XWiki Logo Challenge

12

Re: XWiki Logo Challenge

Denis Gervalle-2
My favorite is 15.

* nice work done for 15 but i find the logo too similar to Atlassian
> logo (any basic human based logo would look too Atlassiannish to me i
> think)

I strongly disagree that just because it represent a people, it is Atlassian
like, they do not hold the exclusivity of people logos.
Atlasian logo is like a weight-lifter that lift the world, very straight on
its foot. Nothing to do with a happy jumping man, using really curved shape
at all !

XWiki is about peoples sharing information and compare to most other logo,
15 is one that have the most interesting evocation.
Without dash, in red or another color, avoiding blue (even if I like it) and
probably using a more curved font to improve, if needed, the clear
difference it have with the Atlassian logo.
I would be curious to see what Vishal could propose with some more work.

19 would be my second choice, since it is curved, and even nice straight
logo like 7, 8 or 16 evoke to me some inflexibility or technicality, which
is frightening.

12 could be interesting as a continuation on the initial theme, but it would
be less distinctive with XWiki.com, probably a nice evolution for them not
for the open-source one.

1, 2 and 13 are not scaling. 17 is nice, but not scaling and evocation is
inappropriate. Appart for not being easy to scale, I feel 4 is not readable
for newcomers, using only 2 pencils, could probably helps there.

Many thanks to all designers anyway for their proposal and please do not
feel hurt by my remarks that I really hope to be constructive.

Denis

Re: XWiki Logo Challenge

Emilie Ogez
My favorite is also 15.

Denis Gervalle a écrit :

> My favorite is 15.
>
> * nice work done for 15 but i find the logo too similar to Atlassian
>
>> logo (any basic human based logo would look too Atlassiannish to me i
>> think)
>>

> I strongly disagree that just because it represent a people, it is Atlassian
> like, they do not hold the exclusivity of people logos.
> Atlasian logo is like a weight-lifter that lift the world, very straight on
> its foot. Nothing to do with a happy jumping man, using really curved shape
> at all !
>
> XWiki is about peoples sharing information and compare to most other logo,
> 15 is one that have the most interesting evocation.
> Without dash, in red or another color, avoiding blue (even if I like it) and
> probably using a more curved font to improve, if needed, the clear
> difference it have with the Atlassian logo.
> I would be curious to see what Vishal could propose with some more work.
>
> 19 would be my second choice, since it is curved, and even nice straight
> logo like 7, 8 or 16 evoke to me some inflexibility or technicality, which
> is frightening.
>
> 12 could be interesting as a continuation on the initial theme, but it would
> be less distinctive with XWiki.com, probably a nice evolution for them not
> for the open-source one.
>
> 1, 2 and 13 are not scaling. 17 is nice, but not scaling and evocation is
> inappropriate. Appart for not being easy to scale, I feel 4 is not readable
> for newcomers, using only 2 pencils, could probably helps there.
>
> Many thanks to all designers anyway for their proposal and please do not
> feel hurt by my remarks that I really hope to be constructive.
>
> Denis

Re: XWiki Logo Challenge

Silvia Rusu

+1 for 12A
Silvia Rusu
Tester & Documentation Writer - XWiki
http://twitter.com/silviarusu

Re: [xwiki-devs] XWiki Logo Challenge

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi XWikiers,

I like 12B and 12E.

I like 15, which to me is probably the most distinctive of all the logos
presented. I also like the fact that one can read a X, a W, a i and a K in
that little guy's shape :-) I think the "-" should be removed between the
"X" and "Wiki" and that the case should be switched from "X-WIKI" to "XWiki"
but that's minor. In short, probably my favorite one.

I have an issue with 16 -> I showed it to a couple friends and they were
unable to read it as "XWiki". I kinda like it but I already know it's
supposed to mean "XWiki" but I'm afraid it's not readable enough for other
people.

I also like 19 (the two-colors version, not the 3D shaped one). I also
happened to see a version of 19 with a font that made it look nicer -> JV,
do you think that version could be added to the page?

Guillaume

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Emilie Ogez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My favorite is also 15.
>

> Denis Gervalle a écrit :
> > My favorite is 15.
> >
> > * nice work done for 15 but i find the logo too similar to Atlassian
> >
> >> logo (any basic human based logo would look too Atlassiannish to me i
> >> think)
> >>

> > I strongly disagree that just because it represent a people, it is
> Atlassian
> > like, they do not hold the exclusivity of people logos.
> > Atlasian logo is like a weight-lifter that lift the world, very straight
> on
> > its foot. Nothing to do with a happy jumping man, using really curved
> shape
> > at all !
> >
> > XWiki is about peoples sharing information and compare to most other
> logo,
> > 15 is one that have the most interesting evocation.
> > Without dash, in red or another color, avoiding blue (even if I like it)
> and
> > probably using a more curved font to improve, if needed, the clear
> > difference it have with the Atlassian logo.
> > I would be curious to see what Vishal could propose with some more work.
> >
> > 19 would be my second choice, since it is curved, and even nice straight
> > logo like 7, 8 or 16 evoke to me some inflexibility or technicality,
> which
> > is frightening.
> >
> > 12 could be interesting as a continuation on the initial theme, but it
> would
> > be less distinctive with XWiki.com, probably a nice evolution for them
> not
> > for the open-source one.
> >
> > 1, 2 and 13 are not scaling. 17 is nice, but not scaling and evocation is
> > inappropriate. Appart for not being easy to scale, I feel 4 is not
> readable
> > for newcomers, using only 2 pencils, could probably helps there.
> >
> > Many thanks to all designers anyway for their proposal and please do not
> > feel hurt by my remarks that I really hope to be constructive.
> >
> > Denis

Guillaume Lerouge
Product Manager - XWiki SAS
Skype: wikibc
Twitter: glerouge
http://guillaumelerouge.com/

Re: [xwiki-devs] XWiki Logo Challenge

Marius Dumitru Florea
Hi Guillaume,

Guillaume Lerouge wrote:

> Hi XWikiers,
>
> I like 12B and 12E.
>
> I like 15, which to me is probably the most distinctive of all the logos
> presented. I also like the fact that one can read a X, a W, a i and a K in
> that little guy's shape :-) I think the "-" should be removed between the
> "X" and "Wiki" and that the case should be switched from "X-WIKI" to "XWiki"
> but that's minor. In short, probably my favorite one.
>

> I have an issue with 16 -> I showed it to a couple friends and they were
> unable to read it as "XWiki". I kinda like it but I already know it's
> supposed to mean "XWiki" but I'm afraid it's not readable enough for other
> people.

I agree that the way XWiki is written in 16 doesn't make it easy to be
read, but to me that isn't the logo. The logo IMO is what follows the
hard-to-read text. The text just shows how the logo was extracted. At
least that's how I see it.

> I also like 19 (the two-colors version, not the 3D shaped one). I also
> happened to see a version of 19 with a font that made it look nicer -> JV,
> do you think that version could be added to the page?
>
> Guillaume
>
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Emilie Ogez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> My favorite is also 15.
>>

>> Denis Gervalle a écrit :
>>> My favorite is 15.
>>>
>>> * nice work done for 15 but i find the logo too similar to Atlassian

>>> I strongly disagree that just because it represent a people, it is
>> Atlassian
>>> like, they do not hold the exclusivity of people logos.
>>> Atlasian logo is like a weight-lifter that lift the world, very straight
>> on
>>> its foot. Nothing to do with a happy jumping man, using really curved
>> shape
>>> at all !
>>>
>>> XWiki is about peoples sharing information and compare to most other
>> logo,
>>> 15 is one that have the most interesting evocation.
>>> Without dash, in red or another color, avoiding blue (even if I like it)
>> and
>>> probably using a more curved font to improve, if needed, the clear
>>> difference it have with the Atlassian logo.
>>> I would be curious to see what Vishal could propose with some more work.
>>>
>>> 19 would be my second choice, since it is curved, and even nice straight
>>> logo like 7, 8 or 16 evoke to me some inflexibility or technicality,
>> which
>>> is frightening.
>>>
>>> 12 could be interesting as a continuation on the initial theme, but it
>> would
>>> be less distinctive with XWiki.com, probably a nice evolution for them
>> not
>>> for the open-source one.
>>>
>>> 1, 2 and 13 are not scaling. 17 is nice, but not scaling and evocation is
>>> inappropriate. Appart for not being easy to scale, I feel 4 is not
>> readable
>>> for newcomers, using only 2 pencils, could probably helps there.
>>>
>>> Many thanks to all designers anyway for their proposal and please do not
>>> feel hurt by my remarks that I really hope to be constructive.
>>>
>>> Denis

Re: [xwiki-devs] XWiki Logo Challenge

Alex Busenius
I like 12E and 16A

On 03/26/2010 12:17 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> Hi Community,
>
> The XWiki Logo proposal period is now closed, many thanks to everyone
> who participated. It is now the time to vote the new logo amongst the 19
> proposals available here:
>
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/Community/LogoChallenge#HProposals
>
> You can send your vote:
> - on the mailing list, by replying to this e-mail
> - on twitter, in the format: #xwikilogo <proposal_number>
>
> Don't hesitate to nominate several proposals if you feel that they are
> really close and you cannot decide for just one. Sometimes, a bunch of
> fuzzy opinions can lead to a more accurate result.
>
> IMPORTANT:
> Before choosing a logo based on your personal preference, please try to
> also ask yourself the following questions:
> - Is it distinctive?
> - Is it easy to remember and recognize?
> - Is the design scalable? Could it (or parts of it) be successfully used
> in a 16X16 icon? Would it look good on a very large poster?
> - Can it be used (as it is, or adapted) on both light and dark backgrounds?
> - What would it look like in black and white (not just grayscale)? It's
> ok if some details are lost, but it needs to still look attractive and
> keep the main features.
>
> Motivating your vote also helps better understand what qualities a logo
> evokes in people's minds.
>
> Also note that the designs are not final, the selected proposal will be
> further tweaked and perfected, so don't discard a logo just for minor flaws.
>
> If several proposals come close to being selected, we could organize a
> second round of voting.
>
> Please send us your votes before March 31st.
>

> On 03/01/2010 05:57 PM, Jean-Vincent Drean wrote:
>> Hi XWikiers!
>>
>> It's time to inject new blood in XWiki.org. While discussing about
>> improving its look&  feel we thought it would be a good time to create
>> a new logo for XWiki.org as it's an important part of a website
>> design.
>> We borrowed the current logo from XWiki.com some time ago and, in
>> order to keep the distinction between the company and the Open-Source
>> project clear, we think XWiki.org websites and projects need their own
>> logo.
>>
>> As you may know, we love proposals, that's why we'd like to make the
>> logo design an open challenge, anyone interested can join and a vote
>> amongst the community will determine the winner. Even if the main
>> purpose of the challenge is to have fun, the person whose design gets
>> selected will receive XWiki goodies, including his logo printed on a
>> t-shirt obviously :) The designer of the selected logo will enter the
>> Hall Of Fame, and last but not least reward : the design will be
>> spread wide (XWiki Enterprise is more than 10000 downloads/month and
>> XWiki.org web site more than 50000 visits a month).
>>
>> The challenge takes place there:
>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/LogoChallenge

Re: XWiki Logo Challenge

FYI, the current vote results are available at
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ah6DqXzfHT2vdHV5Ty1LX3lKU3U5V3M4YmNFSXEzcVE&hl=en
and it looks like there is no clear winner. At the moment it seems
that we'll have a second round with 4, 12, 15 and 16 (and maybe 19).

In the spreadsheet I converted non-numerical votes to what I felt was
the intent of the voter, please correct if my assumptions were wrong.

Only two days left for the first round of votes.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [xwiki-devs] XWiki Logo Challenge

Marius Dumitru Florea
Hi Sergiu,

Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:
> FYI, the current vote results are available at
> http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ah6DqXzfHT2vdHV5Ty1LX3lKU3U5V3M4YmNFSXEzcVE&hl=en
> and it looks like there is no clear winner. At the moment it seems
> that we'll have a second round with 4, 12, 15 and 16 (and maybe 19).
>
> In the spreadsheet I converted non-numerical votes to what I felt was
> the intent of the voter, please correct if my assumptions were wrong.

There are two columns with no label, I and N. What is their meaning?
Also in my case the points don't sum to 1. Is it right? I added the
remaining 0.1 to 16B.

> [...]
>>> We borrowed the current logo from XWiki.com some time ago and, in
>>> order to keep the distinction between the company and the Open-Source
>>> project clear, we think XWiki.org websites and projects need their own
>>> logo.
>>>
>>> As you may know, we love proposals, that's why we'd like to make the
>>> logo design an open challenge, anyone interested can join and a vote
>>> amongst the community will determine the winner. Even if the main
>>> purpose of the challenge is to have fun, the person whose design gets
>>> selected will receive XWiki goodies, including his logo printed on a
>>> t-shirt obviously :) The designer of the selected logo will enter the
>>> Hall Of Fame, and last but not least reward : the design will be
>>> spread wide (XWiki Enterprise is more than 10000 downloads/month and
>>> XWiki.org web site more than 50000 visits a month).

raphaelle
Hi,

I vote for 4C, I think it's clear, attractive and you can read in the logo the idea of XWiki: collaborative application.

Raphaelle

Re: [xwiki-devs] XWiki Logo Challenge

Jerome Velociter
I vote for +0.9 for 16B and +0.1 for 4A

I feel 16B catches the spirit of XWiki.org quite good -
http://twitter.com/jvelo/status/11142009451

Jerome.

On 03/30/2010 07:22 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:

> Hi Sergiu,
>
> Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:
>> FYI, the current vote results are available at
>> http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ah6DqXzfHT2vdHV5Ty1LX3lKU3U5V3M4YmNFSXEzcVE&hl=en
>> and it looks like there is no clear winner. At the moment it seems
>> that we'll have a second round with 4, 12, 15 and 16 (and maybe 19).
>>
>> In the spreadsheet I converted non-numerical votes to what I felt was
>> the intent of the voter, please correct if my assumptions were wrong.
>
> There are two columns with no label, I and N. What is their meaning?

Those are hidden columns used for computing the group votes. You
happened to look when somebody else was trying to look at them, too.

People, please don't alter the table in general, I left it open so that
voters can alter their vote weights.

> Also in my case the points don't sum to 1. Is it right? I added the
> remaining 0.1 to 16B.

My bad.

> Thanks,
> Marius
>

>> Only two days left for the first round of votes.
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 13:17, Sergiu Dumitriu<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi Community,
>>>
>>> The XWiki Logo proposal period is now closed, many thanks to everyone who
>>> participated. It is now the time to vote the new logo amongst the 19
>>> proposals available here:
>>>
>>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/Community/LogoChallenge#HProposals
>>>
>>> You can send your vote:
>>> - on the mailing list, by replying to this e-mail
>>> - on twitter, in the format: #xwikilogo<proposal_number>
>>>
>>> Don't hesitate to nominate several proposals if you feel that they are
>>> really close and you cannot decide for just one. Sometimes, a bunch of fuzzy
>>> opinions can lead to a more accurate result.
>>>
>>> IMPORTANT:
>>> Before choosing a logo based on your personal preference, please try to also
>>> ask yourself the following questions:
>>> - Is it distinctive?
>>> - Is it easy to remember and recognize?
>>> - Is the design scalable? Could it (or parts of it) be successfully used in
>>> a 16X16 icon? Would it look good on a very large poster?
>>> - Can it be used (as it is, or adapted) on both light and dark backgrounds?
>>> - What would it look like in black and white (not just grayscale)? It's ok
>>> if some details are lost, but it needs to still look attractive and keep the
>>> main features.
>>>
>>> Motivating your vote also helps better understand what qualities a logo
>>> evokes in people's minds.
>>>
>>> Also note that the designs are not final, the selected proposal will be
>>> further tweaked and perfected, so don't discard a logo just for minor flaws.
>>>
>>> If several proposals come close to being selected, we could organize a
>>> second round of voting.
>>>
>>> Please send us your votes before March 31st.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [xwiki-devs] XWiki Logo Challenge

Peter McLarty
I am voting  as follows
proposal 15 gets .6
 and proposal 16  gets .4

Peter

On 30/03/2010, at 9:37 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> On 03/30/2010 07:22 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:
>> Hi Sergiu,
>>
>> Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:
>>> FYI, the current vote results are available at
>>> http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ah6DqXzfHT2vdHV5Ty1LX3lKU3U5V3M4YmNFSXEzcVE&hl=en
>>> and it looks like there is no clear winner. At the moment it seems
>>> that we'll have a second round with 4, 12, 15 and 16 (and maybe 19).
>>>
>>> In the spreadsheet I converted non-numerical votes to what I felt was
>>> the intent of the voter, please correct if my assumptions were wrong.
>>
>> There are two columns with no label, I and N. What is their meaning?
>
> Those are hidden columns used for computing the group votes. You
> happened to look when somebody else was trying to look at them, too.
>
> People, please don't alter the table in general, I left it open so that
> voters can alter their vote weights.
>
>> Also in my case the points don't sum to 1. Is it right? I added the
>> remaining 0.1 to 16B.
>
> My bad.
>
>> Thanks,
>> Marius

> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [xwiki-devs] XWiki Logo Challenge

lucaa
Hi all,

It is very hard to choose (and by this all participants should understand that
all proposals are noteworthy). I also took into account following criteria: can
I draw it with a pencil on a paper in a single color and it would still be
recognized?

As a result my votes and comments go like this:

4 0.2   -- either B, or A with thicker pencils so that the X is more obvious
5 0.1   -- I like the way it looks but I don't see that much of a wiki reference
+ it's not drawable
12E 0.1 -- it's nice, close / far enough of the old logo, but it looses in
drawability and single color
16 0.2 (with a little more for B, maybe) -- there could be a color issue but the
shape would make it recognizable easily
20 0.2  -- I like the way it blends together and it is pretty recognizable
8 0.1   -- I like the wheels a lot, they're very much "app platform, geek"-ish
6B 0.1  -- I like the idea but it really needs different colors and more polish,
right now it looks a bit flashy and raw

I also liked the looks of proposals 2, both A and B, but they're not very much
drawable and the X is not very obvious + I couldn't find why arrows would be
representative for xwiki...

Note that although 15 meets pretty well the criteria above, it still looks to me
too much around the atlassian logo (yeah, any human shape would do it)... + I'm
more fond of geometric shapes, I think...

Thanks,
Anca