XWiki Developers Release

Ludovic Dubost

Here is a status on the development towards the next release, which
should be the one of the very last release before 1.0.

The following major feature have been added to the current SVN version

Thanks to the Summer of Code we have now

- a WYSIWYG Editor
- a Chart Wizard
- a new Query Language

Additionnally we have:

- a new title field and different rendering of document names in links
and in the header
- a backlinks feature (activated using xwiki.backlinks=1 in xwiki.cfg)
- a custom mapping feature allowing to store XWiki Objects in flat
tables for advanced developments
- new storage of XWiki classes definition in the xwikidoc table instead
of multiple tables
- the XWiki Preferences now use a custom mapping for better performance
- lot's of bug fixes, incl. access through proxies, issues with the
multilingual feature
- an import/export API (for backups and for XWiki applications) which is
needed for the Import/Export XWiki page
- improvements to the URL scheme which will allow to reduce the number
of elements in the xwiki URLs (currently some XWiki features still need
xwiki to run on the /xwiki/ path)

These are a lot of new features which needs to be well tested before
become fully usable. Most of the features can be deactivated or are
backwards compatible.
We would need some help from the XWiki community to test this new
version and report any issues in JIRA ( http://jira.xwiki.org ).

Except for the preferences storage and the xwiki classes definition
storage, it is possible to revert to an older version even if running
the new version. Now it is highly recommended to backup your database
and test with care on production data.

I'm planning to provide a test build for developers, but if you want to
test right away, you will need to build XWiki from the SVN code.

The plan for getting XWiki to 1.0 is:

- bug fixing
- bug fixing
- documentation
- very small missing features
- bug fixing
- documentation
- revamp of the XWiki interface according to the Usability report done
during the summer
- bug fixing
- documentation

Any help or comments is welcome.

For now it would be usefull to identify bugs that would absolutely need
to be fixed before releasing this version to replace 0.9.840. The
objective is to provide an improvement versus 0.9.840 and allow working
with the new features, not necessarily to provide a perfect version.

Thanks and happy testing

Re: XWiki Developers Release

Hans Gerwitz
I love all the progress that you guys are making!  I feel validated
in my decision to migrate to XWiki.

I'd like to propose that the Groovy issues (security and extra-
document code inclusion) be considered "must haves" for 1.0.  We're
using Groovy exclusively for scripting.
- - -
Hans Gerwitz
http://phobia.com/

On Oct 26, 2005, at 7:45 PM, Ludovic Dubost wrote:

> [...]
> done during the summer
> - bug fixing
> - documentation
>
> Any help or comments is welcome.
>
> For now it would be usefull to identify bugs that would absolutely
> need to be fixed before releasing this version to replace 0.9.840.
> The objective is to provide an improvement versus 0.9.840 and allow
> working with the new features, not necessarily to provide a perfect
> version.
>
> Thanks and happy testing
>
> Ludovic
>
> --
> Ludovic Dubost
> XPertNet: http://www.xpertnet.fr/
> Blog: http://www.ludovic.org/blog/
> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
> Skype: ldubost AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic
>

> --
> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

RE: XWiki Developers Release

Stephen Schaub
>Here is a status on the development towards the next release, which should
>be the one of the very last release before 1.0.

This is great news.

>- a backlinks feature (activated using xwiki.backlinks=1 in xwiki.cfg)

I was hoping this was coming. I'm reallly looking forward to trying it out.

>- an import/export API (for backups and for XWiki applications) which is
>needed for the Import/Export XWiki page

This is another feature I've really been waiting for.

>- a custom mapping feature allowing to store XWiki Objects in flat tables
>for advanced developments
>- new storage of XWiki classes definition in the xwikidoc table instead of
>multiple tables
>- the XWiki Preferences now use a custom mapping for better performance

This is good news, too. When I first looked at the XWiki database schema and
saw how classes and objects were stored, I was concerned about the
efficiency issues.

One feature I really hope makes it into the 1.0 release is better handling
of versioned attachments. (Jira Issues: XWIKI-37, 38, 130). There are some
other issues with those I plan to add to the bug tracker.

>I'm planning to provide a test build for developers, but if you want to
>test right away, you will need to build XWiki from the SVN code.

I look forward to the test build. I'm behind a firewall and don't have SVN
access. I could download the SVN snapshot, but at 478 MB, it seems
excessively large (???).

>The plan for getting XWiki to 1.0 is:
>
>- bug fixing
>- bug fixing
>- documentation
>- very small missing features
>- bug fixing
>- documentation
>- revamp of the XWiki interface according to the Usability report done
>during the summer
>- bug fixing
>- documentation
I am really glad to see the emphasis on bug fixing in this road map. I've
found a lot of relatively minor bugs, and some not-so-minor ones, that
collectively add up to a rather steep learning curve for XWiki. I have been
hoping that XWiki won't be like so many open source projects that seem to
consistently focus on adding new features instead of making a really solid,
useable release.

Thanks, "X Team," for your work! I'm looking forward to taking the test
release for a spin.

Stephen

Re: XWiki Developers Release

Sam Taha
Glad to see a J2EE based wiki making good progress. xwiki looks very promising.

Although a superficial concern of mine, I am glad to see you guys are going to improve the GUI L&F and usability.

Keep up the good work.

-Sam