XWiki task organisation

jeremi joslin-2
Hi,
I will try to do my best to help Ludovic to lead the project because
he is very busy.

I've started to review Jira tasks to find what we need to fix before
the release.

1. I propose to split in Jira the XWiki project in 2 or 3 projects:
* XWiki core (which is written in java) and the minimum UI (When you
run XWiki with a blank DB)
* XWiki plugins (also written in java, for exemple: feed plugin, mail
plugin ...)
* XWiki applications (in script language like groovy or velocity, for
example:  blog, photo album, wysiwyg...)
the last too can be one because some applications can have a plugin
like the feed plugin which have also an application.

Like this, we can release the core without all the application and
vice versa. Because many of you don't need the applications.

2. For next iterations before the release :
- 1.0 B1
- 1.0 B2
- 1.0 RC1
- 1.0 RC2
- 1.0

3. I will do a summary in few days of the work to do before the
release and propose you a road map.

What do you think about it? I think, we can use the apache voting
system (for those who don't know it:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html)

Jérémi
--
Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724

Re: XWiki task organisation

Hans Gerwitz
+1 to all

I think plugins and applications will not only be intertwined, but
that the distinction is lost on nontechnical users.  I recommend
considering plugins a component of applications.
- - -
Hans Gerwitz
http://phobia.com/

On Jan 11, 2006, at 6:44 AM, jeremi joslin wrote:

> Hi,
> I will try to do my best to help Ludovic to lead the project because
> he is very busy.
>
> I've started to review Jira tasks to find what we need to fix before
> the release.
>
> 1. I propose to split in Jira the XWiki project in 2 or 3 projects:
> * XWiki core (which is written in java) and the minimum UI (When you
> run XWiki with a blank DB)
> * XWiki plugins (also written in java, for exemple: feed plugin, mail
> plugin ...)
> * XWiki applications (in script language like groovy or velocity, for
> example:  blog, photo album, wysiwyg...)
> the last too can be one because some applications can have a plugin
> like the feed plugin which have also an application.
>
> Like this, we can release the core without all the application and
> vice versa. Because many of you don't need the applications.
>

> 2. For next iterations before the release :
> - 1.0 B1
> - 1.0 B2
> - 1.0 RC1
> - 1.0 RC2
> - 1.0
>
> 3. I will do a summary in few days of the work to do before the
> release and propose you a road map.
>
> What do you think about it? I think, we can use the apache voting
> system (for those who don't know it:
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html)
>
> Jérémi
> --
> Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
> http://www.xwiki.org
> skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]
>

> --
> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-
> wws

Re: XWiki task organisation

Ludovic Dubost

I agree too.. Too much spliting won't be clear..
WYSIWYG isn't an application from my stand point. It's part of the core
product release.

I've create a filter for 1.0 Beta 1
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10060

I suggest all members of this list add tasks to this list that they WANT
to see in the next release.
Remember we want this release out the door quickly, so don't put
features that we don't NEED right away !

This release should focus on:

- the WYSIWYG Editor
- simplicity
- major bugs
- installer

Ludovic

Hans Gerwitz a écrit :

> +1 to all
>
> I think plugins and applications will not only be intertwined, but
> that the distinction is lost on nontechnical users.  I recommend
> considering plugins a component of applications.
> - - -
> Hans Gerwitz
> http://phobia.com/
>

> On Jan 11, 2006, at 6:44 AM, jeremi joslin wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I will try to do my best to help Ludovic to lead the project because
>> he is very busy.
>>
>> I've started to review Jira tasks to find what we need to fix before
>> the release.
>>
>> 1. I propose to split in Jira the XWiki project in 2 or 3 projects:
>> * XWiki core (which is written in java) and the minimum UI (When you
>> run XWiki with a blank DB)
>> * XWiki plugins (also written in java, for exemple: feed plugin, mail
>> plugin ...)
>> * XWiki applications (in script language like groovy or velocity, for
>> example:  blog, photo album, wysiwyg...)
>> the last too can be one because some applications can have a plugin
>> like the feed plugin which have also an application.
>>
>> Like this, we can release the core without all the application and
>> vice versa. Because many of you don't need the applications.
>>

>> 2. For next iterations before the release :
>> - 1.0 B1
>> - 1.0 B2
>> - 1.0 RC1
>> - 1.0 RC2
>> - 1.0
>>
>> 3. I will do a summary in few days of the work to do before the
>> release and propose you a road map.
>>
>> What do you think about it? I think, we can use the apache voting
>> system (for those who don't know it:
>> http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html)
>>
>> Jérémi
>> --
>> Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
>> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
>> http://www.xwiki.org
>> skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]
>>

>> --
>> You receive this message as a subscriber of the

Re: XWiki task organisation

jeremi joslin-2
Ludovic,
I just think the WYSIWYG is an application because some of us will
don't use it and it's not necessary for running XWiki. It's usefull
but not necessary.
But it can be view to carry out the editing function which is a basic
function of the wiki so it can be considered as a full member of the
core.

Jeremi
On 1/11/06, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> What do you think about it? I think, we can use the apache voting
> >> system (for those who don't know it:
> >> http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html)
> >>
> >> Jérémi
> >> --
> >> Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
> >> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
> >> http://www.xwiki.org
> >> skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]
> >>

> >> --
> >> You receive this message as a subscriber of the

> Ludovic Dubost
> XPertNet: http://www.xpertnet.fr/
> Blog: http://www.ludovic.org/blog/
> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
> Skype: ldubost AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic

Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
http://www.xwiki.org
skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]

I agree that WYSIWYG should be considered an app/plugin if at all
possible.  There are many options out there and an advocate of a
different one should be able to offer theirs as an alternative.

It is a critical one, though, for adoption.  And perhaps in-place
sectional editing will someday make it impossible to abstract the
tool away; but I don't think that's true, yet.
- - -
Hans Gerwitz
http://phobia.com/

On Jan 11, 2006, at 10:04 AM, jeremi joslin wrote:

> Ludovic,
> I just think the WYSIWYG is an application because some of us will
> don't use it and it's not necessary for running XWiki. It's usefull
> but not necessary.
> But it can be view to carry out the editing function which is a basic
> function of the wiki so it can be considered as a full member of the
> core.
>
> Jeremi
> On 1/11/06, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I agree too.. Too much spliting won't be clear..
>> WYSIWYG isn't an application from my stand point. It's part of the
>> core
>> product release.
>>
>> I've create a filter for 1.0 Beta 1
>> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
>> mode=hide&requestId=10060
>>
>> I suggest all members of this list add tasks to this list that
>> they WANT
>> to see in the next release.
>> Remember we want this release out the door quickly, so don't put
>> features that we don't NEED right away !
>>
>> This release should focus on:
>>
>> - the WYSIWYG Editor
>> - simplicity
>> - major bugs
>> - installer
>>
>> Ludovic
>>
>> Hans Gerwitz a écrit :
>>> +1 to all
>>>
>>> I think plugins and applications will not only be intertwined, but
>>> that the distinction is lost on nontechnical users.  I recommend
>>> considering plugins a component of applications.
>>> - - -
>>> Hans Gerwitz
>>> http://phobia.com/

>> Ludovic Dubost
>> XPertNet: http://www.xpertnet.fr/
>> Blog: http://www.ludovic.org/blog/
>> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
>> Skype: ldubost AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic
>>

>> --
>> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-

> Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
> http://www.xwiki.org
> skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]
>

> --
> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-
> wws

Auto document creation

Youcef Bey
Hi all,

Are there are a possibility de create automatically document by Groovy or
Velocity. In fact, I have several document and it will be preferable to
inject these documents by program.

I tried to find in the Xwiki API methods that allow to create documents, but
it seems not existing. This means that each document should be created
manually?

Any help will be appreciated.

 Best regards,

Re: Auto document creation

To do this you need to access the priviledged API by using groovy (it's
easier)

xwiki2 = xwiki.xWiki
context2 = context.context
doc2 = new XWikiDocument()
doc.setContent(..)
doc.setFullName(..)
xwiki2.saveDocument(doc, context2)

Ludovic

Youcef BEY a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> Are there are a possibility de create automatically document by Groovy or
> Velocity. In fact, I have several document and it will be preferable to
> inject these documents by program.
>
> I tried to find in the Xwiki API methods that allow to create documents, but
> it seems not existing. This means that each document should be created
> manually?
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
>  Best regards,
> -------------
> Youcef

Re: XWiki task organisation

Ok agreed but that's going to be a good test of componentization.. The
WYSIWYG editor has several hooks:

1/ Edit menu links, Question mark link
2/ XWiki and user Preferences
3/ Forms code
4/ Forms prefs
5/ static code in webapp directory

We can make it separate in JIRA, but I think compenentizing should be a
1.1 or 2.0 task after the maven migration

Ludovic

Hans Gerwitz a écrit :

> I agree that WYSIWYG should be considered an app/plugin if at all
> possible.  There are many options out there and an advocate of a
> different one should be able to offer theirs as an alternative.
>
> It is a critical one, though, for adoption.  And perhaps in-place
> sectional editing will someday make it impossible to abstract the tool
> away; but I don't think that's true, yet.
> - - -
> Hans Gerwitz
> http://phobia.com/
>

> On Jan 11, 2006, at 10:04 AM, jeremi joslin wrote:
>
>> Ludovic,
>> I just think the WYSIWYG is an application because some of us will
>> don't use it and it's not necessary for running XWiki. It's usefull
>> but not necessary.
>> But it can be view to carry out the editing function which is a basic
>> function of the wiki so it can be considered as a full member of the
>> core.
>>
>> Jeremi
>> On 1/11/06, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree too.. Too much spliting won't be clear..
>>> WYSIWYG isn't an application from my stand point. It's part of the core
>>> product release.
>>>
>>> I've create a filter for 1.0 Beta 1
>>> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10060
>>>

>>> I suggest all members of this list add tasks to this list that they
>>> WANT
>>> to see in the next release.
>>> Remember we want this release out the door quickly, so don't put
>>> features that we don't NEED right away !
>>>
>>> This release should focus on:
>>>
>>> - the WYSIWYG Editor
>>> - simplicity
>>> - major bugs
>>> - installer
>>>
>>> Ludovic

>>> --
>>> Ludovic Dubost
>>> XPertNet: http://www.xpertnet.fr/
>>> Blog: http://www.ludovic.org/blog/
>>> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
>>> Skype: ldubost AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic
>>>

>>> --
>>> You receive this message as a subscriber of the

>> Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
>> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
>> http://www.xwiki.org
>> skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]
>>

>> --
>> You receive this message as a subscriber of the

Re: XWiki task organisation

jeremi joslin
Hi,
I have started to re-order tasks in Jira ( http://jira.xwiki.com ).
this is how I will do :

* Beta 1 (goal: Bug fix)
** what was working and is broken
** most of bugs
** DHTML editor

* Beta 2 (goal: new important task)
** proxy issues
** Revamping of the Rights Management XWiki-8
** Object mapping Issues like XWIKI-127
** Access to attachments version
** RSS generation

* RC 1 (goal:  stabilize)
** Bug Fix of beta 2 bugs
** Update the default database
** A real logo XWIKI-93

if necessary:
* RC 2 (goal:  stabilize)

* V 1.1
** improvements of diff

What do you think about this?

jeremi

--
Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
http://www.xwiki.org
skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]

Re: XWiki task organisation

Ludovic Dubost

Looks great..

I would add "new default skin and additional skins"  to Beta 1

Beta 2: usability features improving ease of use

Ludovic

jeremi joslin a écrit :

> Hi,
> I have started to re-order tasks in Jira ( http://jira.xwiki.com ).
> this is how I will do :
>
> * Beta 1 (goal: Bug fix)
> ** what was working and is broken
> ** most of bugs
> ** DHTML editor
>
> * Beta 2 (goal: new important task)
> ** proxy issues
> ** Revamping of the Rights Management XWiki-8
> ** Object mapping Issues like XWIKI-127
> ** Access to attachments version
> ** RSS generation
>
> * RC 1 (goal:  stabilize)
> ** Bug Fix of beta 2 bugs
> ** Update the default database
> ** A real logo XWIKI-93
>
> if necessary:
> * RC 2 (goal:  stabilize)
>

> * V 1.1
> ** improvements of diff
>

> What do you think about this?
>
> jeremi
>
> --
> Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
> http://www.xwiki.org
> skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]

Re: XWiki task organisation

Youcef Bey
Hi All,

I have two problems:

1. Why xwiki didn't manage well backslash?, a text edit containing a path of
a file can't be extracted well due to backslash.
2. I need to add some data for the description of document, then, I have
inserted  new field in the main table of the documents, but it seems that
xwiki can't retrieve data from this new filed? Should I recompile all xwiki
and generate a new package to manage a new field?