[contrib] Livetable exporter macro extension request

[contrib] Livetable exporter macro extension request

Stéphane Laurière-6
Hi everyone,

I'd like to propose an evolution of the livetable Excel export macro [1] so as to support CSV export, and possibly ODS in the future. I'm adding Anca and Guilhaume as original authors (and we discussed the idea with Anca). Since the existing macro name would not match with this new functional perimeter, my proposal would be to create a new macro that we could call "livetable exporter macro". This macro would be at first a copy of the existing one in order to keep the source code history tree, and then it would evolve on its own.

Hence my question: would you approve the creation of a "macro-livetable-exporter" repository on github.com/xwiki-contrib, and an LTEXP project in JIRA?

[1] <https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/LiveTableExcelExport Macro>

Regards,

Stéphane

--
Stéphane Laurière
XWiki www.xwiki.com

Re: [contrib] Livetable exporter macro extension request

Hi Stephane,

> On 30 Jan 2019, at 11:12, Stéphane Laurière <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to propose an evolution of the livetable Excel export macro [1] so as to support CSV export, and possibly ODS in the future. I'm adding Anca and Guilhaume as original authors (and we discussed the idea with Anca). Since the existing macro name would not match with this new functional perimeter, my proposal would be to create a new macro that we could call "livetable exporter macro". This macro would be at first a copy of the existing one in order to keep the source code history tree, and then it would evolve on its own.
>
> Hence my question: would you approve the creation of a "macro-livetable-exporter" repository on github.com/xwiki-contrib, and an LTEXP project in JIRA?

IMO your proposal should include moving the current Excel Export macro to xwiki-attic and update the extension doc page for it to explain it’s been deprecated and abandoned in favor of the new macro. Ofc this should be done only after a first release of the new macro.

So my main comment is to reduce possible confusion for users and developers to the max.

Another possibility (better for the user IMO):
* Reuse the same repo
* Increase the major version for the extension
* Keep the old macro as legacy and have it call the new one for its implementation. Also make it output some info to the user to explain that it’s deprecated and point to the new macro
* Add the new macro

> [1] <https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/LiveTableExcelExport Macro>
>
> Regards,
>
> Stéphane
>
> --
> Stéphane Laurière
> XWiki www.xwiki.com

Re: [contrib] Livetable exporter macro extension request

Stéphane Laurière-6
Vincent, all,

Vincent Massol:

> Hi Stephane,
>
>> On 30 Jan 2019, at 11:12, Stéphane Laurière <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'd like to propose an evolution of the livetable Excel export macro [1] so as to support CSV export, and possibly ODS in the future. I'm adding Anca and Guilhaume as original authors (and we discussed the idea with Anca). Since the existing macro name would not match with this new functional perimeter, my proposal would be to create a new macro that we could call "livetable exporter macro". This macro would be at first a copy of the existing one in order to keep the source code history tree, and then it would evolve on its own.
>>
>> Hence my question: would you approve the creation of a "macro-livetable-exporter" repository on github.com/xwiki-contrib, and an LTEXP project in JIRA?
>
> IMO your proposal should include moving the current Excel Export macro to xwiki-attic and update the extension doc page for it to explain it’s been deprecated and abandoned in favor of the new macro. Ofc this should be done only after a first release of the new macro.
>
> So my main comment is to reduce possible confusion for users and developers to the max.
>
> Another possibility (better for the user IMO):
> * Reuse the same repo
> * Increase the major version for the extension
> * Keep the old macro as legacy and have it call the new one for its implementation. Also make it output some info to the user to explain that it’s deprecated and point to the new macro
> * Add the new macro

Right, this approach sounds less confusing for users indeed. I'll follow this path then, unless anyone objects, and I'll make sure to update the existing macro documentation page.

Cheers & thanks,

Stéphane

--
Stéphane Laurière