XEM Configuration

Jamison Novak
Hi All,

I'm new to XWiki (and the list) and have a few questions. I'm
specifically needing help with the Virtual Wiki portion of things, but
that will be for a follow-up Email. The first thing I need to verify is
that I've got the base installation of things essentially correctly
configured.

Our webserver is Apache 2.0 with Java being served up by Resin on the
back end. I've installed XWiki Enterprise Manager 1.2 into its own
directory (/usr/local/www/xwiki) and created a separate Resin instance
for it (listening on port 6807). A portion of the XWiki Resin config
file looks like this:

    <host id="xwiki.domain.dom" root-directory="/usr/local/www/xwiki/"
host-name="xwiki.domain.dom" host-alias="xwiki">
      <web-app id="/" document-directory="/usr/local/www/xwiki/">
          [...]
      </web-app>
    </host>

The Resin instance starts fine. I created a Virtual Host for it in
Apache as follows:

<VirtualHost MY_IP:80>
    ServerName    xwiki.domain.dom
    ServerAlias     xwiki
    DocumentRoot    /usr/local/www/xwiki/
    ResinConfigServer localhost 6807
</VirtualHost>

The main problem I have is that I can't get the wiki to load. If I go to
http://xwiki/ or http://xwiki.domain.dom/ (internal server; don't bother
trying) -- I just get a directory listing of the XWiki files. If I click
on the "redirect" text file in the directory, it will work its magic and
send me to the welcome page for the wiki.

I haven't seen anything mentioned anywhere about that specific problem,
so I'm asking. Is it normal to have to add something like this to the
VirtualHost container:

    RedirectMatch permanent ^/$ /redirect

In effect, doing two redirects on the initial root page load? Is there
another way I should be configuring things?

Sorry for the length. I just wanted to give a bit of background before I
asked, since I have a follow-up question or two regarding running
Virtual Wikis (ugh).

Thanks for listening.

-Jamie

Re: XEM Configuration

Jamison Novak
Please disregard the original message below. After a day and a half of
banging my head against the wall, I figured out the problem I was having
with virtual wikis.

Just in case anybody else runs into the problem I was experiencing with
Apache+Resin+XEM, I'll summarize.

XEM was installed, running, and apparently functioning correctly. I was
able to get to the "master" xwiki instance, create/modfiy/delete virtual
wikis, and do everything you'd expect within that interface. No matter
how I specified the host/domain information for the virtual wiki,
however, I was not able to get to the virtual wiki instance.

DNS was correct, Apache was sending me to the right place, but the
"redirect" file in the XWiki directory would just get displayed as text
and the wiki itself would never come up even if I went directly to
various known-good pages.

It turns out that Resin was actually the culprit. In the config file,
I'd specified the Resin host as this:

  <host id="xwiki.domain.dom" root-directory="/usr/local/www/xwiki"
      host-name="xwiki.domain.dom" host-alias="xwiki">

So, even though DNS entries and Apache Virtual Hosts were created for
the *other* virtual wiki instances, Resin only cared about the
xwiki.domain.dom hostname/instance and let everything else stay with
Apache. I made the following change to my configuration (broken out into
separate tags for ease-of-reading) and it's now working swimmingly:

    <host regexp="([^.]+)\.domain\.dom">
      <host-name>${host.regexp[1]}.domain.dom</host-name>
      <host-alias>${host.regexp[1]}</host-alias>
      <root-directory>/usr/local/www/xwiki</root-directory>

Sorry for another long post, but I figured this was worth sending in
case there's another masochist out there running XWiki under
Apache+Resin and having the same problems. (Things get murky when you're
dealing with resin's ability to handle virtual hosts, apache's ability
to handle virtual hosts, and xwiki's ability to detect virtual hosts -
all independently functioning and configured).

Cheers,
Jamie

Re: XEM Configuration

Thanks a lot Jamie for posting back the solution. It's great you did
this and I'm sure it'll help others in the future.

On Jul 3, 2008, at 3:47 PM, Jamison Novak wrote:

> Please disregard the original message below. After a day and a half of
> banging my head against the wall, I figured out the problem I was
> having
> with virtual wikis.
>
> Just in case anybody else runs into the problem I was experiencing
> with
> Apache+Resin+XEM, I'll summarize.
>
> XEM was installed, running, and apparently functioning correctly. I
> was
> able to get to the "master" xwiki instance, create/modfiy/delete
> virtual
> wikis, and do everything you'd expect within that interface. No matter
> how I specified the host/domain information for the virtual wiki,
> however, I was not able to get to the virtual wiki instance.
>
> DNS was correct, Apache was sending me to the right place, but the
> "redirect" file in the XWiki directory would just get displayed as
> text
> and the wiki itself would never come up even if I went directly to
> various known-good pages.
>
> It turns out that Resin was actually the culprit. In the config file,
> I'd specified the Resin host as this:
>
>  <host id="xwiki.domain.dom" root-directory="/usr/local/www/xwiki"
>      host-name="xwiki.domain.dom" host-alias="xwiki">
>
> So, even though DNS entries and Apache Virtual Hosts were created for
> the *other* virtual wiki instances, Resin only cared about the
> xwiki.domain.dom hostname/instance and let everything else stay with
> Apache. I made the following change to my configuration (broken out
> into
> separate tags for ease-of-reading) and it's now working swimmingly:
>
>    <host regexp="([^.]+)\.domain\.dom">
>      <host-name>${host.regexp[1]}.domain.dom</host-name>
>      <host-alias>${host.regexp[1]}</host-alias>
>      <root-directory>/usr/local/www/xwiki</root-directory>
>
> Sorry for another long post, but I figured this was worth sending in
> case there's another masochist out there running XWiki under
> Apache+Resin and having the same problems. (Things get murky when
> you're
> dealing with resin's ability to handle virtual hosts, apache's ability
> to handle virtual hosts, and xwiki's ability to detect virtual hosts -
> all independently functioning and configured).
>
> Cheers,
> Jamie

Re: XEM Configuration

Esbach, Brandon
It may be worth putting this into the documentation