[XE 1.2.2] Space characters trimmed in attachment names

[XE 1.2.2] Space characters trimmed in attachment names

Jeremie

Hello,

Don’t know if it’s a bug or an evolution, but after migrating my xwiki to 1.2.2, when I attach a new file to a page, all spaces characters are trimmed from the name. I didn’t found anything about that in Jira.

For example “My Doc Attached.doc” gets renamed to “MyDocAttached.doc”.

I see at least one issue coming from this : if you attach the same file it’s not considered the same because it’s renamed. Your existing links also link to the previous version, and it’s not easy to find by end-user.

And anyway you don’t want the file to be renamed when attached …

I’m using XE 1.2.2 on MySql 4.0 and RedHat R4.

WDTY ?

Thanks,

Jeremie

Re: [XE 1.2.2] Space characters trimmed in attachment names

Jean-Vincent Drean
> Hello,
>
> Don't know if it's a bug or an evolution, but after migrating my xwiki to
> 1.2.2, when I attach a new file to a page, all spaces characters are trimmed
> from the name. I didn't found anything about that in Jira.
> For example "My Doc Attached.doc" gets renamed to "MyDocAttached.doc".

http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-2090
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-2087

The use of the clearName method for attachment names is a temporary
fix until the resolution of all our encoding issues.

> I see at least one issue coming from this : if you attach the same file it's
> not considered the same because it's renamed. Your existing links also link
> to the previous version, and it's not easy to find by end-user.
> And anyway you don't want the file to be renamed when attached …

Yes this is a drawback of this fix.

JV.

Re: [XE 1.2.2] Space characters trimmed in attachmentnames

Jeremie
Ok, thanks Jean-Vincent,
IMO temporary fix is worse than initial issue ... :/

Jeremie

> Don't know if it's a bug or an evolution, but after migrating my xwiki to
> 1.2.2, when I attach a new file to a page, all spaces characters are trimmed
> from the name. I didn't found anything about that in Jira.
> For example "My Doc Attached.doc" gets renamed to "MyDocAttached.doc".

http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-2090
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-2087

The use of the clearName method for attachment names is a temporary
fix until the resolution of all our encoding issues.

> I see at least one issue coming from this : if you attach the same file it's
> not considered the same because it's renamed. Your existing links also link
> to the previous version, and it's not easy to find by end-user.
> And anyway you don't want the file to be renamed when attached ...

Yes this is a drawback of this fix.

JV.

Re: [XE 1.2.2] Space characters trimmed in attachmentnames

Jean-Vincent Drean
> Ok, thanks Jean-Vincent,
>  IMO temporary fix is worse than initial issue ... :/

Well this temporary fix isn't perfect but still better than the
blocking issues that were raised before : undeletable attachments,
unembeddable images, etc.
BTW may be we should clear the name but keep the spaces (which aren't
a problem), wdyt ?

JV.

Re: [XE 1.2.2] Space characters trimmed inattachmentnames

Jeremie

Undeletable attachments give some work to the admin, problems of attachments and images names are easily workaround by asking users not to use special characters in names ... While trimming spaces impacts all users and anyway you have to ask them to take care of resulting name of their attachments ...
That's why I'm not sure it's better than the blocking-in-some-specific-cases issue ... :)