monitor XWiki

pierrick.bena
Hi everybody ,

I have deployed my XWiki (version 3.5.1) with Tomcat and I have
currently a big problem : Tomcat crashes weekly and I can't find the
origin of the problem. I have searched a solution inside Tomcat's log
but there is nothing useful I could use to solve this. So I tried to
use javamelody in order to monitor my XWiki instance
(http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Monitoring). I can
have useful information with this tool, however when my Tomcat crashes,
I loose registered datas of java melody and so I can't know the
situation just before the crash.

So this is my question : is it possible to keep javamelody's data even
after a crash ?

Thanks!

Regards, Pierrick

Re: monitor XWiki

On Oct 18, 2013, at 2:53 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi everybody ,
>
> I have deployed my XWiki (version 3.5.1) with Tomcat and I have currently a big problem : Tomcat crashes weekly and I can't find the origin of the problem. I have searched a solution inside Tomcat's log but there is nothing useful I could use to solve this. So I tried to use javamelody in order to monitor my XWiki instance (http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Monitoring). I can have useful information with this tool, however when my Tomcat crashes, I loose registered datas of java melody and so I can't know the situation just before the crash.
>
> So this is my question : is it possible to keep javamelody's data even after a crash ?

See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/javamelody/1ouOSqALkdE which can give you some ideas.

There's maybe a way to configure javamelody to tell it where to save its data.

For your problem I'd check the memory usage over time to verify you don't crash because of a memory leak.

Note that it's good to do automatic restarts for any app. We do that in production with a cronjob that tries to call the xwiki home page and if it doesn't respond for 30 seconds (for ex) , restarts xwiki.