include deployment.

Florin Ciubotaru

>>> Thanks,
>>> Florin Ciubotaru

>> --
>> Sergiu Dumitriu
>> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [Vote] Use scpexe instead of scp for maven deployments

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 14:36, Florin Ciubotaru
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/22/2010 4:12 PM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

>>> I'd rather keep the current protocol, but find out how to properly
>>> configure it on Windows.
>>>
>> Same for me.
>>
> Thanks for being proactive.
>
> I understand that you want to be on the safe side relying on java code,
> but you guys don't show any support or flexibility when it comes to
> Windows infrastructure.
> We're currently stuck with this, since the web documentation is poor and
> the wagon mailing list is dormant.
>
> XOffice builds are ok. The only issue is the deployment of XWiki builds
> to our maven repository.
> If this isn't fixed then another option would be to create separate
> hudson jobs that don't include deployment.

What i don't understand is that i did my first XEM releases on Windows
(XP) so it used to work well. Maybe a bug has been introduced in more
recent wagon plugins that we could workaround by changing the version.

On 3/23/2010 4:18 PM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 14:36, Florin Ciubotaru
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> Same for me.
>>>

>> Thanks for being proactive.
>>
>> I understand that you want to be on the safe side relying on java code,
>> but you guys don't show any support or flexibility when it comes to
>> Windows infrastructure.
>> We're currently stuck with this, since the web documentation is poor and
>> the wagon mailing list is dormant.
>>
>> XOffice builds are ok. The only issue is the deployment of XWiki builds
>> to our maven repository.
>> If this isn't fixed then another option would be to create separate
>> hudson jobs that don't include deployment.
>>
> What i don't understand is that i did my first XEM releases on Windows
> (XP) so it used to work well. Maybe a bug has been introduced in more
> recent wagon plugins that we could workaround by changing the version.

I doubt we changed the version since then. Were you asked for the login
password or private key passphrase?
My issues is that it can't autologin to the server even with the private
key path and passphrase specified in settings.xml.

>> Florin Ciubotaru

Re: [Vote] Use scpexe instead of scp for maven deployments

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 15:37, Florin Ciubotaru

> On 3/23/2010 4:18 PM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 14:36, Florin Ciubotaru
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> Thanks for being proactive.
>>>
>>> I understand that you want to be on the safe side relying on java code,
>>> but you guys don't show any support or flexibility when it comes to
>>> Windows infrastructure.
>>> We're currently stuck with this, since the web documentation is poor and
>>> the wagon mailing list is dormant.
>>>
>>> XOffice builds are ok. The only issue is the deployment of XWiki builds
>>> to our maven repository.
>>> If this isn't fixed then another option would be to create separate
>>> hudson jobs that don't include deployment.
>>>
>> What i don't understand is that i did my first XEM releases on Windows
>> (XP) so it used to work well. Maybe a bug has been introduced in more
>> recent wagon plugins that we could workaround by changing the version.
>>
> I doubt we changed the version since then. Were you asked for the login

I'm sure we changed the version since then: it was in 2007 so the
release plugin and even maven itself versions changed a lot since then
and so did the wagon plugin version.

> password or private key passphrase?

AFAIR we always used key based authentication for deploy on maven.xwiki.org.

> My issues is that it can't autologin to the server even with the private
> key path and passphrase specified in settings.xml.

Did you trying a private key without passphrase (i did not set any
passphrase for the private key) ? Maybe that's the difference.

>>> Florin Ciubotaru

Re: [Vote] Use scpexe instead of scp for maven deployments

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 15:58, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 15:37, Florin Ciubotaru
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 3/23/2010 4:18 PM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

>>> What i don't understand is that i did my first XEM releases on Windows
>>> (XP) so it used to work well. Maybe a bug has been introduced in more
>>> recent wagon plugins that we could workaround by changing the version.
>>>
>> I doubt we changed the version since then. Were you asked for the login
>
> I'm sure we changed the version since then: it was in 2007 so the
> release plugin and even maven itself versions changed a lot since then
> and so did the wagon plugin version.
>
>> password or private key passphrase?
>
> AFAIR we always used key based authentication for deploy on maven.xwiki.org.
>
>> My issues is that it can't autologin to the server even with the private
>> key path and passphrase specified in settings.xml.
>
> Did you trying a private key without passphrase (i did not set any
> passphrase for the private key) ? Maybe that's the difference.

Actually i'm pretty sure that's the issue.

On 3/23/2010 5:02 PM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

>>> I doubt we changed the version since then. Were you asked for the login
>>>
>> I'm sure we changed the version since then: it was in 2007 so the
>> release plugin and even maven itself versions changed a lot since then
>> and so did the wagon plugin version.
>>

>>> password or private key passphrase?
>>>
>> AFAIR we always used key based authentication for deploy on maven.xwiki.org.
>>

>>> My issues is that it can't autologin to the server even with the private
>>> key path and passphrase specified in settings.xml.
>>>
>> Did you trying a private key without passphrase (i did not set any
>> passphrase for the private key) ? Maybe that's the difference.
>>
> Actually i'm pretty sure that's the issue.

Just talked with JV about this. Using a key without a passphrase fixed
the issue. We have Windows builds now :)

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru