XWiki on docker and docker hub

I've made a pull request to Fabio's dockerfile to update it to 8.4.1.

https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/docker-xwiki/pull/2

In the process I made quite some changes:

   - Support for XWiki 8.4.1 and Java 8 (needed debian jessie-backports)
   - Added libreoffice server
   - Added xinit to manage xwiki instance
   - Added webapps/ROOT/index.html to redirect to XWiki page from root URL
   - Persistence handled in a data container
   - Added quickRun.sh for one click build and run

I think it would be good for the xwiki community to have an officiel
Dockerfile and to publish it on docker hub for people to find an "official"
XWiki available for the latest version.

The approach in this Dockerfile might not be perfect but it's an acceptable
one I think.

I would like to change the distributionId for this instance. Once the xwiki
war is deployed, what needs to be changed to change the distributionId ?

*Ludovic Dubost*
*Founder and CEO*
[hidden email]
skype: ldubost
Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org
<https://r.clb.pt/r/08c3c9b2cf61b703f121baebe7511ede?d=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.ludovic.org>

Re: XWiki on docker and docker hub

Hi Ludo,

> On 27 Nov 2016, at 20:04, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've made a pull request to Fabio's dockerfile to update it to 8.4.1.
>
> https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/docker-xwiki/pull/2
>
> In the process I made quite some changes:
>

>   - Support for XWiki 8.4.1 and Java 8 (needed debian jessie-backports)
>   - Added libreoffice server
>   - Added xinit to manage xwiki instance
>   - Added webapps/ROOT/index.html to redirect to XWiki page from root URL
>   - Persistence handled in a data container
>   - Added quickRun.sh for one click build and run

Sounds cool.

> I think it would be good for the xwiki community to have an officiel
> Dockerfile and to publish it on docker hub for people to find an "official"
> XWiki available for the latest version.

Yes that was also my goal when I worked on this some time ago but I didn’t get to finish the work to be good enough.

> The approach in this Dockerfile might not be perfect but it's an acceptable
> one I think.

Haven’t checked your solution but the one I used is using docker-compose (see below).

> I would like to change the distributionId for this instance. Once the xwiki
> war is deployed, what needs to be changed to change the distributionId ?

I’ve also worked on version 2 of what Fabio started (I had discussed with Fabio about the approach). See https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/docker-xwiki/tree/VERSION2

Now, it would be great to merge the approaches :)

> Ludovic
>
> --
> *Ludovic Dubost*
> *Founder and CEO*
> [hidden email]
> skype: ldubost
> Blog: http://blog.ludovic.org
> <https://r.clb.pt/r/08c3c9b2cf61b703f121baebe7511ede?d=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.ludovic.org>

Re: XWiki on docker and docker hub

Ludovic Dubost
On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 8:13 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ludo,
>
> > On 27 Nov 2016, at 20:04, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've made a pull request to Fabio's dockerfile to update it to 8.4.1.
> >
> > https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/docker-xwiki/pull/2
> <https://r.clb.pt/r/edf64fd550214451bff5493a8f8a2121?d=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fxwiki-contrib%2Fdocker-xwiki%2Fpull%2F2>
> >
> > In the process I made quite some changes:
> >

> >   - Support for XWiki 8.4.1 and Java 8 (needed debian jessie-backports)
> >   - Added libreoffice server
> >   - Added xinit to manage xwiki instance
> >   - Added webapps/ROOT/index.html to redirect to XWiki page from root URL
> >   - Persistence handled in a data container
> >   - Added quickRun.sh for one click build and run
>
> Sounds cool.
>
> > I think it would be good for the xwiki community to have an officiel
> > Dockerfile and to publish it on docker hub for people to find an
> "official"
> > XWiki available for the latest version.
>
> Yes that was also my goal when I worked on this some time ago but I didn’t
> get to finish the work to be good enough.
>
> > The approach in this Dockerfile might not be perfect but it's an
> acceptable
> > one I think.
>
> Haven’t checked your solution but the one I used is using docker-compose
> (see below).
>
> > I would like to change the distributionId for this instance. Once the
> xwiki
> > war is deployed, what needs to be changed to change the distributionId ?

I've added a command to change the distributionId to xwiki-enterprise-docker

> I’ve also worked on version 2 of what Fabio started (I had discussed with
> Fabio about the approach). See https://github.com/xwiki-
> contrib/docker-xwiki/tree/VERSION2
> <https://r.clb.pt/r/edf64fd550214451bff5493a8f8a2121?d=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fxwiki-contrib%2Fdocker-xwiki%2Ftree%2FVERSION2>

Too bad I did not see the branch with jessie and jdk8.

> Now, it would be great to merge the approaches :)

I looked at the multiple container approach separating mysql, but in the
end I find that it's complicated as it generates multiple containers that
are not really useful. In the end I prefered to keep everything in one
container especially since giving a persistence strategy was complicated
enough. This part does not seem to be handled in your docker compose build.
For that part I used a data-container approach which persists the data in a
container named xwiki-data created by a first command ion the quickRun.sh
file.

One thing that I added was this file, because I found that it was not easy
to know what docker commands to run to make it work well. With the
quickRun.sh file you know what you have to run to get a running XWiki.

If you ask me, I would verify this dockerfile runs on Windows and Linux and
if so, publish it on docker hub to make us visible.

There are many many docker builds out there from different people. It's
hard to know which one works and which one is up to date. It would be
really good to have an "official one" which is always up-to-date to the
latest XWiki version.