forgot password (admin and user)

hamiazuhk26
Hi, I am searching for forgot password link but seems theres no one link

I want to ask, what if i (user) forgot the password. How to retrieve it back?

Re: forgot password (admin and user)

Dung Hoang
This http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Security#HSuperadminaccount appear as the first result when I googled for "xwiki forgot password (admin and user)", that's your best bet. Remember to disable the superadmin account after you're done.

Hope that helps.
Zoom

---- On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 13:58:45 +0700 hamiazuhk26 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Thanks Dung.
I also get the same link as u send to me. Let say , I am user and suddenly i forgot the password so how to retrieve it back? I can set the new password but need to remmber the previous password rght?

Re: forgot password (admin and user)

Dung Hoang
Good, so you read the guide, but did you try to follow it? If you did try, did it solve your problem?

From the link, the guide says

By default, this account is disabled. To enable it, you have to edit <xwiki-dir>/WEB-INF/xwiki.cfg, uncomment the xwiki.superadminpassword=system line and set a proper password. To disable it, just comment this line. Remember to restart the servlet container after changing xwiki.cfg.

So you follow the guide, after that you log in with account superadmin and password being whatever you set in the xwiki.cfg (which is "system" if you don't change and just uncomment the line). After logging in, with the role of superadmin you can change every other user's password without knowing their old (curreent) password.

I suggest whenever you find the guide not clear enough, you just wing it and try for yourself, play around to see how it goes. You will most probably figure out yourself how to complete the task. Then, if you still think the guide could be improved, you can go back to the guide's page and add a comment. Most probably anyone with a bit of technical writing skills will volunteer to update the guide soon.

HTH.

---- On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 14:27:25 +0700 hamiazuhk26 <[hidden email]> wrote ----

Thanks Dung.

I also get the same link as u send to me. Let say , I am user and suddenly i

forgot the password so how to retrieve it back? I can set the new password

but need to remmber the previous password rght?

Re: forgot password (admin and user)

> On 28 Dec 2016, at 10:04, Dung Hoang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Good, so you read the guide, but did you try to follow it? If you did try, did it solve your problem?
>

> From the link, the guide says
>
> By default, this account is disabled. To enable it, you have to edit &lt;xwiki-dir&gt;/WEB-INF/xwiki.cfg, uncomment the xwiki.superadminpassword=system line and set a proper password. To disable it, just comment this line. Remember to restart the servlet container after changing xwiki.cfg.
>
> So you follow the guide, after that you log in with account superadmin and password being whatever you set in the xwiki.cfg (which is "system" if you don't change and just uncomment the line). After logging in, with the role of superadmin you can change every other user's password without knowing their old (curreent) password.
>
> I suggest whenever you find the guide not clear enough, you just wing it and try for yourself, play around to see how it goes. You will most probably figure out yourself how to complete the task. Then, if you still think the guide could be improved, you can go back to the guide's page and add a comment. Most probably anyone with a bit of technical writing skills will volunteer to update the guide soon.

Actually, on this point, I think it’s better if you modify directly the content instead of adding a comment. The wiki is a collaborative tool and it’s made for that! Don’t worry, the devs list receives every day a mail with the changes done on xwiki.org sod if something is not correct the xwiki developers will see it anyway and will be able to fix it. It’s nicer than waiting for someone to merge your comments.

> HTH.
>

> ---- On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 14:27:25 +0700 hamiazuhk26 &lt;[hidden email]&gt; wrote ----
>

> Thanks Dung.
>
> I also get the same link as u send to me. Let say , I am user and suddenly i
>
> forgot the password so how to retrieve it back? I can set the new password
>
> but need to remmber the previous password rght?

Re: forgot password (admin and user)

hamiazuhk26
Thanks Dung. I had try and play around and its work, SUCCESS!!...

Superadmin has an access to many things. But, I could recommend XWiki team enhance this setting so that user can directly click forgot password link instead of asking for admin to do this on behalf.

Re: forgot password (admin and user)

Dung Hoang
Good to hear it works for you hamiazuhk26, sorry I didn't notice that XWiki didn't have a Forgot Password link so I was trying to solve the wrong problem;). Hope to hear from the XWiki guys on this.

Thanks for the info, Vincent. Yes I agree.

Cheers,

Dung

---- On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 09:19:50 +0700 hamiazuhk26 &lt;[hidden email]&gt; wrote ----

Thanks Dung. I had try and play around and its work, SUCCESS!!...

Superadmin has an access to many things. But, I could recommend XWiki team

enhance this setting so that user can directly click forgot password link

instead of asking for admin to do this on behalf.

Re: forgot password (admin and user)

hamiazuhk26
Yes Dung, also Vincent thanks too..
Thanks everyone.

Ohh, i have something to ask.

I want to develop knowledge base centre for my company. I want all staff can access but think there is a lot of step to do for initial setup right? it is include, download the xwiki, and run the command prompt. SO, is there any easier way for staff to run the xwiki? I mean can staff just open the browser and type xwiki/home directly?

Sorry, just want to know if there is any other way

Re: forgot password (admin and user)

novnovice
If I understand your question correctly, yes, after the xwiki site has been configured by an admin, regular users can access the wiki directly in the browser as long as they have an account in the wiki or integration has been configured with your domain authentication.

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 9:27 AM, hamiazuhk26 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Dung.
> I also get the same link as u send to me. Let say , I am user and suddenly
> forgot the password so how to retrieve it back? I can set the new password
> but need to remmber the previous password rght?

On the login dialog where you provide the user name and password there are
two links "Forgot your username?" and "Forgot your password?". Isn't this
what you need?