XWiki 6.1 - Share page by email - error

henri_stm
Hi,

We have an xwiki 6.1 installation and we can't figure out the « Share page by email » function.

It works very well for Admin users, but it doesn't work for regular users. We get an error message saying "Error: The message could not be sent to userX : email server error." (Or in French : Le message n'a pas pu être envoyé à UserX : Erreur du serveur email.)

It's the same error message seen for this problem (look at the error.png attachment) : http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XE-1451

It looks like a permission problem, but I don't where to look. The stack trace on the other hand says that there is an illegal semicolon somewhere in the address field, which prevents the MailSenderPlugin from sending the email. Again, only for regular users, Admins are OK. I've intercepted the http requests with Fiddler, even look at the POST payload and I don't see any semicolon.

View the stack trace here: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/acafd8dfd501596ff94c2277982867d4

Can someone provide some insight?

Best regards,
Henri-Robert Sully

Re: XWiki 6.1 - Share page by email - error

henri_stm
Anyone?

Does the stack trace ring a bell? https://gist.github.com/anonymous/acafd8dfd501596ff94c2277982867d4

Regards,
Henri

Re: XWiki 6.1 - Share page by email - error

That looks like a real bug in XWiki. The problem comes from the quotes
in the user's name: Henri-Robert "test" Sully

A quick fix is to remove the "test" part from the name, since I doubt
real users will actually have quotes in their names. But ' is quite
common in names like O'Brian, and that will still break the share page
feature.

There seem to be two XWiki bugs involved:
- The username is HTML-escaped, but in this case it shouldn't be
- The Q encoding is wrong, it doesn't escape & and #

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: XWiki 6.1 - Share page by email - error

henri_stm
Hi,

I did remove the "test" part of the user name, thus removing the quotes.

That fixed it for me. Thank you for your input.

What should I do about the two bugs you outlined:
- The username is HTML-escaped, but in this case it shouldn't be
- The Q encoding is wrong, it doesn't escape & and #

Should I open bugs in Jira? Are these bugs worth mentioning since I'm on version 6.1 and version 9.0.1 is already in the works.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu