XWiki users edition

rrodriguezIDIS
Hi!

We do need to organize tasks concerning XWiki in our small group. We have not people expert enough in using XWiki as per trusting them by using Admin rights to edit XWiki users content.

Please, how could be trust edition rights to a small group of users to allow them edit information about users? Perhaps any way of trusting them access only to a given user?

Thanks!

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Research Management and Promotion Technician

Nota: A información contida nesta mensaxe e os seus posibles documentos adxuntos é privada e confidencial e está dirixida únicamente ó seu destinatario/a. Se vostede non é o/a destinatario/a orixinal desta mensaxe, por favor elimínea. A distribución ou copia desta mensaxe non está autorizada.

Nota: La información contenida en este mensaje y sus posibles documentos adjuntos es privada y confidencial y está dirigida únicamente a su destinatario/a. Si usted no es el/la destinatario/a original de este mensaje, por favor elimínelo. La distribución o copia de este mensaje no está autorizada.

See more languages: http://www.sergas.es/aviso_confidencialidad.htm
Ricardo Rodríguez
Research Management and Promotion Technician
Technical Secretariat
Health Research Institute of Santiago de Compostela (IDIS)
http://www.idisantiago.es

Re: XWiki users edition

Joris Dirks-2
Hi Ricardo,

It's not clear to me what your objective is.
Do you want open registration and only certain people to be able to
edit pages? Or do you want a group of users to edit user profiles? Or
give group A the right to add users to group A or group B?

This link is probably redundant:
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/RightsManagement

Joris

On 20 May 2012 01:47, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We do need to organize tasks concerning XWiki in our small group. We have not people expert enough in using XWiki as per trusting them by using Admin rights to edit XWiki users content.
>
> Please, how could be trust edition rights to a small group of users to allow them edit information about users? Perhaps any way of trusting them access only to a given user?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Ricardo Rodríguez
> Research Management and Promotion Technician
> Technical Secretariat
> Health Research Institute of Santiago de Compostela (IDIS)
> http://www.idisantiago.es
>
> Nota: A información contida nesta mensaxe e os seus posibles documentos adxuntos é privada e confidencial e está dirixida únicamente ó seu destinatario/a. Se vostede non é o/a destinatario/a orixinal desta mensaxe, por favor elimínea. A distribución ou copia desta mensaxe non está autorizada.
>
> Nota: La información contenida en este mensaje y sus posibles documentos adjuntos es privada y confidencial y está dirigida únicamente a su destinatario/a. Si usted no es el/la destinatario/a original de este mensaje, por favor elimínelo. La distribución o copia de este mensaje no está autorizada.
>
> See more languages: http://www.sergas.es/aviso_confidencialidad.htm

Re: XWiki users edition

rrodriguezIDIS
Hi Joris! Thanks for answering. Please, see below.

I would like to allow an user, or a group of users A, to edit users' profiles on a per users' group basis.

Thus given five users' groups, A, B, C, D, E, I would like to allow, for instance,...

1. User01 to edit all groups B, D and E members users' profiles .
2. B group members, to edit users' profiles of group A members.

I'm almost sure I'm missing something obvious, but to the best of my understanding rights management utility allows rights management on a per space and per page basis, but it is not obvious how to manage rights as I do need to.

Rights are trusted based on XWikiRights objects instances in each "page". If it is possible to manage access rights on spaces as a hole, or wikis in a farm, it is for sure possible to manage users on per group basis. But I'm afraid I don't know how.

Any help will be extremely welcome!

>> This link is probably redundant:
>> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/RightsManagement
>>
>> Joris

On 20 May 2012 01:47, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We do need to organize tasks concerning XWiki in our small group. We have not people expert enough in using XWiki as per trusting them by using Admin rights to edit XWiki users content.
>
> Please, how could be trust edition rights to a small group of users to allow them edit information about users? Perhaps any way of trusting them access only to a given user?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Ricardo Rodríguez
> Research Management and Promotion Technician
> Technical Secretariat
> Health Research Institute of Santiago de Compostela (IDIS)
> http://www.idisantiago.es
>
> Nota: A información contida nesta mensaxe e os seus posibles documentos adxuntos é privada e confidencial e está dirixida únicamente ó seu destinatario/a. Se vostede non é o/a destinatario/a orixinal desta mensaxe, por favor elimínea. A distribución ou copia desta mensaxe non está autorizada.
>
> Nota: La información contenida en este mensaje y sus posibles documentos adjuntos es privada y confidencial y está dirigida únicamente a su destinatario/a. Si usted no es el/la destinatario/a original de este mensaje, por favor elimínelo. La distribución o copia de este mensaje no está autorizada.
>
> See more languages: http://www.sergas.es/aviso_confidencialidad.htm

Nota: A información contida nesta mensaxe e os seus posibles documentos adxuntos é privada e confidencial e está dirixida únicamente ó seu destinatario/a. Se vostede non é o/a destinatario/a orixinal desta mensaxe, por favor elimínea. A distribución ou copia desta mensaxe non está autorizada.

Nota: La información contenida en este mensaje y sus posibles documentos adjuntos es privada y confidencial y está dirigida únicamente a su destinatario/a. Si usted no es el/la destinatario/a original de este mensaje, por favor elimínelo. La distribución o copia de este mensaje no está autorizada.

See more languages: http://www.sergas.es/aviso_confidencialidad.htm
Ricardo Rodríguez
Research Management and Promotion Technician
Technical Secretariat
Health Research Institute of Santiago de Compostela (IDIS)
http://www.idisantiago.es

Re: XWiki users edition

Joris Dirks-2
Oh, complex question..

On 25 May 2012 18:21,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to allow an user, or a group of users A, to edit users' profiles on a per users' group basis.
>
> Thus given five users' groups, A, B, C, D, E, I would like to allow, for instance,...
>
> 1. User01 to edit all groups B, D and E members users' profiles .
> 2. B group members, to edit users' profiles of group A members.
>
> I'm almost sure I'm missing something obvious, but to the best of my understanding rights management utility allows rights management on a per space and per page basis, but it is not obvious how to manage rights as I do need to.
>
> Rights are trusted based on XWikiRights objects instances in each "page". If it is possible to manage access rights on spaces as a hole, or wikis in a farm, it is for sure possible to manage users on per group basis. But I'm afraid I don't know how.

Rights are indeed set per page or space. Thus, you could give group A
the right to edit pages (including users) in the space XWiki, as all
users are in the space XWiki. What I normally do is group all pages in
a space for easy access management, but from what I understood it's
not advisable to move users to a space other than XWiki.
Perhaps you could script something so when a user is added to group A,
predefined rights (periodically or directly) are set for these
users/pages.

But I don't even know if there's an API call for setting access rights..

Re: XWiki users edition

rrodriguezIDIS
Hi, Joris!

Yes, there are a big number of references both in XWiki sites and XWki e email list and related issues in Jiri and all points to a solution based on scripting instantiating XWiki.XWikiRights with each new page as required. But if there is a heritage from space to document, it would be possible to have some thing similar from group to group member. But I'm afraid this is a question for developers! A doc, a space, a user or a group all of them are particular cases of doc holding the required instantiated objects. So, I'm afraid my question is far beyond my own understanding about how XWiki does work!

Thanks for your time.

Ricardo

Saúde!

Ricardo