archlinux native packages

Frédéric Bouquet
Hi,

I've just built two packages for archlinux, one concerning
xwiki-enterprise, the other xwiki-manager.
To install xwiki :
yaourt -S xwiki-enterprise
or
yaourt -S xwiki-manager

Packages are here :
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xwiki-enterprise/
and here :
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xwiki-manager/

What about creating a repository for them on xwiki-contrib, for example :
archlinux-packages ?
If someone create the repo, I'll upload files tomorrow.

--
Frédéric Bouquet
Twitter/Github : bouquetf

Re: archlinux native packages

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
On 05/15/2013 07:28 PM, Frédéric Bouquet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just built two packages for archlinux, one concerning
> xwiki-enterprise, the other xwiki-manager.
> To install xwiki :
> yaourt -S xwiki-enterprise
> or
> yaourt -S xwiki-manager
>
> Packages are here :
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xwiki-enterprise/
> and here :
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xwiki-manager/
>
> What about creating a repository for them on xwiki-contrib, for example :
> archlinux-packages ?
> If someone create the repo, I'll upload files tomorrow.

Created https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/packaging-archlinux

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: archlinux native packages

Jérôme Velociter

That's great!

I see it's Tomcat + HSQLDB. Wouldn't it be better to have Tomcat + MySQL ?

Cheers,

Jérôme

Le 16/05/13 01:28, Frédéric Bouquet a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I've just built two packages for archlinux, one concerning
> xwiki-enterprise, the other xwiki-manager.
> To install xwiki :
> yaourt -S xwiki-enterprise
> or
> yaourt -S xwiki-manager
>
> Packages are here :
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xwiki-enterprise/
> and here :
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xwiki-manager/
>
> What about creating a repository for them on xwiki-contrib, for example :
> archlinux-packages ?
> If someone create the repo, I'll upload files tomorrow.

Re: archlinux native packages

Frédéric Bouquet
Thanks, I pushed files

2013/5/16 Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]>

> On 05/15/2013 07:28 PM, Frédéric Bouquet wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just built two packages for archlinux, one concerning
> > xwiki-enterprise, the other xwiki-manager.
> > To install xwiki :
> > yaourt -S xwiki-enterprise
> > or
> > yaourt -S xwiki-manager
> >
> > Packages are here :
> > https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xwiki-enterprise/
> > and here :
> > https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xwiki-manager/
> >
> > What about creating a repository for them on xwiki-contrib, for example :
> > archlinux-packages ?
> > If someone create the repo, I'll upload files tomorrow.
> >

> Created https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/packaging-archlinux
>
> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Frédéric Bouquet
Twitter/Github : bouquetf
http://www.espacedefouille.org/

Re: archlinux native packages

Sergiu Dumitriu-3
On 05/16/2013 01:54 PM, Frédéric Bouquet wrote:
> Thanks, I pushed files

Great.

My next question is: how do we make sure this keeps being updated for
each stable release?

> 2013/5/16 Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]>
>
>> On 05/15/2013 07:28 PM, Frédéric Bouquet wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just built two packages for archlinux, one concerning
>>> xwiki-enterprise, the other xwiki-manager.
>>> To install xwiki :
>>> yaourt -S xwiki-enterprise
>>> or
>>> yaourt -S xwiki-manager
>>>
>>> Packages are here :
>>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xwiki-enterprise/
>>> and here :
>>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xwiki-manager/
>>>
>>> What about creating a repository for them on xwiki-contrib, for example :
>>> archlinux-packages ?
>>> If someone create the repo, I'll upload files tomorrow.
>>>

>> Created https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/packaging-archlinux

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: archlinux native packages

Frédéric Bouquet
I was thinking of other DBS but I don't know yet the best solution.

Let's explain the problem I see.
When installing XWiki on a server database, the user may have changed
default root password, he may also have installed other databases for other
tools.
1. How to create XWiki database without knowing the username and password ?
2. In the case of XWiki-manager, if we give xwiki db user rights to
create/drop databases, XWiki administrator may create tables in an db which
host an other application, and by the way delete it. If xwiki db user only
have default privileges, XWiki administrator will have to ask for a new db
for each wiki he wants to create. How to decide which case to choose ?

Here are the possible solutions I see :

Try with default values and prompt an error if it did not work
+ small, simple
- won't work for many cases

Prompt at install time for decisions.
+ It solves all issues
- Business rules are quiet complex
- May be hard to maintain
- Not sure it's a goor practice

Document how to change and use an other DB
+ Easy to maintain
+ Do it yourself which is, I think the philosophy of Archlinux
+ Easy to automate using configuration manager systems (puppet/chief)
- not fully automated
By the way, it may be possible to provide some other packages on top of
those which will install jdbc drivers, update config files and explain what
modification to do according to the db

I would prefer third solution. WDYT ?

2013/5/16 Jerome Velociter <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> That's great!
>
> I see it's Tomcat + HSQLDB. Wouldn't it be better to have Tomcat + MySQL ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jérôme
>
> Le 16/05/13 01:28, Frédéric Bouquet a écrit :
>
>  Hi,
>>
>> I've just built two packages for archlinux, one concerning
>> xwiki-enterprise, the other xwiki-manager.
>> To install xwiki :
>> yaourt -S xwiki-enterprise
>> or
>> yaourt -S xwiki-manager
>>
>> Packages are here :
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/**packages/xwiki-enterprise/<https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xwiki-enterprise/>
>> and here :
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/**packages/xwiki-manager/<https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xwiki-manager/>
>>
>> What about creating a repository for them on xwiki-contrib, for example :
>> archlinux-packages ?
>> If someone create the repo, I'll upload files tomorrow.

Frédéric Bouquet
Twitter/Github : bouquetf
http://www.espacedefouille.org/

Re: archlinux native packages

Frédéric Bouquet
As I use the packages, I'll keep them up to date as possible.

The ideal situation may be to get enough votes that Arch devs maintain the
packages ;)

2013/5/16 Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]>

> On 05/16/2013 01:54 PM, Frédéric Bouquet wrote:
> > Thanks, I pushed files
> >

> Great.
>
> My next question is: how do we make sure this keeps being updated for
> each stable release?

> example :
> >>>

> >> Created https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/packaging-archlinux
>

> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Frédéric Bouquet
Twitter/Github : bouquetf
http://www.espacedefouille.org/

Re: archlinux native packages

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM, Frédéric Bouquet
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was thinking of other DBS but I don't know yet the best solution.
>
> Let's explain the problem I see.
> When installing XWiki on a server database, the user may have changed
> default root password, he may also have installed other databases for other
> tools.
> 1. How to create XWiki database without knowing the username and password ?

Debian package ask for it (that's what most DB applications do in
Debian world). But it's easy to say when it's done by a standard
Debian tool and not by us ;)

> 2. In the case of XWiki-manager, if we give xwiki db user rights to
> create/drop databases, XWiki administrator may create tables in an db which
> host an other application, and by the way delete it. If xwiki db user only
> have default privileges, XWiki administrator will have to ask for a new db
> for each wiki he wants to create. How to decide which case to choose ?

I would say ask for it too. Now I don't think a XEM package is really
required since we are talking more and more of getting rid of it
during the 5.x timeframe.

> Here are the possible solutions I see :
>
> Try with default values and prompt an error if it did not work
> + small, simple
> - won't work for many cases
>
> Prompt at install time for decisions.
> + It solves all issues
> - Business rules are quiet complex
> - May be hard to maintain
> - Not sure it's a goor practice
>
> Document how to change and use an other DB
> + Easy to maintain
> + Do it yourself which is, I think the philosophy of Archlinux
> + Easy to automate using configuration manager systems (puppet/chief)
> - not fully automated
> By the way, it may be possible to provide some other packages on top of
> those which will install jdbc drivers, update config files and explain what
> modification to do according to the db
>
> I would prefer third solution. WDYT ?
>

> 2013/5/16 Jerome Velociter <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> That's great!
>>
>> I see it's Tomcat + HSQLDB. Wouldn't it be better to have Tomcat + MySQL ?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jérôme
>>
>> Le 16/05/13 01:28, Frédéric Bouquet a écrit :
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just built two packages for archlinux, one concerning
>>> xwiki-enterprise, the other xwiki-manager.
>>> To install xwiki :
>>> yaourt -S xwiki-enterprise
>>> or
>>> yaourt -S xwiki-manager
>>>
>>> Packages are here :
>>> https://aur.archlinux.org/**packages/xwiki-enterprise/<https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xwiki-enterprise/>
>>> and here :
>>> https://aur.archlinux.org/**packages/xwiki-manager/<https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xwiki-manager/>
>>>
>>> What about creating a repository for them on xwiki-contrib, for example :
>>> archlinux-packages ?
>>> If someone create the repo, I'll upload files tomorrow.

> Frédéric Bouquet
> Twitter/Github : bouquetf
> http://www.espacedefouille.org/

Re: archlinux native packages

Frédéric Bouquet
Hi,

Thank you for your answer Thomas

2013/5/17 Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>

> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM, Frédéric Bouquet
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I was thinking of other DBS but I don't know yet the best solution.
> >
> > Let's explain the problem I see.
> > When installing XWiki on a server database, the user may have changed
> > default root password, he may also have installed other databases for
> other
> > tools.
> > 1. How to create XWiki database without knowing the username and
> password ?
>
> Debian package ask for it (that's what most DB applications do in
> Debian world). But it's easy to say when it's done by a standard
> Debian tool and not by us ;)

I asked on Archlinux forums and it seems to be a bad practice to ask for a
configuration to the user (philosophy : KISS and do it yourself). The
prefered solution seems to be installing a minimal system and provide basic
explanation on how to change the configuration according to the needs. And
also give a link to a more complete solution.
I plan also to move the packaging to datasources instead of direct
connections.

I need a rampup on rpm packaging. As an exercise, I'll try to provide rpm
packages for xwiki and, in such systems (centos/redhat/ ...), ask for what
and how to configure. I think it's a more common practice on such systems

> 2. In the case of XWiki-manager, if we give xwiki db user rights to
> > create/drop databases, XWiki administrator may create tables in an db
> which
> > host an other application, and by the way delete it. If xwiki db user
> only
> > have default privileges, XWiki administrator will have to ask for a new
> db
> > for each wiki he wants to create. How to decide which case to choose ?
>
> I would say ask for it too. Now I don't think a XEM package is really
> required since we are talking more and more of getting rid of it
> during the 5.x timeframe.

Same as before here. I'll upgrade the packages according to changes in
XWiki, and if at the end enterprise and manager merge, it will be one
package less to maintain ;)
Concerning the datasource, I know it's possible to define one DS for
multiple schema, but for a database as mysql where one DB can have only one
schema, I'm not sure it's possible to point multiple databases using one
datasource... In short, I'll have to investigate the subject ;)

Thanks again for your feedback