changing translation values

pinkerp
Realizing this is a very basic question, I ask it anyway in the hopes of
a fairly plain language answer.

How do you edit the titles that you call using $msg.get(xxx)?

I am working on some code and it is using:
$msg.get('platform.core.profile.company').  I want to change company to
another term more familiar to my users, but need to change it both for
English and French versions.  I want to use the $msg.get functionality,
as it makes switching languages simpler - but I cannot figure out where
this "dictionary" is actually stored for editing.

Paul Pinkerton
KnowledgeNow Project Lead
have a look in the wiki configuration, there is, there, a list of "translation bundles" which are wiki pages which contain translation bundles (java properties).

Overriding works well there.

paul

On 23 juil. 2013, at 19:50, Paul Pinkerton (ACLCO) wrote:

> Realizing this is a very basic question, I ask it anyway in the hopes of
> a fairly plain language answer.
>
> How do you edit the titles that you call using $msg.get(xxx)?
>
> I am working on some code and it is using:
> $msg.get('platform.core.profile.company').  I want to change company to
> another term more familiar to my users, but need to change it both for
> English and French versions.  I want to use the $msg.get functionality,
> as it makes switching languages simpler - but I cannot figure out where
> this "dictionary" is actually stored for editing.
>
> Paul Pinkerton
> KnowledgeNow Project Lead

I can see the translation bundles that have been added for specific
applications/ extensions, but cannot figure out where the ones are when
referring to "platform" (ie.
$msg.get("platform.dashboard.wiki.tagcloud")

Paul Pinkerton
KnowledgeNow Project Lead
have a look in the wiki configuration, there is, there, a list of
"translation bundles" which are wiki pages which contain translation
bundles (java properties).

Overriding works well there.

paul

On 23 juil. 2013, at 19:50, Paul Pinkerton (ACLCO) wrote:

> Realizing this is a very basic question, I ask it anyway in the hopes
> of a fairly plain language answer.
>
> How do you edit the titles that you call using $msg.get(xxx)?
>
> I am working on some code and it is using:
> $msg.get('platform.core.profile.company').  I want to change company
> to another term more familiar to my users, but need to change it both
> for English and French versions.  I want to use the $msg.get
> functionality, as it makes switching languages simpler - but I cannot
> figure out where this "dictionary" is actually stored for editing.
>
> Paul Pinkerton
> KnowledgeNow Project Lead

End of users Digest, Vol 72, Issue 51

Re: changing translation values

Valdis Vītoliņš
It is some *.properties file archived in somewhere in one of *.jar files
in .../WEB-INF/lib/ folder. But to replace it you can download file from
http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Platform/XWikiCoreResources
e.g.
https://raw.github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-oldcore/src/main/resources/ApplicationResources.properties
then edit it and put it in .../WEB-INF/classes/ folder

Valdis

> I can see the translation bundles that have been added for specific
> applications/ extensions, but cannot figure out where the ones are when
> referring to "platform" (ie.
> $msg.get("platform.dashboard.wiki.tagcloud")
>
> Paul Pinkerton
> KnowledgeNow Project Lead

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi Paul,

if I remember correctly, you can override those properties from the wiki.
You have to create a page with your translations (say,
XWiki.OverridenTranslations ) in which you'll write your own translations:

platform.dashboard.wiki.tagcloud=WHATEVER

Then you need to save that page and resigter it as a translation bundle
from the administation interface. I think that should work.

Best,

Guillaume

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Valdis Vītoliņš <[hidden email]>wrote:

> It is some *.properties file archived in somewhere in one of *.jar files
> in .../WEB-INF/lib/ folder. But to replace it you can download file from
> http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Platform/XWikiCoreResources
> e.g.
>
> https://raw.github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-oldcore/src/main/resources/ApplicationResources.properties
> then edit it and put it in .../WEB-INF/classes/ folder
>
> Valdis
>
> > I can see the translation bundles that have been added for specific
> > applications/ extensions, but cannot figure out where the ones are when
> > referring to "platform" (ie.
> > $msg.get("platform.dashboard.wiki.tagcloud")
> >
> > Paul Pinkerton
> > KnowledgeNow Project Lead

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> if I remember correctly, you can override those properties from the wiki.
> You have to create a page with your translations (say,
> XWiki.OverridenTranslations ) in which you'll write your own translations:
>
> platform.dashboard.wiki.tagcloud=WHATEVER
>

> Then you need to save that page and resigter it as a translation bundle
> from the administation interface. I think that should work.

Yes, but you can skip the registration if you have 4.2+. See
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Localization+Module#HRegisterawikitranslation
.

Hope this helps,
Marius