XWiki Features survey for the 6.x cycle

Silvia Rusu
Hi,

In 2009 and 2012 the xwiki.org project launched some surveys about
features to have in XWiki in priority:
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2009
(results at: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
)
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012
(results at:
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/FeatureSurveyResult201204
)

I thought it would be nice to launch a similar survey in 2013 in order
to give the project some information to prepare the XWiki 6.x roadmap.
The survey is available at:
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2013

It would be great if you could help by filling in the survey by January 31.
The results will be published on xwiki.org and shared
with the XWiki committers list at the beginning of February.

Thank you,
Silvia
Silvia Rusu
Tester & Documentation Writer - XWiki
http://twitter.com/silviarusu

Re: XWiki Features survey for the 6.x cycle

Dmitry Bakbardin
 Hi, Silvia!

I'd add one more feature:

Make Filesytem storage ready for production.

Hope, I'm not alone :-)

Четверг, 19 декабря 2013, 14:40 +02:00 от Silvia Rusu <[hidden email]>:

>Hi,
>
>In 2009 and 2012 the xwiki.org project launched some surveys about
>features to have in XWiki in priority:
>http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2009
>(results at:  http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
>)
>http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012
>(results at:
>http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/FeatureSurveyResult201204
>)
>
>I thought it would be nice to launch a similar survey in 2013 in order
>to give the project some information to prepare the XWiki 6.x roadmap.
>The survey is available at:
>http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2013
>
>It would be great if you could help by filling in the survey by January 31.
>The results will be published on xwiki.org and shared
>with the XWiki committers list at the beginning of February.
>
>Thank you,
>Silvia

Kind regards,

Dmitry

FS Attachments (was Re: XWiki Features survey for the 6.x cycle)

On 20 Dec 2013 at 04:15:50, Dmitry Bakbardin ([hidden email](mailto://[hidden email])) wrote:

> Hi, Silvia!
>
> I'd add one more feature:
>
> Make Filesytem storage ready for production.

On this topic:
* You mean for attachments only, right?
* What is missing in your opinion for it to be production-ready? (If you could list the JIRA issues that would be great)

> Hope, I'm not alone :-)

No you’re not alone.

We need to make FS attachments the default ASAP I believe (even though it increases the complexity of exporting content). BTW @thomas, does your new wikistream export take into account FS attachments yet? We might want/need to support that in our XAR export/import to make it transparent to the user where the attachments are stored.

Thanks a lot
-Vincent

> Четверг, 19 декабря 2013, 14:40 +02:00 от Silvia Rusu :
> >Hi,
> >
> >In 2009 and 2012 the xwiki.org project launched some surveys about
> >features to have in XWiki in priority:
> >http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2009
> >(results at: http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
> >)
> >http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012
> >(results at:
> >http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/FeatureSurveyResult201204
> >)
> >
> >I thought it would be nice to launch a similar survey in 2013 in order
> >to give the project some information to prepare the XWiki 6.x roadmap.
> >The survey is available at:
> >http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2013
> >
> >It would be great if you could help by filling in the survey by January 31.
> >The results will be published on xwiki.org and shared
> >with the XWiki committers list at the beginning of February.
> >
> >Thank you,
> >Silvia

Re: FS Attachments (was Re: XWiki Features survey for the 6.x cycle)

Dmitry Bakbardin
 Hi, Vincent,

See below.

Пятница, 20 декабря 2013, 9:04 +01:00 от "[hidden email]" < [hidden email] >:

>Hi,
>
>On 20 Dec 2013 at 04:15:50, Dmitry Bakbardin ([hidden email](mailto://[hidden email])) wrote:
>
>> Hi, Silvia!
>>
>> I'd add one more feature:
>>
>> Make Filesytem storage ready for production.
>
>On this topic:
>* You mean for attachments only, right?
>* What is missing in your opinion for it to be production-ready? (If you could list the JIRA issues that would be great)
Yes and no.
Yes:
*  XWIKI-9065 XWiki.DeletedAttachments shows nothing when filesystem attachments are enabled -  this makes recycle bin useless for attachments now and causes undesired side-effects.
*  XWIKI-9710    While filesytem is on, attachments are deleted, but folders in storage are not - not a big problem, but still
No.
I mean also:
- import-export as you already mentioned
- synchronizing multiple wikis in cluster. DB clustering won't work here, so we need a mechanism of syncing attachments in FS. This task is not simple as I understand, but new Wiki Streaming system could evolve to make it real as far as I understand. I didn't put it in Jira yet.

I hope that's it :)

>> Hope, I'm not alone :-)
>
>No you’re not alone.
>
>We need to make FS attachments the default ASAP I believe (even though it increases the complexity of exporting content). BTW @thomas, does your new wikistream export take into account FS attachments yet? We might want/need to support that in our XAR export/import to make it transparent to the user where the attachments are stored.
>
>Thanks a lot
>-Vincent
>
>> Четверг, 19 декабря 2013, 14:40 +02:00 от Silvia Rusu :
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >In 2009 and 2012 the xwiki.org project launched some surveys about
>> >features to have in XWiki in priority:
>> >  http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2009
>> >(results at:  http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
>> >)
>> >  http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012
>> >(results at:
>> >  http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/FeatureSurveyResult201204
>> >)
>> >
>> >I thought it would be nice to launch a similar survey in 2013 in order
>> >to give the project some information to prepare the XWiki 6.x roadmap.
>> >The survey is available at:
>> >  http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2013
>> >
>> >It would be great if you could help by filling in the survey by January 31.
>> >The results will be published on xwiki.org and shared
>> >with the XWiki committers list at the beginning of February.
>> >
>> >Thank you,
>> >Silvia

Kind regards,

Dmitry

Re: FS Attachments (was Re: XWiki Features survey for the 6.x cycle)

See below

On 20 Dec 2013 at 10:13:06, Dmitry Bakbardin ([hidden email](mailto://[hidden email])) wrote:

> Hi, Vincent,
>
> See below.
>

> Пятница, 20 декабря 2013, 9:04 +01:00 от "[hidden email]" < [hidden email] >:
> >Hi,
> >
> >On 20 Dec 2013 at 04:15:50, Dmitry Bakbardin ([hidden email](mailto://[hidden email])) wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, Silvia!
> >>
> >> I'd add one more feature:
> >>
> >> Make Filesytem storage ready for production.
> >
> >On this topic:
> >* You mean for attachments only, right?
> >* What is missing in your opinion for it to be production-ready? (If you could list the JIRA issues that would be great)
> Yes and no.
> Yes:
> * XWIKI-9065 XWiki.DeletedAttachments shows nothing when filesystem attachments are enabled - this makes recycle bin useless for attachments now and causes undesired side-effects.
> * XWIKI-9710 While filesytem is on, attachments are deleted, but folders in storage are not - not a big problem, but still
> No.
> I mean also:
> - import-export as you already mentioned
> - synchronizing multiple wikis in cluster. DB clustering won't work here, so we need a mechanism of syncing attachments in FS. This task is not simple as I understand, but new Wiki Streaming system could evolve to make it real as far as I understand. I didn't put it in Jira yet.

Ok thanks.

For this last point, the solution we recommend is to use a distributed filesystem (NFS or other).

> I hope that's it :)
>

> >> Hope, I'm not alone :-)
> >
> >No you’re not alone.
> >
> >We need to make FS attachments the default ASAP I believe (even though it increases the complexity of exporting content). BTW @thomas, does your new wikistream export take into account FS attachments yet? We might want/need to support that in our XAR export/import to make it transparent to the user where the attachments are stored.
> >
> >Thanks a lot
> >-Vincent
> >
> >> Четверг, 19 декабря 2013, 14:40 +02:00 от Silvia Rusu :

Re: XWiki Features survey for the 6.x cycle

domak

I cannot access to google drive from my company but as a new user on xwiki,
I think xwiki must improve on several parts (I'm used to confluence):

   - review documentation: information is dispatched on too many pages and
   should be more end-users oriented
   exemple on rights management:
      - http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Access+Rights
      - http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/RightsManagement
      -
      http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GettingStarted/SettingUserRights

   - upgrading a version is painful (jenkins is the model) and should be
   done from browser (my server has no access to internet)

   - xwiki default template contains to much information on
   "lifecyle" page (last modified, comments, history are present on the header
   - should be before title on ultra small fonts - and on the footer) - it
   doesn't help to focus on the content

   - style must be more easier to customize (exemple: how to change default
   font is not easy)

   - rights management is non intuitive (see
   http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GettingStarted/SettingUserRights-
I check with my coworkers)

   - wysiwyg editor:
      - limitation on shortcuts that applies only on selection - if I want
      to type some bold text, I cannot hit CTRL-B and begin to type
      - is is sometimes difficult to use it to control precisely text - all
      my coworkers use now the markup language

   - hierarchy:
      - a macro should be in the standard distribution and could be used to
      display subtree (the tree in "document index" is a good start)
      - children pages should be more accessible (not in information tab
      but in the footer of the page?)

   - asciidoc support?

   - copy/paste image

   - allow word doc import without installing libreoffice

My feeling is currently a developer platform more than a end-user oriented
wiki.
I know that everything is customizable but simple things should be simpler
to do.

By the way, there are a lot of features that I love in xwiki, like the
editable sections that are a must to have.

Regards,

Christophe

2013/12/20 Dmitry Bakbardin <[hidden email]>

>  Hi, Silvia!
>
> I'd add one more feature:
>
> Make Filesytem storage ready for production.
>
> Hope, I'm not alone :-)
>

> Четверг, 19 декабря 2013, 14:40 +02:00 от Silvia Rusu <
> [hidden email]>:
> >Hi,
> >
> >In 2009 and 2012 the xwiki.org project launched some surveys about
> >features to have in XWiki in priority:
> >http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2009
> >(results at:
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/FeatureStatus20120119
> >)
> >http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2012
> >(results at:
> >http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/FeatureSurveyResult201204
> >)
> >
> >I thought it would be nice to launch a similar survey in 2013 in order
> >to give the project some information to prepare the XWiki 6.x roadmap.
> >The survey is available at:
> >http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/SurveyXWikiFeatures2013
> >
> >It would be great if you could help by filling in the survey by January
> 31.
> >The results will be published on xwiki.org and shared
> >with the XWiki committers list at the beginning of February.
> >
> >Thank you,
> >Silvia
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Dmitry

Re: FS Attachments (was Re: XWiki Features survey for the 6.x cycle)

Paul Libbrecht-2
Vincent,

I think the two use cases are different.

Synchronizing selected parts of a wiki, including (fat) attachments is a normal part of a staging and deployment process, and can also be part of an editorial workflow.
In all these cases, the shared attachments mount-point does not help (since it only works for wikis that share the complete the set of pages, which is never the case between a development, staging, and production platform).

paul

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 20 Dec 2013 at 04:15:50, Dmitry Bakbardin ([hidden email](mailto://[hidden email])) wrote:
>
>> Hi, Silvia!
>>
>> I'd add one more feature:
>>
>> Make Filesytem storage ready for production.
>
> On this topic:
> * You mean for attachments only, right?
> * What is missing in your opinion for it to be production-ready? (If you could list the JIRA issues that would be great)
>
>> Hope, I'm not alone :-)
>
> No you’re not alone.
>
> We need to make FS attachments the default ASAP I believe (even though it increases the complexity of exporting content). BTW @thomas, does your new wikistream export take into account FS attachments yet? We might want/need to support that in our XAR export/import to make it transparent to the user where the attachments are stored.

You are mixing two things, whatever the kind of attachment they will
end up in any XAR package you export. You don't get attachment only
when you back the database.