Wysiwyg editor plans

Stéphane Laurière-6
Hi everyone,

It's getting clear from the dev and user communities that the wiki
editor module is getting kind of bottleneck for document editing and
advanced apps writing. So this is one of the hottest XWiki development
topics this year. Ludovic prototyped a new generation editor entirely
based on GWT 1.4 + GWT RichTextEditor featuring also real-time
collaboration capabilities. On his side, Mikhail from Cognium Systems
investigated several strategies. All current partakers in this project,
can you update the following page with your ideas and links to existing
prototypes?

http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewWysiwygEditorBasedOnGwt

Let's discuss the various strategies on the list, with pointers to Web
pages whenever possible (yes, email is obsolete [1], we'll have to
bootstrap the new communication tools, and this wysiwyg will be a big
part of them). Beside the technical aspects, we'll have to discuss also
the licensing and the hosting (XWiki versus other independant forges)
aspects.

[1] http://arkub.net/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/Farewell_SMTP

Cheers

Stéphane

--
Stéphane Laurière
[hidden email]

XWiki http://www.xwiki.com
http://concerto.xwiki.com
http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org

Re: Wysiwyg editor plans

kaaloo
Hi there,

I think one of the issues that needs to be thought about is whether
the editor will use the underlying browser design mode or reimplement
this in js like the axed editor:

http://code.google.com/p/axed/

I also think that this initiative would gain by being placed in a
larger context such as being a GWT project on code.google.com,
especially if the core and a lot of plugins are suitable for use cases
outside XWiki, like format conversion or simple HTML editing.

Luis

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Stéphane Laurière <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
>  It's getting clear from the dev and user communities that the wiki
>  editor module is getting kind of bottleneck for document editing and
>  advanced apps writing. So this is one of the hottest XWiki development
>  topics this year. Ludovic prototyped a new generation editor entirely
>  based on GWT 1.4 + GWT RichTextEditor featuring also real-time
>  collaboration capabilities. On his side, Mikhail from Cognium Systems
>  investigated several strategies. All current partakers in this project,
>  can you update the following page with your ideas and links to existing
>  prototypes?
>
>  http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewWysiwygEditorBasedOnGwt
>
>  Let's discuss the various strategies on the list, with pointers to Web
>  pages whenever possible (yes, email is obsolete [1], we'll have to
>  bootstrap the new communication tools, and this wysiwyg will be a big
>  part of them). Beside the technical aspects, we'll have to discuss also
>  the licensing and the hosting (XWiki versus other independant forges)
>  aspects.
>
>  [1] http://arkub.net/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/Farewell_SMTP
>
>  Cheers
>
>  Stéphane
>

>  --
>  Stéphane Laurière
>  [hidden email]
>
>  XWiki http://www.xwiki.com
>  http://concerto.xwiki.com
>  http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org

Luis Arias
+33 6 14 20 87 93
skype : kaaloo

Re: Wysiwyg editor plans

Stéphane Laurière-6

Hi Luis, hi everyone

Luis Arias wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I think one of the issues that needs to be thought about is whether
> the editor will use the underlying browser design mode or reimplement
> this in js like the axed editor:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/axed/

right

Mikhail is looking at Axed as well, and issued the following comparison:
http://code.google.com/p/wikimodel/wiki/WysiwygEditorComparision

> I also think that this initiative would gain by being placed in a
> larger context such as being a GWT project on code.google.com,
> especially if the core and a lot of plugins are suitable for use cases
> outside XWiki, like format conversion or simple HTML editing.

I agree with you Luis. It could actually be hosted under the wikimodel
project, or another distinct one.

Stéphane