XWiki forms with database select fields

Pierre CARLIER

hello everybody !

I'd like to design a form with one database select field.
The xwiki standard distribution provides a good basic example with the Category field within the XWiki.ArticleClass.

But some additional information could be helpful :
- a relational map of all the database tables involved in this application
- the names and descriptions of Hibernate objects corresponding to the database objects so that I can fully undestand queries like this one :

select prop.value from BaseObject as obj, StringProperty as prop where obj.className='Blog.Categories' and prop.id.id = obj.id and prop.id.name='name'
(standard hibernate query for the category field)

- for my current project, I intend to automatically feed this table with data updated in another database by another application software (CRM in that case). So it's crucial to know with precision what XWiki requires when managing "database select fields". Do you know about some existing developments like this one ?

Thank you by advance for any information you could send to me ...

Pierre Carlier

Re: XWiki forms with database select fields

Pierre CARLIER a écrit :

> hello everybody !
>
> I'd like to design a form with one database select field.
> The xwiki standard distribution provides a good basic example with the
> Category field within the XWiki.ArticleClass.
>
> But some additional information could be helpful :
> - a relational map of all the database tables involved in this
> application
You'll find some documentation here
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/Database+Schema

> - the names and descriptions of Hibernate objects corresponding to the
> database objects so that I can fully undestand queries like this one :
>
> select prop.value from BaseObject as obj, StringProperty as prop where
> obj.className='Blog.Categories' and prop.id.id = obj.id and
> prop.id.name='name'
> (standard hibernate query for the category field)

Currently the best way to understand this is to take the xwiki.hbm.xml
file (in SVN) and use the hibernate documentation to work on the queries.

> - for my current project, I intend to automatically feed this table
> with data updated in another database by another application software
> (CRM in that case). So it's crucial to know with precision what XWiki
> requires when managing "database select fields". Do you know about
> some existing developments like this one ?
It is not such a good idea to feed directly the database. It is better
to use the java API to create XWiki objects and save them in the
database. This would be more backwards compatible with future changes in
XWiki. Also it is better to have this run in the XWiki environnement
because it would update the cache (otherwise you need to make a flush
cache in XWiki after database updates).

Ludovic