Windows Live ID Becomes an OpenID Provider

Windows Live ID Becomes an OpenID Provider

Markus Lanthaler
Hi there,

Microsoft just announced at the PDC that Windows Live ID becomes an OpenID
Provider [1]. This will create millions of new OpenID users to the already
existing ones of Yahoo, AOL, Blogger, Flickr, and so on.

I can hardly wait to see my OpenID support to be integrated into the next
XWiki release :-)

Cheers,
Markus

[1] http://dev.live.com/blogs/devlive/archive/2008/10/27/421.aspx

Re: Windows Live ID Becomes an OpenID Provider

On Oct 27, 2008, at 10:10 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Microsoft just announced at the PDC that Windows Live ID becomes an
> OpenID
> Provider [1]. This will create millions of new OpenID users to the
> already
> existing ones of Yahoo, AOL, Blogger, Flickr, and so on.
>
> I can hardly wait to see my OpenID support to be integrated into the
> next
> XWiki release :-)

Yes, we need someone to look into that. Thomas wanted to do it but
I've asked him to help me on the new rendering for the 1.7 release so
I guess he hasn't had the time.

Can your patch be applied as is Markus or is there work to be done on
it?

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:39 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2008, at 10:10 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Microsoft just announced at the PDC that Windows Live ID becomes an
>> OpenID
>> Provider [1]. This will create millions of new OpenID users to the
>> already
>> existing ones of Yahoo, AOL, Blogger, Flickr, and so on.
>>
>> I can hardly wait to see my OpenID support to be integrated into the
>> next
>> XWiki release :-)
>
> Yes, we need someone to look into that. Thomas wanted to do it but
> I've asked him to help me on the new rendering for the 1.7 release so
> I guess he hasn't had the time.
>
> Can your patch be applied as is Markus or is there work to be done on
> it?

The patch is already good, maybe some modifications if things changed
since the patch was created but I doubt that. But there is no
automated test and I did not had time yet to write some with
rendering, LDAP and releases...

>> Cheers,
>> Markus
>>

>> [1] http://dev.live.com/blogs/devlive/archive/2008/10/27/421.aspx

Re: [gsoc] Re: Windows Live ID Becomes an OpenID Provider

Markus Lanthaler
>> Can your patch be applied as is Markus or is there work to be done on
>> it?
>
> The patch is already good, maybe some modifications if things changed
> since the patch was created but I doubt that. But there is no
> automated test and I did not had time yet to write some with
> rendering, LDAP and releases...

Right. It should be working and be complete as it is. I didn't checked it
but I don't think that there were any breaking changes in the meantime. The
only thing you maybe want change is the styling (CSS) and add styles to
other themes.

On Oct 28, 2008, at 7:00 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:

>>> Can your patch be applied as is Markus or is there work to be done
>>> on
>>> it?
>>
>> The patch is already good, maybe some modifications if things changed
>> since the patch was created but I doubt that. But there is no
>> automated test and I did not had time yet to write some with
>> rendering, LDAP and releases...
>
> Right. It should be working and be complete as it is. I didn't
> checked it
> but I don't think that there were any breaking changes in the
> meantime. The
> only thing you maybe want change is the styling (CSS) and add styles
> other themes.

Markus, I guess if you could provide tests then we could apply your
patch more quickly. How feasible is that? :)

Re: [gsoc] Re: Windows Live ID Becomes an OpenIDProvider

Markus Lanthaler
> Markus, I guess if you could provide tests then we could apply your
> patch more quickly. How feasible is that? :)

Unfortunately at the moment almost impossible. I'm workign 40 hours/week on
my master's thesis so I simple don't have the time to do it. I tested it
already manually very careful but I didn't found any elegant way to test it
automatically. Btw. the used library is fully unit-tested.

Re: Windows Live ID Becomes an OpenID Provider

Jean-Vincent Drean
For the record, Google is now an Open ID provider :
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/10/29/your-gmail-account-is-now-an-openid/

On Oct 30, 2008, at 5:16 PM, Jean-Vincent Drean wrote:

> For the record, Google is now an Open ID provider :
> http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/10/29/your-gmail-account-is-now-an-openid/

Not really. AFAIU google is not using OpenID but an extension of
OpenID that is not compatible with the spec if we are to believe this
post:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/google-doesnt-use-openid/

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Markus Lanthaler
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Microsoft just announced at the PDC that Windows Live ID becomes an
>> OpenID
>> Provider [1]. This will create millions of new OpenID users to the
>> already
>> existing ones of Yahoo, AOL, Blogger, Flickr, and so on.
>>
>> I can hardly wait to see my OpenID support to be integrated into
>> the next
>> XWiki release :-)
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Markus
>>

>> [1] http://dev.live.com/blogs/devlive/archive/2008/10/27/421.aspx

Re: Windows Live ID Becomes an OpenID Provider

Fabian Pichler
Hi all

I think it is not that dramic. Read on openid.net itself:
http://openid.net/

> There was some discussion<http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/google-doesnt-use-openid/>from a few people yesterday claiming that Google's implementation was a fork
> of OpenID. Today, Eric Sachs, Google's lead on this effort, has another
> post<http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/2008/10/moving-another-step-closer-to-single.html>responding to some of this early criticism:
>
> That registration requirement also led to some confusion because users
> wanted to be able to use existing websites that accept OpenID 2.0 compliant
> logins by simply entering gmail.com (or in some cases their E-mail
> address) into the login boxes on those websites. … Once the XRDS file is
> live, end-users should be able to use the service by typing gmail.com in
> the OpenID field of any login box that supports OpenID 2.0, similar to how
> Yahoo users can type yahoo.com or their Yahoo E-mail address (In the
> meantime, if you feel really geeky, you can type
> https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id into an OpenID 2.0 login box).
>
> Cheers,
Fabian

2008/10/30 Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>

> On Oct 30, 2008, at 5:16 PM, Jean-Vincent Drean wrote:
>
> > For the record, Google is now an Open ID provider :
> >
> http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/10/29/your-gmail-account-is-now-an-openid/
>
> Not really. AFAIU google is not using OpenID but an extension of
> OpenID that is not compatible with the spec if we are to believe this
> post:
> http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/google-doesnt-use-openid/

> > On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Markus Lanthaler
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> Microsoft just announced at the PDC that Windows Live ID becomes an
> >> OpenID
> >> Provider [1]. This will create millions of new OpenID users to the
> >> already
> >> existing ones of Yahoo, AOL, Blogger, Flickr, and so on.
> >>
> >> I can hardly wait to see my OpenID support to be integrated into
> >> the next
> >> XWiki release :-)
> >>

> >> Cheers,
> >> Markus
> >>

> >> [1] http://dev.live.com/blogs/devlive/archive/2008/10/27/421.aspx

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Fabian Pichler

synventis gmbh    Gerbergasse 30    CH - 4001  Basel

The  information  contained in  this message  may be
confidential and is intended for the addressee only.
Any  unauthorised use,  dissemination of  the infor-
mation,  or  copying of this message  is prohibited.

Re: Windows Live ID Becomes an OpenID Provider

Fabian Pichler
For the Record:
http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/2008/10/moving-another-step-closer-to-single.html

> I can hardly wait to see my OpenID support to be integrated into the next
> XWiki release :-)
Me too. :-)

Fabian.

Re: [gsoc] Re: Windows Live ID Becomes an OpenID Provider

Markus Lanthaler
Right. As far as I know it will be a fully OpenID 2.0 compliant OP when
finally launched. It's not live yet! I think they launched it a bit
prematurely in response to Microsoft’s announcement.

Have a nice weekend,
 Markus