impressive set of features...

Brill Pappin-3
Hello,

Just discovered XWiki... very impressive set of features, but the
installation leaves something to be desired, even for someone
experianced with installing webapps of this nature.

Couple of questions:
- Do you (the developers) need someone to help with configuration
management and packaging?
- Have you thought of using Maven for your build environment?
- When is the lic expected to change to LGPL?

- Brill Pappin

Re: impressive set of features...

zuzur
Hey ! thanks for the compliment.

The problem with working on configuration and build management is that
it's usually a one shot job. Once an installation is running, you
don't need to tweak the configuration much, reducing the value (and
visibility, in the OSS world) of your changes. So most of the time,
there are much higher priorities for anyone working on the project ...

Of course we are looking at switching to Maven (Vincent Massol is
pushing us hard) and help with configuration management would be very
appreciated. Speaking for myself, i don't have much experience with
JMX, i find having to edit WEB-INF/xwiki.cfg and hibernate.cfg.xml in
the webapps directory a major PITA. We should just have to drop the
war into the appropriate directory, and configure some resources and
datasources in the application engine !

Anyway, any help on this side would be greatly appreciated !

Erwan

On 12/4/05, Brill Pappin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just discovered XWiki... very impressive set of features, but the
> installation leaves something to be desired, even for someone
> experianced with installing webapps of this nature.
>
> Couple of questions:
> - Do you (the developers) need someone to help with configuration
> management and packaging?
> - Have you thought of using Maven for your build environment?
> - When is the lic expected to change to LGPL?
>
> - Brill Pappin

Re: impressive set of features...

Brill Pappin-3
Sorry it took so long to get back...
I'd really love to deploy the app but definitly want an easier way to
do it if only for maintinance (but also because I'm one of those
people who is always updating to the latest unstable build).

I'll see if I can make some time to start working on it... it might be
a slightly painful experience, but well worth it once everything is
running.

- Brill Pappin

On 12/5/05, Erwan Arzur <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey ! thanks for the compliment.
>
> The problem with working on configuration and build management is that
> it's usually a one shot job. Once an installation is running, you
> don't need to tweak the configuration much, reducing the value (and
> visibility, in the OSS world) of your changes. So most of the time,
> there are much higher priorities for anyone working on the project ...
>
> Of course we are looking at switching to Maven (Vincent Massol is
> pushing us hard) and help with configuration management would be very
> appreciated. Speaking for myself, i don't have much experience with
> JMX, i find having to edit WEB-INF/xwiki.cfg and hibernate.cfg.xml in
> the webapps directory a major PITA. We should just have to drop the
> war into the appropriate directory, and configure some resources and
> datasources in the application engine !
>
> Anyway, any help on this side would be greatly appreciated !
>
> Erwan
>
> On 12/4/05, Brill Pappin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Just discovered XWiki... very impressive set of features, but the
> > installation leaves something to be desired, even for someone
> > experianced with installing webapps of this nature.
> >
> > Couple of questions:
> > - Do you (the developers) need someone to help with configuration
> > management and packaging?
> > - Have you thought of using Maven for your build environment?
> > - When is the lic expected to change to LGPL?
> >
> > - Brill Pappin

FCKEditor

Youcef Bey
Hi all,

Are there a possibility to integrate FCKEdior (Wysiwyg editor) under XWiki .

Thanks in advance.

-------------
Youcef Bey,
Graduate School of Advanced Studies,
Tokyo

Re: FCKEditor

Sascha Österle
Hi,

there is already a wysiwyg editor integrated into the latest developer
version and in the "standalone" package by Sébastien Gaïde.

Have a look at
http://forge.objectweb.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=170 .

If you try the standalone package. a) Start it. b) in the more actions
menu click xwiki-preferences c)choose editing and then "wysiwyg" and
your done.

Rgds,
Sascha

Youcef BEY wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Are there a possibility to integrate FCKEdior (Wysiwyg editor) under XWiki .
>
> Thanks in advance.

> -------------
> Youcef Bey,
> Graduate School of Advanced Studies,
> Tokyo

Re: FCKEditor

Youcef Bey
Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply, which I deeply appreciate it.

> there is already a wysiwyg editor integrated into the latest developer
> version and in the "standalone" package by Sébastien Gaïde.

In fact, I know that XWiki has a wysiwyg editor (HTMLArea) but not enhanced
like FCKEditor (http://www.fckeditor.net/). There are more and more
functionalities like word text processing in this editor.

Are there an attempt to integrate it or not before.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers
-------------------
Graduate School of Advanced Studies,
Tokyo

> Have a look at
> http://forge.objectweb.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=170 .
>
> If you try the standalone package. a) Start it. b) in the more actions
> menu click xwiki-preferences c)choose editing and then "wysiwyg" and
> your done.
>
> Rgds,
> Sascha
>
> Youcef BEY wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Are there a possibility to integrate FCKEdior (Wysiwyg editor) under
XWiki .

> > Thanks in advance.

> > -------------
> > Youcef Bey,
> > Graduate School of Advanced Studies,
> > Tokyo

Re: FCKEditor

The editor Sascha has been talking about is a replacement for HTMLArea.
It is based on TinyMCE and includes Wiki Syntax conversion.

The use of HTMLArea or any other WYSIWYG editor without conversion of
syntax make it unusable for wikis because of the incompatibility with
other features of XWiki (like scripting or good versioning) and the
impossibility to revert back to the simple Wiki editor. It was chosen to
have a converting editor which was based on TinyMCE because TinyMCE
includes features to have compatible HTML in different browsers. This
has been developed during a Google Summer of Code project. The link and
attachment features of the editor have been connected to the attachment
feature of XWiki and it is now possible to include an image in the page
in a single wizard.

This method of converting also implies that not all features of WYSIWYG
editor are possible to implement. Anyway for usability of wikis it is
currently not a good idea to add to many presentation features in the
wiki.. The editing should stay quite simple with basic presentation
features. The power of the wiki is in the content and the links between
the different content, not in the presentation.

Still improvements are needed to the editor, and in particular support
for tables. Other interesting things can be done, like including the
spell checker.

Ludovic