Xword only handle very small amounts of text

Xword only handle very small amounts of text

Martin Bantz-2
Hi all,

A new install works as expected in Linux, and Xword from a Windows 2003
server can attach fine to the server and retrieve even large documents and images.

In XWord, when publishing documents with images or just some 10-20 lines of text I
get the error described below in MS eventlog - and a message 'There was
an error when trying to save the page to the server'. Need to exit Word
and restart.
Small (very small) edits to text are saved fine from XWord.

Installation is Xwiki 2.2.4 - Xword 1.1.0.121 - Tomcat 6.0.26 - MySQL
5.1.42 - OpenOffice 3.2

Would also like to try out the OpenOffice integration - but can't seem
to find it.

I have been trying to add images from Xword, but this has never worked,
assume these issues are related,

any help greatly appreciated,

cheers,
MBantz

--------------Error message details:

Windows 2003 server UK.

Office 2007 SP2 UK.

Source:   ContentFiltering
Type:     System.NullReferenceException
Message:  Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Help link
Exception data:

Stack trace:
    at
ContentFiltering.Office.Word.Filters.GrammarAndSpellingErrorsFilter.Filter(XmlDocument&
xmlDoc)
    at XWiki.Office.Word.LocalToWebHTML.AdaptSource(String content)
    at XWiki.Office.Word.ConversionManager.ConvertFromWordToWeb(String
content)
    at XWord.AddinActions.SaveToXwiki()
    at XWord.AddinActions.SaveToServer()
    at XWord.XWikiRibbon.btnSavePage_Click(Object sender,
RibbonControlEventArgs e)

Re: Xword only handle very small amounts of text

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
On 04/15/2010 11:04 AM, Martin Bantz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A new install works as expected in Linux, and Xword from a Windows 2003
> server can attach fine to the server and retrieve even large documents and images.
>
> In XWord, when publishing documents with images or just some 10-20 lines of text I
> get the error described below in MS eventlog - and a message 'There was
> an error when trying to save the page to the server'. Need to exit Word
> and restart.
> Small (very small) edits to text are saved fine from XWord.
>

> Installation is Xwiki 2.2.4 - Xword 1.1.0.121 - Tomcat 6.0.26 - MySQL
> 5.1.42 - OpenOffice 3.2
>

> Would also like to try out the OpenOffice integration - but can't seem
> to find it.

The OpenOffice integration was a Google Summer of Code project. It's not
quite finished yet, and it hasn't been released. However, it works, and
I encourage you to give it a try. You can find it here:

https://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/sandbox/xoo/

> I have been trying to add images from Xword, but this has never worked,
> assume these issues are related,
>
> any help greatly appreciated,
>
> cheers,
> MBantz

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: Xword only handle very small amounts of text

Florin Ciubotaru

On 4/15/2010 12:04 PM, Martin Bantz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A new install works as expected in Linux, and Xword from a Windows 2003
> server can attach fine to the server and retrieve even large documents and images.
>
> In XWord, when publishing documents with images or just some 10-20 lines of text I
> get the error described below in MS eventlog - and a message 'There was
> an error when trying to save the page to the server'. Need to exit Word
> and restart.
> Small (very small) edits to text are saved fine from XWord.

There's no limit to the content size in XOffice. It can handle large
files relatively easy(>20 pages, >100.000 words, >10 images). The first
limit that is usually hit is the java heap space required by the server
during conversion & upload.

Could you try changing your language settings to English - US?
Unfortunately XOffice is not tested on localized versions of Office. I
know there are issues with the French and German versions, I'm sure what
are the differences between the US and UK version.
I'll try to reproduce this locally. The stack trace message is a bit
short, could you check the Event Viewer for XWord of XOffice events and
check if there are any detailed stack traces?

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru

> Installation is Xwiki 2.2.4 - Xword 1.1.0.121 - Tomcat 6.0.26 - MySQL
> 5.1.42 - OpenOffice 3.2
>

> Would also like to try out the OpenOffice integration - but can't seem
> to find it.
>
> I have been trying to add images from Xword, but this has never worked,
> assume these issues are related,
>
> any help greatly appreciated,
>
> cheers,
> MBantz
>
> --------------Error message details:
>

> Windows 2003 server UK.
>
> Office 2007 SP2 UK.
>

> Source:   ContentFiltering
> Type:     System.NullReferenceException
> Message:  Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
> Help link
> Exception data:
>

> Stack trace:
>      at
> ContentFiltering.Office.Word.Filters.GrammarAndSpellingErrorsFilter.Filter(XmlDocument&
> xmlDoc)
>      at XWiki.Office.Word.LocalToWebHTML.AdaptSource(String content)
>      at XWiki.Office.Word.ConversionManager.ConvertFromWordToWeb(String
> content)
>      at XWord.AddinActions.SaveToXwiki()
>      at XWord.AddinActions.SaveToServer()
>      at XWord.XWikiRibbon.btnSavePage_Click(Object sender,
> RibbonControlEventArgs e)

Re: Xword only handle very small amounts of text

Martin Bantz-2
Dear Florin,

thank you for your reply. I have changed the regional settings to
English - US (native language is Danish here) but the same is happening.

Interestingly, I just tried to load (edit) and publish a large (normal)
document, if I change anything in it - the error appear, but if I leave
it intact I can save it again (i.e. just load and publish).

The only information I get on the issue is the info from event viewer
from my first post.

Two more facts:
I'm running both systems (Win2003 server as client and PCLinuxOS as
server) in VM's (VMWare).

I have not been working on java-setup in Win2003 at all.

thanks
Martin

On 15-04-2010 12:19, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 4/15/2010 12:04 PM, Martin Bantz wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A new install works as expected in Linux, and Xword from a Windows 2003
>> server can attach fine to the server and retrieve even large documents and images.
>>
>> In XWord, when publishing documents with images or just some 10-20 lines of text I
>> get the error described below in MS eventlog - and a message 'There was
>> an error when trying to save the page to the server'. Need to exit Word
>> and restart.
>> Small (very small) edits to text are saved fine from XWord.
>>

> There's no limit to the content size in XOffice. It can handle large
> files relatively easy(>20 pages,>100.000 words,>10 images). The first
> limit that is usually hit is the java heap space required by the server
> during conversion&  upload.
>
> Could you try changing your language settings to English - US?
> Unfortunately XOffice is not tested on localized versions of Office. I
> know there are issues with the French and German versions, I'm sure what
> are the differences between the US and UK version.
> I'll try to reproduce this locally. The stack trace message is a bit
> short, could you check the Event Viewer for XWord of XOffice events and
> check if there are any detailed stack traces?
>
> Thanks,
> Florin Ciubotaru
>

>> Installation is Xwiki 2.2.4 - Xword 1.1.0.121 - Tomcat 6.0.26 - MySQL
>> 5.1.42 - OpenOffice 3.2
>>

>> Would also like to try out the OpenOffice integration - but can't seem
>> to find it.
>>
>> I have been trying to add images from Xword, but this has never worked,
>> assume these issues are related,
>>
>> any help greatly appreciated,
>>
>> cheers,
>> MBantz
>>
>> --------------Error message details:
>>

>> Windows 2003 server UK.
>>
>> Office 2007 SP2 UK.
>>

>> Source:   ContentFiltering
>> Type:     System.NullReferenceException
>> Message:  Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
>> Help link
>> Exception data:
>>

>> Stack trace:
>>       at
>> ContentFiltering.Office.Word.Filters.GrammarAndSpellingErrorsFilter.Filter(XmlDocument&
>> xmlDoc)
>>       at XWiki.Office.Word.LocalToWebHTML.AdaptSource(String content)
>>       at XWiki.Office.Word.ConversionManager.ConvertFromWordToWeb(String
>> content)
>>       at XWord.AddinActions.SaveToXwiki()
>>       at XWord.AddinActions.SaveToServer()
>>       at XWord.XWikiRibbon.btnSavePage_Click(Object sender,
>> RibbonControlEventArgs e)

Re: Xword only handle very small amounts of text

Martin Bantz-2
I think I have found the root of this issue - and a workaround it seems:

This error appear when MS Office automatic language detector kicks in.

If text is set to English it fails - but set to Danish it works out.
Assumed it would be other way around.

This is why the small edits I've tried, worked out - the language did
not change.

Also installed latest version of Sun Java on the 2003 server client (..)

Well, I have this setup here - and If you need more info I'll send it,

thanks for a great product, looking forward to demonstrate it next week
and translate it to Danish,

cheers,
Martin

On 04/15/2010 01:32 PM, Martin Bantz wrote:
> I think I have found the root of this issue - and a workaround it seems:
>
> This error appear when MS Office automatic language detector kicks in.
>
> If text is set to English it fails - but set to Danish it works out.
> Assumed it would be other way around.

Looks like switching languages inside the content generates some special
markup that causes the exception.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

On 4/15/2010 2:51 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:
> On 04/15/2010 01:32 PM, Martin Bantz wrote:
>
>> I think I have found the root of this issue - and a workaround it seems:
>>
>> This error appear when MS Office automatic language detector kicks in.
>>
>> If text is set to English it fails - but set to Danish it works out.
>> Assumed it would be other way around.

It depends on the language you write the content too.
> Looks like switching languages inside the content generates some special
> markup that causes the exception.

The markup is generated when a word is not found in the assigned
dictionary. The NPE is actually in the the filter that cleans that markup.
- http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XOFFICE-72
-
http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/xoffice/trunk/xword/ContentFiltering/Office/Word/Filters/GrammarAndSpellingErrorsFilter.cs

Florin Ciubotaru