XE 2.3 and search

Daniel Johansson
I seem to have a problem with the search ever since I upgraded to 2.3. First off it fails to load the html macro. This is a known issue. I have repeatedly imported the Main.WebSearch page from the default 2.3 wiki with no success. After manually adding a new line after the {hmtl} in question the page renders. But now if I search on something (I have to manually delete the 'Search..' string in the search box first) I will see the result list flash by momentarily only to have that wiped and presented with the empty search page again.
Did something go wrong with my upgrade or what could have happened since no one else seems to experience this? Everything else seems to work as expected from what I've tried.

Also, after fixing the Main.WebSearch page I did an import again and now I'm back to the failed macro message again.

Re: XE 2.3 and search

Caleb James DeLisle
The {{html}} issue is because the rendering engine was completely
rewritten which eliminated some bugs which had been relied upon.
Your report sounds like an Internet Explorer related Javascript bug.
 If so, you can work around it by using Firefox and we will look
into the problem.

Sorry for the trouble.

Caleb

Daniel Johansson wrote:

> I seem to have a problem with the search ever since I upgraded to 2.3. First
> off it fails to load the html macro. This is a known issue. I have
> repeatedly imported the Main.WebSearch page from the default 2.3 wiki with
> no success. After manually adding a new line after the {hmtl} in question
> the page renders. But now if I search on something (I have to manually
> delete the 'Search..' string in the search box first) I will see the result
> list flash by momentarily only to have that wiped and presented with the
> empty search page again.
> Did something go wrong with my upgrade or what could have happened since no
> one else seems to experience this? Everything else seems to work as expected
> from what I've tried.
>
> Also, after fixing the Main.WebSearch page I did an import again and now I'm
> back to the failed macro message again.

Re: XE 2.3 and search

Daniel Johansson
I'm using Firefox by default. I have verified that the behavior is the same for IE and Chrome as well.

Re: XE 2.3 and search

Caleb James DeLisle
Using Firefox 3.6.3 I have observed correct behavior here:
http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebSearch
after fixing the html macro issue.
This site is running 2.3

You can compare your code to the code here:
http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebSearch?viewer=code

Also check to make sure this is available on your server:
your.server/xwiki/resources/uicomponents/search/search.js
Missing the js file leads to similar results to what you reported.

Caleb

Daniel Johansson wrote:
> I'm using Firefox by default. I have verified that the behavior is the same
> for IE and Chrome as well.

Re: XE 2.3 and search

Daniel Johansson
Ok,
I actually copied and pasted the code from your sample site. I diffed both the search.js and the search.css between mine and the sample. Exactly the same.

I have no idea why it flashes the results and then disappears? What other documents are involved?

Re: XE 2.3 and search

Caleb James DeLisle

Daniel Johansson wrote:
> Ok,
> I actually copied and pasted the code from your sample site. I diffed both
> the search.js and the search.css between mine and the sample. Exactly the
> same.
>
> I have no idea why it flashes the results and then disappears?
I am most suspicious of javascript misbehaving. Maybe give it a try
with js disabled.
Also if it's javascript you might get some idea what's going on by
opening chrome://global/content/console.xul in a different tab and
after loading the page, checking it for errors.

> What other documents are involved?
XWiki.Results seems to be included by the XWiki.WebSearch page.

Caleb

Re: XE 2.3 and search

Daniel Johansson
You are right, after disabling javascript the search appears to work without issues (except for the 'Search..' string not clearing in the input box).

I looked in the error console and did not see anything. There are two warnings but they are generated on all pages.

Re: XE 2.3 and search

Caleb James DeLisle
The only thing I can think of short of stepping through the
javascript with firebug is to make sure you're doing searches which
are not going to return any results lest one of the results is
somehow causing javascript to be executed.

The offending clause is probably a
window.location.reload()
or maybe window.location.href = something.

so you might try doing a search with js disabled and then looking at
the source code for the page and text searching for the word "location".

Caleb