error registering new user

Brian D. Switzer
Hmm...  Everything was working fine for a long time but all of a sudden I'm
getting an error when a new user tries to register.  It appears to be
permission related and I'm not sure what I might have done to cause it.  I'm
running this in a virtual wiki and have captured a debug log.  It's huge, so
I'm linking to it on my web server here:

http://www.herkamur.ca/log.txt

Any help would be most appreciated.

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
 from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke

Re: error registering new user

jeremi joslin
can you send me the error from the browser?

Jérémi

On 2/1/06, Brian D. Switzer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm...  Everything was working fine for a long time but all of a sudden I'm
> getting an error when a new user tries to register.  It appears to be
> permission related and I'm not sure what I might have done to cause it.  I'm
> running this in a virtual wiki and have captured a debug log.  It's huge, so
> I'm linking to it on my web server here:
>
> http://www.herkamur.ca/log.txt
>
> Any help would be most appreciated.
>
> --
> "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
>  from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
> --
> Brian D. Switzer
> email:  herkamur [at] canada [dot] com
> web:  http://bswitzer.railfan.net/

Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
http://www.xwiki.org
skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 13:25, jeremi joslin wrote:
> can you send me the error from the browser?

The only error message is this:

        Registration of test test
        An error occured during the registration process (-1).

This is displayed on the registration page along with the registration form
again.

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
 from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
--
Brian D. Switzer
email:  herkamur [at] canada [dot] com
web:  http://bswitzer.railfan.net/

next version of xwiki

tsuter
We are using ldap authentication on xwiki.  This bug could be related
with authentication in general and not ldap specific.  When you go to
the login page, it comes up as unformatted.  You can see the username
and password boxes fine enough to enter in the credentials but then
after logging in, you get a .css unformatted.  Then you hit the back
button on your browser and are brought to the formatted login page.  You
log back in, and get the proper front page for xwiki.  Is this going to
be fixed in the next version?  Or is there something with my settings
that are protecting the content from being displayed properly?

Thanks,
Tim Suter

Re: next version of xwiki

Robin Fernandes
Hi Tim,

Take a look at this thread:
http://mail-archive.objectweb.org/xwiki-users/2005-12/msg00047.html

On 01/02/06, Tim Suter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are using ldap authentication on xwiki.  This bug could be related
> with authentication in general and not ldap specific.  When you go to
> the login page, it comes up as unformatted.  You can see the username
> and password boxes fine enough to enter in the credentials but then
> after logging in, you get a .css unformatted.  Then you hit the back
> button on your browser and are brought to the formatted login page.  You
> log back in, and get the proper front page for xwiki.  Is this going to
> be fixed in the next version?  Or is there something with my settings
> that are protecting the content from being displayed properly?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim Suter

Re: error registering new user

Hi Brian,

There is a known caveat in the registration page which is that it should
not be modified by a non-admin user.
Resave your page using an admin and it should work again.

Ludovic

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 16:39, Ludovic Dubost wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> There is a known caveat in the registration page which is that it should
> not be modified by a non-admin user.
> Resave your page using an admin and it should work again.

Well, the creator and last author are both XWiki.Admin.  I tried a resave
again anyway by using "edit this page" and then just hitting save.  I still
get the same error.

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
 from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
--
Brian D. Switzer
email:  herkamur [at] canada [dot] com
web:  http://bswitzer.railfan.net/

Re: error registering new user

Ludovic Dubost

Are you sure the "Admin" user still has the "admin" right ?
You can add "$xwiki.hasAdminRights()" to a page and view it using this
user to see if it shows "true"

Ludovic

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 17:37, Ludovic Dubost wrote:
> Are you sure the "Admin" user still has the "admin" right ?
> You can add "$xwiki.hasAdminRights()" to a page and view it using this
> user to see if it shows "true"

I created a test page with only that as content.  I viewed the page and it
displayed "true".

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
 from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
--
Brian D. Switzer
email:  herkamur [at] canada [dot] com
web:  http://bswitzer.railfan.net/

Re: next version of xwiki

tsuter
Sweet.  Must have missed this solution the first time around when I
brought it up.  Look at who the original poster is :)

Have a great weekend everyone.

Tim Suter

Robin Fernandes wrote:

>Hi Tim,
>
>Take a look at this thread:
>http://mail-archive.objectweb.org/xwiki-users/2005-12/msg00047.html
>
>On 01/02/06, Tim Suter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>We are using ldap authentication on xwiki.  This bug could be related
>>with authentication in general and not ldap specific.  When you go to
>>the login page, it comes up as unformatted.  You can see the username
>>and password boxes fine enough to enter in the credentials but then
>>after logging in, you get a .css unformatted.  Then you hit the back
>>button on your browser and are brought to the formatted login page.  You
>>log back in, and get the proper front page for xwiki.  Is this going to
>>be fixed in the next version?  Or is there something with my settings
>>that are protecting the content from being displayed properly?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Tim Suter

Re: error registering new user

This is weird.. -1 really means not having the admin right for the
author of the page.
Have you changed anything in your rights ?

Ludovic

Brian D. Switzer a écrit :

> On Wednesday 01 February 2006 16:39, Ludovic Dubost wrote:
>
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> There is a known caveat in the registration page which is that it should
>> not be modified by a non-admin user.
>> Resave your page using an admin and it should work again.
>>

> Well, the creator and last author are both XWiki.Admin.  I tried a resave
> again anyway by using "edit this page" and then just hitting save.  I still
> get the same error.

Re: error registering new user

Brian D. Switzer
The rights?  I've modified them to require people to log on before they can
add comments and removed edit access to all users, but that's about it.  I've
added another two users to the edit list for one of the spaces.  I know that
people have been able to log on after I made those changes though.

On Sunday 05 February 2006 16:55, Ludovic Dubost wrote:

> This is weird.. -1 really means not having the admin right for the
> author of the page.
> Have you changed anything in your rights ?
>
> Ludovic
>
> Brian D. Switzer a écrit :
> > On Wednesday 01 February 2006 16:39, Ludovic Dubost wrote:
> >> Hi Brian,
> >>
> >> There is a known caveat in the registration page which is that it should
> >> not be modified by a non-admin user.
> >> Resave your page using an admin and it should work again.
> >
> > Well, the creator and last author are both XWiki.Admin.  I tried a resave
> > again anyway by using "edit this page" and then just hitting save.  I
> > still get the same error.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable
 from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
--
Brian D. Switzer
email:  herkamur [at] canada [dot] com
web:  http://bswitzer.railfan.net/

Re: error registering new user

Ludovic Dubost

Would it be possible that you did not give anybody the "admin" right ?
Could you also try giving the "programming" right to the user editing
the RegisterNewUser page
Finally, last possible issue, would you have multiple languages of the
RegisterNewUser page ?

Ludovic