XWord image upload to db fails

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

XWord image upload to db fails

afra
Hello,

I'm trying to edit pages with the help of xoffice. Recently we noticed that when adding images to pages via XWord the database contains an entry in the table xwikiattachment for the attachment but the data is not beeing inserted into the xwikiattachment_content table. This obviously leads to the image link beeing broken, shown as having 0b of size.
I tried this with v1.1.1 as well als v1.2M1 against XWiki2.4. Since I read the whitespace issue I tried this in the Sandbox-Space, Pagename 'Test'. The issue could still be recreated.
I did not find any error in the tomcat logs. Is there any log that I'm missing or is this a known bug?

Greetings,
Andreas
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: XWord image upload to db fails

Florin Ciubotaru
Hi,

I noticed this problem on a some servers but I wasn't able to pinpoint the
issue. From what I saw until now this could be an xml-rpc server bug while
using https.
Can you give me more details about your server enviromnent?

Florin Ciubotaru

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On
> Behalf Of afra
> Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 1:06 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [xwiki-users] XWord image upload to db fails
>
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to edit pages with the help of xoffice. Recently we noticed
that
> when adding images to pages via XWord the database contains an entry in
> the table xwikiattachment for the attachment but the data is not beeing
> inserted into the xwikiattachment_content table. This obviously leads to
the
> image link beeing broken, shown as having 0b of size.
> I tried this with v1.1.1 as well als v1.2M1 against XWiki2.4. Since I read
the
> whitespace issue I tried this in the Sandbox-Space, Pagename 'Test'. The
> issue could still be recreated.
> I did not find any error in the tomcat logs. Is there any log that I'm
missing or

> is this a known bug?
>
> Greetings,
> Andreas
> --
> View this message in context: http://xwiki.475771.n2.nabble.com/XWord-
> image-upload-to-db-fails-tp5367663p5367663.html
> Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: XWord image upload to db fails

afra
Hi Florin,
here are some details about my environment:
-Server2008 R2 Enterprise (64bit)
-JRE 1.6 (32 and 64bit - 32 because of openoffice server)
-OpenOffice running headless per batch
-Tomcat Server 6.0.29 running port 80
-XWiki 2.4 war and xar setup
-DB backend is MSSQL 2008 R1 SE
-Authentication per ldap
-XWord (1.1.1 and 1.2M1 doesn't make a difference for this issue)
-Client running Win7 64bit (32bit was tested as well) + Office2007
If I've missed anything please let me know.
I've already tried this using a normal user (view,edit,comment rights) as well as the admin user (all rights) but it didn't make any difference.

Other topics of XWord I'd like to mention:
-install into Office2007 without admin rights not possible because of security issues (fails to write some settings to security protocol)
-xwiki browser of the plugin shows all spaces with view rights regardless of ignore or edit rights. Wouldn't it be nicer to show only spaces/pages with edit right? Rights managment cannot be cutback as much as to enforce the plugin browser and at the same time grant the user a passive view right on all spaces while logged in at the wiki.

Hopefully the data I supplied helps resolving the issue. If not please don't hesitate to ask for more ;)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: XWord image upload to db fails

afra
I might need to add that the db server and the server hosting xwiki are two different machines.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: XWord image upload to db fails

Florin Ciubotaru
In reply to this post by afra
Hi,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On
> Behalf Of afra
> Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 2:01 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] XWord image upload to db fails
>
>
> Hi Florin,
> here are some details about my environment:
> -Server2008 R2 Enterprise (64bit)
> -JRE 1.6 (32 and 64bit - 32 because of openoffice server) -OpenOffice
running
> headless per batch -Tomcat Server 6.0.29 running port 80 -XWiki 2.4 war
and
> xar setup -DB backend is MSSQL 2008 R1 SE -Authentication per ldap -XWord
> (1.1.1 and 1.2M1 doesn't make a difference for this issue) -Client running
> Win7 64bit (32bit was tested as well) + Office2007 If I've missed anything
> please let me know.
> I've already tried this using a normal user (view,edit,comment rights) as
well
> as the admin user (all rights) but it didn't make any difference.

Thanks for all the details.
Can you share a dummy url coresponding to the one you are using to login in
XWord?

Additionally, I would appeciate if you could test the following scenario:
- Create a wiki page using Word
- Insert some images  then publish the page
- View the page in the browser and click on one of the image attachements.
-> The attachment should be corrupt
- Back in Word, re-publish the page
- Refresh the browser tab containing the attachment url -> The image appears
- Referesh the entire wiki page in the brower -> The image is currupt again

This should confirm that the attachment is only cached and not stored on the
server and will allow me to focus on the serverside api implementation.

>
> Other topics of XWord I'd like to mention:
> -install into Office2007 without admin rights not possible because of
security
> issues (fails to write some settings to security protocol)
Yes. This is imposed by Microsoft for this types of add-ins. The installer
should prompt for admin rights.
> -xwiki browser of the
> plugin shows all spaces with view rights regardless of ignore or edit
rights.
> Wouldn't it be nicer to show only spaces/pages with edit right? Rights
> managment cannot be cutback as much as to enforce the plugin browser and
> at the same time grant the user a passive view right on all spaces while
> logged in at the wiki.
This is a limitation of the server. We should either improve the xml-rpc
api, or switch use REST for the wiki explorer. We currently have low
resources on XOffice but this should also go in the next releases.

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru
>
> Hopefully the data I supplied helps resolving the issue. If not please
don't
> hesitate to ask for more ;)
> --
> View this message in context: http://xwiki.475771.n2.nabble.com/XWord-
> image-upload-to-db-fails-tp5367663p5367839.html
> Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: XWord image upload to db fails

afra
At last I found some more time to carry out your steps.

dummy URL: http://servername/xwiki
reroutes to http://servername/xwiki/bin/view/Main/

Servername entered into the XWord plugin:
http://servername
Login: sAMAccountName
PW: pw

Executing your given steps gave the following results:
- Create a wiki page using Word
  -> successful
- Insert some images then publish the page
  -> testing with only one image
  -> insertion successful, publishing successful
  -> db-table [xwikiattachment] holds a new dataset with details of the attachment
  -> db-table [xwikiattachment_content] doesn't contain a corresponding dataset with the attachment content
- View the page in the browser and click on one of the image attachements.
  -> page can be viewed. picture is shown. seems to last as long as the cache holds up
- The attachment should be corrupt
  -> after a view minutes it seems corrupt
- Back in Word, re-publish the page
  -> success
  -> db-table [xwikiattachment] holds old dataset with details of the attachment
  -> db-table [xwikiattachment_content] doesn't contain a corresponding dataset with the attachment content
- Refresh the browser tab containing the attachment url -> The image appears
  -> correct
- Refresh the entire wiki page in the brower -> The image is currupt again
  -> correct

For testing I used both Firefox and IE8

Regarding the installation.. yes it does prompt for admin rights when trying to install .net3.5 (even if its already installed) but it still fails to write to security protocol if word is not at least once started with administrator rights. This is no problem for me since we will have to do this only once per machine and the administrator is going to be doing this manually anyways - I just wanted to mention it :)

Greetings,
Andreas
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: XWord image upload to db fails

afra
Hi Florin,
is there any news on this topic or some sort of timeline/date? Could you reproduce my error?
Greetings,
Andreas
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: XWord image upload to db fails

Florin Ciubotaru
Hi,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On
> Behalf Of afra
> Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 5:11 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] XWord image upload to db fails
>
>
> Hi Florin,
> is there any news on this topic or some sort of timeline/date? Could you
> reproduce my error?

Yes. Thanks for testing the scenario. It should be fixed by the end of the
month and released with v1.2 M2.

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru

> Greetings,
> Andreas
> --
> View this message in context: http://xwiki.475771.n2.nabble.com/XWord-
> image-upload-to-db-fails-tp5367663p5389117.html
> Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: XWord image upload to db fails

afra
Looking forward to it :)
Thanks,
Andreas