how to use xwiki behind an authenticating http proxy?

how to use xwiki behind an authenticating http proxy?

Patrice Godard
Hi,
I'm trying to set-up xwiki for my company but I have an issue with our authenticating http proxy which prevents me to install additionnal plugins into xwiki.

I searched the FAQ and mailing list archives but could not find a reference to how to use xwiki behind an authenticating proxy (I could only find information on how to use it behind a reverse proxy).

I tried to setup the usual JVM properties http.proxyHost, port, username and password but xwiki does not seem to use them.
The error stacktrace shows a connection timeout in the HttpClient classes.

So I'd be glad to know if xwiki can be used behind such a proxy, because it's currently a showstopper for us (and I REALLY would like to use xwiki instead of mediawiki).

Thanks,
Patrice

Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net

Re: how to use xwiki behind an authenticating http proxy?

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Patrice Godard
> I'm trying to set-up xwiki for my company but I have an issue with our authenticating http proxy which prevents me to install additionnal plugins into xwiki.
>
> I searched the FAQ and mailing list archives but could not find a reference to how to use xwiki behind an authenticating proxy (I could only find information on how to use it behind a reverse proxy).
>
> I tried to setup the usual JVM properties http.proxyHost, port, username and password but xwiki does not seem to use them.
> The error stacktrace shows a connection timeout in the HttpClient classes.

Could you provide the complete stack trace since there is actually
several codes using httpclient.

> So I'd be glad to know if xwiki can be used behind such a proxy, because it's currently a showstopper for us (and I REALLY would like to use xwiki instead of mediawiki).
>
> Thanks,
> Patrice
>

> Une messagerie gratuite, garantie à vie et des services en plus, ça vous tente ?
> Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net

Re: how to use xwiki behind an authenticating http proxy?

Patrice Godard
Thanks for your reply,

First here are my proxy settings (I double-checked them and this machine is using this proxy for other tasks):
XWIKI_OPTS="$XWIKI_OPTS -Dhttp.proxyHost=myProxyHost -Dhttp.proxyPort=3128 -Dhttp.proxyUserName=myUser -Dhttp.proxyPassword=MyPassword"

Then here is part of the stacktrace I get when I try to add an extension via the admin page:

--------------------------
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Failed to request [http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/rest/repository/search?start=0&number=20&q=]
        at org.xwiki.extension.repository.xwiki.internal.XWikiExtensionRepository.getRESTResource(XWikiExtensionRepository.java:110) ~[xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-handler-3.4.jar:na]
        at org.xwiki.extension.repository.xwiki.internal.XWikiExtensionRepository.getRESTResourceAsStream(XWikiExtensionRepository.java:122) ~[xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-handler-3.4.jar:na]
        at org.xwiki.extension.repository.xwiki.internal.XWikiExtensionRepository.search(XWikiExtensionRepository.java:229) ~[xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-handler-3.4.jar:na]
        ... 160 common frames omitted
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method) ~[na:1.6.0_18]
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:310) ~[na:1.6.0_18]
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:176) ~[na:1.6.0_18]
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:163) ~[na:1.6.0_18]
        at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:384) ~[na:1.6.0_18]
        at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:546) ~[na:1.6.0_18]
        at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:495) ~[na:1.6.0_18]
        at java.net.Socket.(Socket.java:392) ~[na:1.6.0_18]
        at java.net.Socket.(Socket.java:266) ~[na:1.6.0_18]
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.createSocket(DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.java:80) ~[commons-httpclient-3.1.jar:na]
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.createSocket(DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.java:122) ~[commons-httpclient-3.1.jar:na]
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.open(HttpConnection.java:707) ~[commons-httpclient-3.1.jar:na]

> Message du 16/02/12 15:45
> De : "Thomas Mortagne"
> A : "XWiki Users"
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [xwiki-users] how to use xwiki behind an authenticating httpproxy?
>
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Patrice Godard
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to set-up xwiki for my company but I have an issue with our authenticating http proxy which prevents me to install additionnal plugins into xwiki.
> >
> > I searched the FAQ and mailing list archives but could not find a reference to how to use xwiki behind an authenticating proxy (I could only find information on how to use it behind a reverse proxy).
> >
> > I tried to setup the usual JVM properties http.proxyHost, port, username and password but xwiki does not seem to use them.
> > The error stacktrace shows a connection timeout in the HttpClient classes.
>
> Could you provide the complete stack trace since there is actually
> several codes using httpclient.
>

> > So I'd be glad to know if xwiki can be used behind such a proxy, because it's currently a showstopper for us (and I REALLY would like to use xwiki instead of mediawiki).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Patrice
> >

> > Une messagerie gratuite, garantie à vie et des services en plus, ça vous tente ?
> > Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net

Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net

Re: how to use xwiki behind an authenticating http proxy?

Looks like HttpClient does not take into account http.proxy* system
properties by default so they are indeed useless here.

I just created http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-7544, will be
quickly fixed (probably next week).

Thanks for the report.

In the meantime if the extension you want to install is on a Maven
repository you can try to install it using "Advanced Install". The
Maven repository connector does not use HTTPClient but Aether which
maybe takes theses property into account (will check that also when I
will work on XWIKI-7544).

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Patrice Godard
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > The error stacktrace shows a connection timeout in the HttpClient classes.
>>
>> Could you provide the complete stack trace since there is actually
>> several codes using httpclient.
>>

>> > So I'd be glad to know if xwiki can be used behind such a proxy, because it's currently a showstopper for us (and I REALLY would like to use xwiki instead of mediawiki).
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Patrice
>> >

>> > Une messagerie gratuite, garantie à vie et des services en plus, ça vous tente ?
>> > Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net

>> Thomas Mortagne
>>

> Une messagerie gratuite, garantie à vie et des services en plus, ça vous tente ?
> Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net

Re: how to use xwiki behind an authenticating http proxy?

I'll try the advanced install ASAP.
I found out that I can download extensions from the web site so maybe I can also drop them manually in the extensions folder? (could not find any information about installing extensions offline in the admin guide, that's just my guess).

Patrice

> [...]
> >         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.open(HttpConnection.java:707) ~[commons-httpclient-3.1.jar:na]
> >

> >> Message du 16/02/12 15:45
> >> De : "Thomas Mortagne"
> >> A : "XWiki Users"
> >> Copie à :
> >> Objet : Re: [xwiki-users] how to use xwiki behind an authenticating httpproxy?

> >> Could you provide the complete stack trace since there is actually
> >> several codes using httpclient.

> >> --
> >> Thomas Mortagne
> >>

> > Une messagerie gratuite, garantie à vie et des services en plus, ça vous tente ?
> > Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net

Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net

Re: how to use xwiki behind an authenticating http proxy?

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Patrice Godard
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> I'll try the advanced install ASAP.
> I found out that I can download extensions from the web site so maybe I can also drop them manually in the extensions folder? (could not find any information about installing extensions offline in the admin guide, that's just my guess).

To install it, it depends what kind of extension you have:
* xar file: go to administration -> import and import the xar file
* jar file: put it in WEB-INF/lib/ folder (which already contains a
lot of jar files)

Each extension is supposed to provide "Installation Instructions" on
extensions.xwiki.org. Which one is it ?

> [...]
>> >         at java.net.Socket.(Socket.java:392) ~[na:1.6.0_18]
>> >         at java.net.Socket.(Socket.java:266) ~[na:1.6.0_18]
>> >         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.createSocket(DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.java:80) ~[commons-httpclient-3.1.jar:na]
>> >         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.createSocket(DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.java:122) ~[commons-httpclient-3.1.jar:na]
>> >         at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.open(HttpConnection.java:707) ~[commons-httpclient-3.1.jar:na]

>> > Une messagerie gratuite, garantie à vie et des services en plus, ça vous tente ?
>> > Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net

>> Thomas Mortagne
>>

> Une messagerie gratuite, garantie à vie et des services en plus, ça vous tente ?
> Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net

Re: how to use xwiki behind an authenticating http proxy?

Roman Muntyanu
Hello Patrice,

  If you're using Linux box you can also try using the workaround that works (yet unstable) for me
  I had similar issues so what has helped me is one of the following

  Option 1. Edit /etc/environment paste following lines
    ftp_proxy=http://myUser:MyPassword@myProxyHost:3128/
    http_proxy=http://myUser:MyPassword@myProxyHost:3128/

  Option 2. Run following commands
    export http_proxy=http://myUser:MyPassword@myProxyHost:3128/
    export ftp_proxy=http://myUser:MyPassword@myProxyHost:3128/

  (It's better to restart the container just in case after the changes)

  Don't remember now which one has actually helped, but anyways good that you've helped to identify a bug.

  Regards,
Roman