What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

12

What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

Dear XWiki users,

We’re getting close to the end of the XWiki 6.x cycle (6.4 is planned for the end of December) and in January we’ll start developing the XWiki 7.x cycle (which will last the whole 2015 year), starting with XWiki 7.0.

Thus it’s time for the XWiki devs to start defining the global roadmap for XWiki 7.x.

As XWiki users, I’d like to know if you have some needs for XWiki 7.x. What would you be interested in seeing in XWiki 7.x?

I’d like to start some proposal on the xwiki devs list (for the XWiki 7.x cycle) around end of December so it would be nice if you could shoot your suggestion ideas fast so that we can take them into account in the discussion! :)

Thanks a lot for your help and I hope you’re enjoying using XWiki!

-Vincent Massol
XWiki Committer

Re: What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

Daniel Lundh
Hello.

New XWiki user here.

First, a big thanks, we are enjoying XWiki. :)

We have a fairly common use case, using the wiki for documenting servers
and systems, trying to build an SKMS ala ITIL.

What i'd like to see is better formatting of text being cut & pasted from
(mainly) Word.
The single biggest issue I have heard complaints about is formatting.
We are moving away from a Lotus Domino environment and here too the
formatting is mangled (this may have everything to do with Domino and
nothing with XWiki however) when doing copy/paste.

I'd like tables to work like they do in Excel. When I press the tab key I
want to move to the next field.
I want to be able to size the table with my mouse in real-time.
I want the columns to be plainly visible, not just the rows.

I want numbered lists to be a core feature.

Making text different colors and/or fonts should work like in a regular
word processor, with a menu item in the WYSIWYG editor.

That's from the top of my head, anyway.

Have a great weekend.

Regards,
Daniel

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 1:17 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear XWiki users,
>
> We’re getting close to the end of the XWiki 6.x cycle (6.4 is planned for
> the end of December) and in January we’ll start developing the XWiki 7.x
> cycle (which will last the whole 2015 year), starting with XWiki 7.0.
>
> Thus it’s time for the XWiki devs to start defining the global roadmap for
> XWiki 7.x.
>
> As XWiki users, I’d like to know if you have some needs for XWiki 7.x.
> What would you be interested in seeing in XWiki 7.x?
>
> I’d like to start some proposal on the xwiki devs list (for the XWiki 7.x
> cycle) around end of December so it would be nice if you could shoot your
> suggestion ideas fast so that we can take them into account in the
> discussion! :)
>
> Thanks a lot for your help and I hope you’re enjoying using XWiki!
>
> -Vincent Massol
> XWiki Committer

Regards/Mvh
Daniel Lundh

Re: What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

PascalB
Hello,

You invited us Vincent, then here my proposals.

+10 to thanks Xwiki task force team (especially to support my harassment)

WYSIWYG based on FckEditor better to work on tables IMO
+1: "I want the columns to be plainly visible, not just the rows" especially when we edit a table

Add tab "Source" on WYSIWYG editor in Blog and FAQ

Add anchor lists on the page (a macros?) to add an link to an anchor #HAnchorTitle) and update anchor link when anchor target is renamed (difficult) & detect link with anchor when a page is renamed.
Use pure CSS for xwiki menu (without JS)

Last but not least: forbidden Vincent to awake devs at 2 hours in the morning on IRC xwiki chanel to chatting about an obscure xwiki code... ;-)

Thxs for all.
Pascal BASTIEN

      De : Daniel Lundh <[hidden email]>
 À : XWiki Users <[hidden email]>
 Envoyé le : Vendredi 5 décembre 2014 13h34
 Objet : Re: [xwiki-users] What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

wrote:

> Dear XWiki users,
>
> We’re getting close to the end of the XWiki 6.x cycle (6.4 is planned for
> the end of December) and in January we’ll start developing the XWiki 7.x
> cycle (which will last the whole 2015 year), starting with XWiki 7.0.
>
> Thus it’s time for the XWiki devs to start defining the global roadmap for
> XWiki 7.x.
>
> As XWiki users, I’d like to know if you have some needs for XWiki 7.x.
> What would you be interested in seeing in XWiki 7.x?
>
> I’d like to start some proposal on the xwiki devs list (for the XWiki 7.x
> cycle) around end of December so it would be nice if you could shoot your
> suggestion ideas fast so that we can take them into account in the
> discussion! :)
>
> Thanks a lot for your help and I hope you’re enjoying using XWiki!
>
> -Vincent Massol
> XWiki Committer

Regards/Mvh
Daniel Lundh

Re: What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

jerem
Hello,

First I like previous feedbacks (on wysiwig, tables, etc).

Then some random "ideas" of things I'd love to see in xwiki:
- flavors ! ;-)
- EDM ! I agree some extensions already go in this way, and it's better to
have this as extension(s) and not in core, but maybe a default EDM oriented
flavor could be very interesting for enterprises
- more "inline" editing of some very standard pieces of the UI (editing a
panel, editing the custom menu from Menu extension, customizing xwiki top
menu, customizing page menu/actions, etc). Like an online editor of all
content except page content ? Would be so nice to have a little pencil icon
appear on hovering of a panel title ... :-)
- better wysiwyg edition of some specific macros (include, etc), I suppose
you see what I refer to
- more easy customization of pdf export (possibility to choose a template
at time of export and not only through url param, from a list, have some
app to customize header/footer without having to customize skin prefs,
manage a catalog of templates, etc)
- have a way to assign a "label" to a set of pages revisions (ie, similar
to a tag in mercurial, but on wiki pages). Then I could, for example,
export a xar, but based on a specific "label". Or export a multi-page pdf,
based on a label. (pretty useful, or even essential, for EDM flavor)

More in terms of "extensions", so I'm not sure it fits here, but :
- an extension to manage trainings (catalog, members, schedule)
- managing distribution-lists (Exchange) - note that I might contribute
something for this, if I can ...
- roundtrip with DITA (import/wysiwyg-annotations-comments/export) (DITA is
Darwin Information Typing Architecture)

- move back to java 6 ! (no, that's a joke, sorry :D )

Note: these are my own "needs" (say, wishes) as wiki admin, I'll try to ask
some users to get their feedbacks,

Br,
Jeremie

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Daniel Lundh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> New XWiki user here.
>
> First, a big thanks, we are enjoying XWiki. :)
>
> We have a fairly common use case, using the wiki for documenting servers
> and systems, trying to build an SKMS ala ITIL.
>
> What i'd like to see is better formatting of text being cut & pasted from
> (mainly) Word.
> The single biggest issue I have heard complaints about is formatting.
> We are moving away from a Lotus Domino environment and here too the
> formatting is mangled (this may have everything to do with Domino and
> nothing with XWiki however) when doing copy/paste.
>
> I'd like tables to work like they do in Excel. When I press the tab key I
> want to move to the next field.
> I want to be able to size the table with my mouse in real-time.
> I want the columns to be plainly visible, not just the rows.
>
> I want numbered lists to be a core feature.
>

> Making text different colors and/or fonts should work like in a regular
> word processor, with a menu item in the WYSIWYG editor.

This is already possible.
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/WysiwygEditor#HQuickReference
. You need to enable it from the WYSIWYG editor section in the wiki
administration. It's not very straightforward but this
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/WysiwygEditor#HPluginsandFeatures
can help.

The rest is very good feedback.

> That's from the top of my head, anyway.
>
> Have a great weekend.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel
>

> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 1:17 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear XWiki users,
>>
>> We’re getting close to the end of the XWiki 6.x cycle (6.4 is planned for
>> the end of December) and in January we’ll start developing the XWiki 7.x
>> cycle (which will last the whole 2015 year), starting with XWiki 7.0.
>>
>> Thus it’s time for the XWiki devs to start defining the global roadmap for
>> XWiki 7.x.
>>
>> As XWiki users, I’d like to know if you have some needs for XWiki 7.x.
>> What would you be interested in seeing in XWiki 7.x?
>>
>> I’d like to start some proposal on the xwiki devs list (for the XWiki 7.x
>> cycle) around end of December so it would be nice if you could shoot your
>> suggestion ideas fast so that we can take them into account in the
>> discussion! :)
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your help and I hope you’re enjoying using XWiki!
>>
>> -Vincent Massol
>> XWiki Committer

> Regards/Mvh
> Daniel Lundh

Re: What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

jerem
Hi,

I'd add some stuff, based on feedbacks from my (advanced) users:

- they usually consider that readability of titles and sub-titles
(headings) inside wiki pages is not very good, difficult to differentiate
them
- when they create new pages (by putting [[new page>>newpage]]), once new
page created, they find difficult to add links to this same new page from
other pages (have to remember the name). It seems they didn't know about
the corresponding feature in wysiwyg editor ...
- a smarter TOC macro, that would optionally include in TOC, content from
child pages (child meaning here, linked from current page). The macro would
in this case, update headings levels of included (linked) pages, so their
min level correspond to current TOC level + 1 (not sure I'm clear ... but
let's say that it would generate a coherent TOC, without having to renumber
child pages headings)

Not very new: some people have difficulties really understanding concepts
of Space, page, how to name them, what happens when they enter a new page
name, etc ... I added "Space Hierarchy" panel, but they seem even more
confused :)

(feedbacks based on 5.x)

BR,
Jeremie

[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Thus it’s time for the XWiki devs to start defining the global roadmap
> for
> >> XWiki 7.x.
> >>
> >> As XWiki users, I’d like to know if you have some needs for XWiki 7.x.
> >> What would you be interested in seeing in XWiki 7.x?
> >>
> >> I’d like to start some proposal on the xwiki devs list (for the XWiki
> 7.x
> >> cycle) around end of December so it would be nice if you could shoot
> your
> >> suggestion ideas fast so that we can take them into account in the
> >> discussion! :)
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot for your help and I hope you’re enjoying using XWiki!
> >>
> >> -Vincent Massol
> >> XWiki Committer

> > Regards/Mvh
> > Daniel Lundh

Re: What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

Danilo Oliveira
Hello,

Well, there are two main feedbacks usability that I have received about
XWiki:

   - Difficult to insert images on the page ( The copy and paste of does
   not work). Some user preferred to write the page on Word and after that
   import the page in XWiki.
   - +1 - Better tables!  Its hard to structure information on tables
   inside XWiki pages.

+1
+10 to thanks Xwiki task force team

DAnilo

> [...]
> > > We are moving away from a Lotus Domino environment and here too the
> > > formatting is mangled (this may have everything to do with Domino and
> > > nothing with XWiki however) when doing copy/paste.
> > >
> > > I'd like tables to work like they do in Excel. When I press the tab
> key I
> > > want to move to the next field.
> > > I want to be able to size the table with my mouse in real-time.
> > > I want the columns to be plainly visible, not just the rows.
> > >
> > > I want numbered lists to be a core feature.
> > >

> > > Making text different colors and/or fonts should work like in a regular
> > > word processor, with a menu item in the WYSIWYG editor.
> >
> > This is already possible.
> >

> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/WysiwygEditor#HQuickReference
> > . You need to enable it from the WYSIWYG editor section in the wiki
> > administration. It's not very straightforward but this

Danilo Amaral de Oliveira
Engenheiro de Computação
celular (11) 95282-3504

Re: What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

Hamster
This post was updated on .
What I would like to see in XWiki 7.x:

- A standard way of navigating the Wiki (I know there a several Extensions available, but this needs to be a basic feature of XWiki). This is my no. 1 complaint ;-).
- Better layout/formatting, with numbered headers. This is the no. 1 complaint from our users. They are used to the way MS Word is able to format their documents. Numbered lists with blank lines for example.
- A standard "Table of Contents", which displays the headers on a (large)page. This TOC should be "dockable"/"collapsable", iow always available to the users.
- Automatic Update/Upgrade to latest XWiki version.

Re: What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

Hamster
jerem wrote
- they usually consider that readability of titles and sub-titles
(headings) inside wiki pages is not very good, difficult to differentiate
them
Why don't you use a "Style Sheet Extension" and completely define how each Header should look like?

http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Skins
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/SkinExtensionsTutorial

Re: What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

Hamster
PascalB wrote
FckEditor? Or do you mean CKEditor?

Re: What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

PascalB
+1 for numbered header
+0 about TOC (user must be able to choose if he want a TOC on his page)
In someone interested, on (my wiki), I use that to add numbered header and TOC:http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/TOC+Macro#HExample4:TOCnumberingcorrespondingatNumberedHeadings
To add this code by default:---------------------------{{box cssClass="floatinginfobox" title="**Sommaire**"}}
{{toc numbered="true" depth="3"/}}
{{/box}}

{{numberedheadings/}}

//Voici le formatage type d'une page de l'Encyclopédie qu'il est conseillé d'appliquer.
Si vous souhaitez conserver cette mise en page avec sommaire vous devez remplacer ce texte (et ne pas supprimer les macros ci-dessus).//

= Titre de niveau un =

Texte
--------------------------- in all new doc of Encyclopédie space, I modify ./templates/editwysiwygnew.vm with---------------------------
## Affiche un contenu type pour tous les nouveaux documents ouvert avec Wysiwyg
#set($itemModLContenu = $xwiki.getDocument($escapetool.xml("Personnalisation.ModeleContenuEncyclopédie")))
#if ($tdoc.content == "" && $tdoc.space == $escapetool.xml("Encyclopédie"))
  $xwiki.getTextArea($itemModLContenu.getContent())
#else
  $xwiki.getTextArea($tdoc.content)
#end
---------------------------Anyway, someone (who?) create a whishlist page on xwiki.org? Or is it useless?
Thxs
Pascal B

     De : Hamster <[hidden email]>
 À : [hidden email]
 Envoyé le : Mardi 9 décembre 2014 8h38

What I would like to see in XWiki 7.x:

- A standard way of navigating the Wiki (I know there a several Extensions
available, but this needs to be a basic feature of XWiki). This is my no. 1
complaint ;-).
- Better layout, with numbered headers. This is the no. 1 complaint from our

Yes you are right it is http://ckeditor.com/   (I was confused because I tested MoinMoin editor http://moinmo.in/FCKeditor  and FckEditor probably changed his name)

      De : Hamster <[hidden email]>
 À : [hidden email]
 Envoyé le : Mardi 9 décembre 2014 9h06

PascalB wrote
*
*

FckEditor? Or do you mean  CKEditor <http://ckeditor.com/>  ?

Re: What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

jerem

> jerem wrote
> > - they usually consider that readability of titles and sub-titles
> > (headings) inside wiki pages is not very good, difficult to differentiate
> > them
>
> Why don't you use a "Style Sheet Extension" and completely define how each
> Header should look like?

For the same reason you talked about numbered headings, because ideally I'd
propose to have titles better by default :)
BTW there's an extension to get numbered headings:
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Numbered+Headings

http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Numbered+Headings
True, my only concern is that the TOC Macro is maintained by the XWiki Development Team , but the Numbered Headings is not (it's a contribution by Jeremie Bousquet). So future versions of XWIki might break the Numbered Headings. Those two extensions should idealy considered as one. :-)

Re: What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

Dmitry Bakbardin

Hi!
I'd add a list of proposals:

1.  Add SRD documentation for XWiki 6.x
2.  Some URLs are not shortened when using Tuckey's UrlRewriteFilter
(even it is closed - there are some problems noted in tha last comment)
3.  Admin Tools Application bug in Export pages with ' sign in page name

4.  Broken cross-wiki links on page rename
XWiki works fine in miltiwiki's environment, but page rename breaks cross-wiki links :(

5.  Wiki to wiki rename in multiwiki environment

6.  New ADD Link scenario in WYSIWYG editor - wiki -> Space -> Page -> Anchor selector in the WYSIWYG editor

7. XWiki.DeletedAttachments shows nothing when filesystem attachments are enabled.

8.  Shrink Recycle Bin works only with main wiki and gives an error in attempt to purge all documents in recycle bin

Kind regards,

Dmitry

Fri, 5 Dec 2014 19:19:52 +0200 от Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]>:

>On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Daniel Lundh < [hidden email] > wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> New XWiki user here.
>>
>> First, a big thanks, we are enjoying XWiki. :)
>>
>> We have a fairly common use case, using the wiki for documenting servers
>> and systems, trying to build an SKMS ala ITIL.
>>
>> What i'd like to see is better formatting of text being cut & pasted from
>> (mainly) Word.
>> The single biggest issue I have heard complaints about is formatting.
>> We are moving away from a Lotus Domino environment and here too the
>> formatting is mangled (this may have everything to do with Domino and
>> nothing with XWiki however) when doing copy/paste.
>>
>> I'd like tables to work like they do in Excel. When I press the tab key I
>> want to move to the next field.
>> I want to be able to size the table with my mouse in real-time.
>> I want the columns to be plainly visible, not just the rows.
>>
>> I want numbered lists to be a core feature.
>>

>> Making text different colors and/or fonts should work like in a regular
>> word processor, with a menu item in the WYSIWYG editor.
>
>This is already possible.
>http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/WysiwygEditor#HQuickReference
>. You need to enable it from the WYSIWYG editor section in the wiki
>administration. It's not very straightforward but this
>http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/WysiwygEditor#HPluginsandFeatures
>can help.
>
>The rest is very good feedback.
>
>Thanks,
>Marius
>

>> That's from the top of my head, anyway.
>>
>> Have a great weekend.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Daniel
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 1:17 PM,  [hidden email] < [hidden email] >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear XWiki users,
>>>
>>> We’re getting close to the end of the XWiki 6.x cycle (6.4 is planned for
>>> the end of December) and in January we’ll start developing the XWiki 7.x
>>> cycle (which will last the whole 2015 year), starting with XWiki 7.0.
>>>
>>> Thus it’s time for the XWiki devs to start defining the global roadmap for
>>> XWiki 7.x.
>>>
>>> As XWiki users, I’d like to know if you have some needs for XWiki 7.x.
>>> What would you be interested in seeing in XWiki 7.x?
>>>
>>> I’d like to start some proposal on the xwiki devs list (for the XWiki 7.x
>>> cycle) around end of December so it would be nice if you could shoot your
>>> suggestion ideas fast so that we can take them into account in the
>>> discussion! :)
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot for your help and I hope you’re enjoying using XWiki!
>>>
>>> -Vincent Massol
>>> XWiki Committer

>> Regards/Mvh
>> Daniel Lundh

Re: What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

Harald Ommang
Hi!

In one way, I very much appreciate the relatively high frequency of updates done by the XWIKI crew. You are doing a great job, making sure that XWIKI is alive and kicking and always improving.

The downside to this, is all the work needed to be done when upgrading. So, I don't do that very often. The basic part of installation/migration works very well, but when it comes to content, the upgrade procedure is messy, as I see it. It is a hassle to have to pick and choose between various parts when importing and exported XAR.

I would very much suggest planning for a future where the parts that are XWIKI software are clearly separated from the parts where customers typically do modifications. Especially items like users and groups. It should be possible to have a more separated export/import so that you GET new versions of e.g. the admin pages, while still KEEPING your setup of users, groups, etc., without having to click on a million of checkboxes in the import.

Best regards
Harald Ommang
Norway

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Harald Ommang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In one way, I very much appreciate the relatively high frequency of updates done by the XWIKI crew. You are doing a great job, making sure that XWIKI is alive and kicking and always improving.
>
> The downside to this, is all the work needed to be done when upgrading. So, I don't do that very often. The basic part of installation/migration works very well, but when it comes to content, the upgrade procedure is messy, as I see it. It is a hassle to have to pick and choose between various parts when importing and exported XAR.
>
> I would very much suggest planning for a future where the parts that are XWIKI software are clearly separated from the parts where customers typically do modifications. Especially items like users and groups. It should be possible to have a more separated export/import so that you GET new versions of e.g. the admin pages, while still KEEPING your setup of users, groups, etc., without having to click on a million of checkboxes in the import.

I don't really understand this comment, doing export/import is really
not the standard way of doing an upgrade. In typical upgrade you
backup everything if you want to be safe (or better you have automated
backups and you don't really need to do it when you upgrade), upgrade
the WAR part (if you use the Debian package then it's just about doing
apt-get upgrade or install with a specific version), restart, XWiki
upgrade the database shema automatically if needed and then you get
the Distribution Wizard which download and upgrade the wiki pages with
3 ways merge. Most of the time you don't have anything to do.

> Best regards
> Harald Ommang
> Norway

Re: What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 10:23 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Harald Ommang <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > In one way, I very much appreciate the relatively high frequency of
> updates done by the XWIKI crew. You are doing a great job, making sure that
> XWIKI is alive and kicking and always improving.
> >
> > The downside to this, is all the work needed to be done when upgrading.
> So, I don't do that very often. The basic part of installation/migration
> works very well, but when it comes to content, the upgrade procedure is
> messy, as I see it. It is a hassle to have to pick and choose between
> various parts when importing and exported XAR.
> >
> > I would very much suggest planning for a future where the parts that are
> XWIKI software are clearly separated from the parts where customers
> typically do modifications. Especially items like users and groups. It
> should be possible to have a more separated export/import so that you GET
> new versions of e.g. the admin pages, while still KEEPING your setup of
> users, groups, etc., without having to click on a million of checkboxes in
> the import.
>
> I don't really understand this comment, doing export/import is really
> not the standard way of doing an upgrade. In typical upgrade you
> backup everything if you want to be safe (or better you have automated
> backups and you don't really need to do it when you upgrade), upgrade
> the WAR part (if you use the Debian package then it's just about doing
> apt-get upgrade or install with a specific version), restart, XWiki
> upgrade the database shema automatically if needed and then you get
> the Distribution Wizard which download and upgrade the wiki pages with
> 3 ways merge. Most of the time you don't have anything to do.

Sure, but to benefit from all those nice Distribution Wizard features,
Harald would first need to... upgrade to the latest version ;-)

Guillaume

Re: What would you like to see in the XWiki 7.x cycle?

Harald Ommang
Good, I was hoping I was wrong.
If I am not completely wrong, my comment used to be valid...?

What do you mean with "3 ways merge"?
It is now clear to me that there is more to the Distribution Wizard than has (yet) met my eye :-)

Harald

wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Harald Ommang
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > In one way, I very much appreciate the relatively high frequency of
> updates done by the XWIKI crew. You are doing a great job, making sure
> that XWIKI is alive and kicking and always improving.
> >
> > The downside to this, is all the work needed to be done when upgrading.
> So, I don't do that very often. The basic part of
> installation/migration works very well, but when it comes to content,
> the upgrade procedure is messy, as I see it. It is a hassle to have to
> pick and choose between various parts when importing and exported XAR.
> >
> > I would very much suggest planning for a future where the parts that
> > are
> XWIKI software are clearly separated from the parts where customers
> typically do modifications. Especially items like users and groups. It
> should be possible to have a more separated export/import so that you
> GET new versions of e.g. the admin pages, while still KEEPING your
> setup of users, groups, etc., without having to click on a million of
> checkboxes in the import.
>
> I don't really understand this comment, doing export/import is really
> not the standard way of doing an upgrade. In typical upgrade you
> backup everything if you want to be safe (or better you have automated
> backups and you don't really need to do it when you upgrade), upgrade
> the WAR part (if you use the Debian package then it's just about doing
> apt-get upgrade or install with a specific version), restart, XWiki
> upgrade the database shema automatically if needed and then you get
> the Distribution Wizard which download and upgrade the wiki pages with
> 3 ways merge. Most of the time you don't have anything to do.
>

>Sure, but to benefit from all those nice Distribution Wizard features, Harald would first need to... upgrade to the latest version ;-)

>Guillaume

I might just do that, Guillaume :-)
Harald
12