on new rendering

rrodrigueznt
Hi all,

Since almost two years ago you has done a lot of work to develop the new
rendering system based on components. I can found two documents I'd been
following to understand how this work has been done and what was its
development state. Those are:

http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewRenderingArchitecture

and

http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Configuration#HCustomizingthePDFexportLook26Feel

I am trying now to catch up with this thread due mainly to two reasons:

* At least a couple of new XWiki installations will be made public in
the following weeks. It seems logical to use the last available version
and take profit of all the new features. We do need to serve XWiki pages
rendered as plain text. This was simple done working with XWiki 1.0
syntax. It seems to work the same way while working with XE 2.0m1 when
using XWiki 1.0 syntax, but xpage=plain it is not enough when working
with XWiki 2.0 syntax. I've read a number of thread related with issue
in the devs list and, if I've well understood, there will be new
parameters introduced in 2.0m2 to

* We do need to control at least rtf and pdf outputs.

So, please, are these two links still valid to follow the development of
the new rendering architecture and how it affects/will affect the
production of rtf and/or pdf files? What other locations I must follow,
if any, to follow this development?

I hope I've been able to explain what I am trying to do!

All the best!

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: on new rendering

Hi Ricardo,

Cool that you're back :)

On Jul 16, 2009, at 12:33 AM, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network
ICT Team wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since almost two years ago you has done a lot of work to develop the
> new
> rendering system based on components. I can found two documents I'd
> been
> following to understand how this work has been done and what was its
> development state. Those are:
>
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewRenderingArchitecture

This was fro design. It has now been implemented.

See http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Modules/RenderingModule

> and
>
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Configuration#HCustomizingthePDFexportLook26Feel

This is still valid since we haven't created PDF/RTF renderers using
the new architecture yet. PDF/RTF output is still based on rendered
HTML content.

> I am trying now to catch up with this thread due mainly to two
> reasons:
>
> * At least a couple of new XWiki installations will be made public in
> the following weeks. It seems logical to use the last available
> version
> and take profit of all the new features. We do need to serve XWiki
> pages
> rendered as plain text. This was simple done working with XWiki 1.0
> syntax. It seems to work the same way while working with XE 2.0m1 when
> using XWiki 1.0 syntax, but xpage=plain it is not enough when working
> with XWiki 2.0 syntax. I've read a number of thread related with issue
> in the devs list and, if I've well understood, there will be new
> parameters introduced in 2.0m2 to

Yes. The plain text renderer exists in 2.0M1 but there's no URL
parameter to call it. This was introduced in 2.0M2. I don't know if
Thomas as documented it on xwiki.org yet. Thomas?

> * We do need to control at least rtf and pdf outputs.
>

> So, please, are these two links still valid to follow the
> development of
> the new rendering architecture and how it affects/will affect the
> production of rtf and/or pdf files? What other locations I must
> follow,
> if any, to follow this development?
>
> I hope I've been able to explain what I am trying to do!
>
> All the best!

Re: on new rendering

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 08:55, Vincent Massol<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ricardo,
>
> Cool that you're back :)
>
> On Jul 16, 2009, at 12:33 AM, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network
> ICT Team wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Since almost two years ago you has done a lot of work to develop the
>> new
>> rendering system based on components. I can found two documents I'd
>> been
>> following to understand how this work has been done and what was its
>> development state. Those are:
>>
>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewRenderingArchitecture
>
> This was fro design. It has now been implemented.
>
> See http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Modules/RenderingModule
>

>> and
>>
>> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Configuration#HCustomizingthePDFexportLook26Feel
>
> This is still valid since we haven't created PDF/RTF renderers using
> the new architecture yet. PDF/RTF output is still based on rendered
> HTML content.
>
>> I am trying now to catch up with this thread due mainly to two
>> reasons:
>>
>> * At least a couple of new XWiki installations will be made public in
>> the following weeks. It seems logical to use the last available
>> version
>> and take profit of all the new features. We do need to serve XWiki
>> pages
>> rendered as plain text. This was simple done working with XWiki 1.0
>> syntax. It seems to work the same way while working with XE 2.0m1 when
>> using XWiki 1.0 syntax, but xpage=plain it is not enough when working
>> with XWiki 2.0 syntax. I've read a number of thread related with issue
>> in the devs list and, if I've well understood, there will be new
>> parameters introduced in 2.0m2 to
>
> Yes. The plain text renderer exists in 2.0M1 but there's no URL
> parameter to call it. This was introduced in 2.0M2. I don't know if
> Thomas as documented it on xwiki.org yet. Thomas?

I just added some documentation on
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/URL+resolution#HQuerystring

>> * We do need to control at least rtf and pdf outputs.
>>

>> So, please, are these two links still valid to follow the
>> development of
>> the new rendering architecture and how it affects/will affect the
>> production of rtf and/or pdf files? What other locations I must
>> follow,
>> if any, to follow this development?
>>
>> I hope I've been able to explain what I am trying to do!
>>
>> All the best!

Re: on new rendering

rrodrigueznt
Hi!

Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi Ricardo,
>
> Cool that you're back :)

I am truly happy of being here again. I missed you! :-)

>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewRenderingArchitecture
>>

> This was fro design. It has now been implemented.
>
> See http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Modules/RenderingModule

Ok. I am not familiar with the new look and feel of the multi virtual
wiki environment. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
>> and
>>
>> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Configuration#HCustomizingthePDFexportLook26Feel
>>

> This is still valid since we haven't created PDF/RTF renderers using
> the new architecture yet. PDF/RTF output is still based on rendered
> HTML content.

Some months ago we hace tried to modified the PDF and RTF output without
much success. There are several threads in the lists related with this
topic. I guess that this path directs us towards a dead end and that it
is advisable to face how to "componentize" the PDF and RTF renderers.
Please, is there any work done on this?

I found this:

Create PDF Renderer
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-2955

Create RTF Renderer
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-2956

Thomas closed the plain text renderer Jira Issue.

Is this page to entry point to this topic?

http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Modules/RenderingModule#HAddinganewSyntax
> Yes. The plain text renderer exists in 2.0M1 but there's no URL
> parameter to call it. This was introduced in 2.0M2. I don't know if
> Thomas as documented it on xwiki.org yet. Thomas?
Thanks. I should have been able to read this out of XWIKI-3413. Thomas,
thanks for documenting it.

Greetings,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: on new rendering

On Jul 17, 2009, at 12:46 AM, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network
ICT Team wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Vincent Massol wrote:
>> Hi Ricardo,
>>
>> Cool that you're back :)
>
> I am truly happy of being here again. I missed you! :-)
>>>
>>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/NewRenderingArchitecture
>>>

>> This was fro design. It has now been implemented.
>>
>> See http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Modules/RenderingModule
>>

> Ok. I am not familiar with the new look and feel of the multi virtual
> wiki environment. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
>>> and
>>>
>>> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Configuration#HCustomizingthePDFexportLook26Feel
>>>

>> This is still valid since we haven't created PDF/RTF renderers using
>> the new architecture yet. PDF/RTF output is still based on rendered
>> HTML content.
>>

> Some months ago we hace tried to modified the PDF and RTF output
> without
> much success. There are several threads in the lists related with this
> topic. I guess that this path directs us towards a dead end and that
> it
> is advisable to face how to "componentize" the PDF and RTF renderers.
> Please, is there any work done on this?
>
> I found this:
>
> Create PDF Renderer
> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-2955
>
> Create RTF Renderer
> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-2956

These are "future" and not planned anytime soon (unless someone sends
a patch). Even if we implement them we'll probably use the same
strategy (text --> HTML --> PDF/RTF). I'd also like to quickly assess
using iText API directly (my only question is how to handle HTML
macros in this case).

> Thomas closed the plain text renderer Jira Issue.
>
> Is this page to entry point to this topic?
>
> http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Modules/RenderingModule#HAddinganewSyntax

Nope. This is a new Renderer not a new Parser.
I've just added basic information on http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Modules/RenderingModule#HAddinganewRenderer

>> Yes. The plain text renderer exists in 2.0M1 but there's no URL
>> parameter to call it. This was introduced in 2.0M2. I don't know if
>> Thomas as documented it on xwiki.org yet. Thomas?
> Thanks. I should have been able to read this out of XWIKI-3413.
> Thomas,
> thanks for documenting it.
>

> Greetings,
>
> Ricardo

Re: on new rendering

rrodrigueznt
Hi!

Vincent Massol wrote:

> These are "future" and not planned anytime soon (unless someone sends
> a patch). Even if we implement them we'll probably use the same
> strategy (text --> HTML --> PDF/RTF). I'd also like to quickly assess
> using iText API directly (my only question is how to handle HTML
> macros in this case).

OK. I've found what it seems to be goof references for iText API.
Although I can not understand now why do we need HTML between text and
PDF/RTF, I keep catching up with this issue.

> Nope. This is a new Renderer not a new Parser.
> I've just added basic information on http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Modules/RenderingModule#HAddinganewRenderer

OK too! I got the point. I've attached a couple of new files to
Modules.RenderingModule trying to get an HTML image map to link some
documents to boxes in rendering.png, but it seems to me that I've done
something wrong, or something is doing wrong at code.xwiki.org.

I've seen this before: when I try to access directly an image, the
systems seems to hang or at least it takes ages to serve the picture.
Does this make any sense for you? Thanks!

Cheers,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: on new rendering

rrodrigueznt
Hi!

Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>> Yes. The plain text renderer exists in 2.0M1 but there's no URL
>> parameter to call it. This was introduced in 2.0M2. I don't know if
>> Thomas as documented it on xwiki.org yet. Thomas?
>>

> I just added some documentation on
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/URL+resolution#HQuerystring

Please, must be able to use outputSyntax and outputSyntaxVersion with
the new XWiki Enterprise 2.0-milestone-2.22241?

For pages composed using XWiki 2.0, I am not able to get a plain text
out. I keep getting HTML code in the output. Please, how must I use the
newly introduced parameters?

Thanks for your help,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: on new rendering

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 01:21, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network
ICT Team<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>>> Yes. The plain text renderer exists in 2.0M1 but there's no URL
>>> parameter to call it. This was introduced in 2.0M2. I don't know if
>>> Thomas as documented it on xwiki.org yet. Thomas?
>>>

>> I just added some documentation on
>> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/URL+resolution#HQuerystring
>
> Please, must be able to use outputSyntax and outputSyntaxVersion with
> the new XWiki Enterprise 2.0-milestone-2.22241?
>
> For pages composed using XWiki 2.0, I am not able to get a plain text
> out. I keep getting HTML code in the output. Please, how must I use the
> newly introduced parameters?

Yes it's supposed to be in 2.0M2, did you tried putting
?outputSyntax=plain&xpage=plain at the end of your URL ?

For example: http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/view/Space/Page?outputSyntax=plain&xpage=plain

outputSyntax indicate how to render the page content and xpage=plain
indicate to render only the page content.

I modified the doc to make more clear that outputSyntax is only for
the document content.

> Thanks for your help,
>
> Ricardo
>
> --
> Ricardo Rodríguez
> Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: on new rendering

rrodrigueznt
Thanks Thomas,

Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> Yes it's supposed to be in 2.0M2, did you tried putting
> ?outputSyntax=plain&xpage=plain at the end of your URL ?
>
> For example: http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/view/Space/Page?outputSyntax=plain&xpage=plain
>
> outputSyntax indicate how to render the page content and xpage=plain
> indicate to render only the page content.
>
> I modified the doc to make more clear that outputSyntax is only for
> the document content.

I did something wrong and didn't get a result. It is working fine.
Thanks for modifying the concerned document.

I've found now a kind of "side effect" of the new XWiki Syntax 2.0
Embedded documents feature.

Please, consider these two lines:

**
xp=c(leftE(yr),rev(rightE(yr)))
yp=c(yr,rev(yr))
**

By default, they are renderized as...

**
xp=c(leftE(yr),rev(rightE(yr

yp=c(yr,rev(yr))
**

I get the same output when using *?xpage=plain&outputSyntax=plain*

Please, could you figure out any way of avoiding this? Thanks!

I've used the playground to make some experiments with this ))) chain.
Working with 2.0 m1 there, they are renderized as a return and once you
save changes you lost them. I mean, next time you edit the document, you
will get a return instead of the ))) chain. This doesn't happen with 2.0
m2: they are renderized as a return, but is you save the document and
edit it again, the three ) are still there.

Thanks for your help,

Ricardo

Greetings,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: on new rendering

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 12:41, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network
ICT Team<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Thomas,
>
> Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>> Yes it's supposed to be in 2.0M2, did you tried putting
>> ?outputSyntax=plain&xpage=plain at the end of your URL ?
>>
>> For example: http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/view/Space/Page?outputSyntax=plain&xpage=plain
>>
>> outputSyntax indicate how to render the page content and xpage=plain
>> indicate to render only the page content.
>>
>> I modified the doc to make more clear that outputSyntax is only for
>> the document content.
>
> I did something wrong and didn't get a result. It is working fine.
> Thanks for modifying the concerned document.
>
> I've found now a kind of "side effect" of the new XWiki Syntax 2.0
> Embedded documents feature.
>
> Please, consider these two lines:
>
> **
> xp=c(leftE(yr),rev(rightE(yr)))
> yp=c(yr,rev(yr))
> **
>
> By default, they are renderized as...
>
> **
> xp=c(leftE(yr),rev(rightE(yr
>
> yp=c(yr,rev(yr))
> **
>
> I get the same output when using *?xpage=plain&outputSyntax=plain*
>
> Please, could you figure out any way of avoiding this? Thanks!
>
> I've used the playground to make some experiments with this ))) chain.
> Working with 2.0 m1 there, they are renderized as a return and once you
> save changes you lost them. I mean, next time you edit the document, you
> will get a return instead of the ))) chain. This doesn't happen with 2.0
> m2: they are renderized as a return, but is you save the document and
> edit it again, the three ) are still there.

It's not a printing issue but a parsing issue I think, ))) is wiki
syntax (even if in this case ))) should not be interpreted since there
is no ((( before so it looks like a bug in the parser).

If you want to make sure what you put is not parsed you can use
verbatim syntax {{{ }}}. See
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax#HVerbatim.

> Thanks for your help,
>
> Ricardo
>
> Greetings,
>
> Ricardo
>
> --
> Ricardo Rodríguez
> Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: on new rendering

rrodrigueznt
Thanks, Thomas,

Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> It's not a printing issue but a parsing issue I think, ))) is wiki
> syntax (even if in this case ))) should not be interpreted since there
> is no ((( before so it looks like a bug in the parser).
>
> If you want to make sure what you put is not parsed you can use
> verbatim syntax {{{ }}}. See
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax#HVerbatim.

The verbatim syntax did the trick. Is it worth a Jira issue warning
about this behavior?

Cheers,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: on new rendering

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 01:07, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network
ICT Team<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Thomas,
>
> Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>>

>> It's not a printing issue but a parsing issue I think, ))) is wiki
>> syntax (even if in this case ))) should not be interpreted since there
>> is no ((( before so it looks like a bug in the parser).
>>
>> If you want to make sure what you put is not parsed you can use
>> verbatim syntax {{{ }}}. See
>> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax#HVerbatim.
>>

> The verbatim syntax did the trick. Is it worth a Jira issue warning
> about this behavior?

No, this is a normal behaviour so it's not an issue but it maybe can
goes to http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/URL+resolution#HQuerystring
that the option is not about how to parse but about how to render.
Most of the time you generate with a velocity macro or some other
scripting the JSON to return so you have to parse and execute the
source.

> Cheers,
>
> Ricardo
>
> --
> Ricardo Rodríguez
> Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: on new rendering

rrodrigueznt

Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> No, this is a normal behaviour so it's not an issue but it maybe can
> goes to http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/URL+resolution#HQuerystring
> that the option is not about how to parse but about how to render.
> Most of the time you generate with a velocity macro or some other
> scripting the JSON to return so you have to parse and execute the
> source.

I am afraid I am a bit lost.

I can understand that this is not a render issue, but a parser one. Here
I am again facing the issue of being able to capture the intermediate
states from the source to the rendered output! I will catch up!

But the fact of having three closing parenthesis, ))), being evaluated
when no open equivalence exists, it is or it is not a bug?

Please, accept my apologies if I did't understand what you said in your
first reply.

As for JSON, it is used to move any textual input in a given syntax into
DOM elements. This is called to parse the textual input. Please, is this
correct?

Thanks for your help,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: on new rendering

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 17:23, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network
ICT Team<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>>
>> No, this is a normal behaviour so it's not an issue but it maybe can
>> goes to http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/URL+resolution#HQuerystring
>> that the option is not about how to parse but about how to render.
>> Most of the time you generate with a velocity macro or some other
>> scripting the JSON to return so you have to parse and execute the
>> source.
>
> I am afraid I am a bit lost.
>
> I can understand that this is not a render issue, but a parser one. Here
> I am again facing the issue of being able to capture the intermediate
> states from the source to the rendered output! I will catch up!
>
> But the fact of having three closing parenthesis, ))), being evaluated
> when no open equivalence exists, it is or it is not a bug?

Sorry I though you where speak of the fact that the source is
interpreted by the parser when you have outputSyntax=plain. Yes
specific the ))) behavior looks like a bug for sure so it could be
great if you could create a jira issue about that.

> Please, accept my apologies if I did't understand what you said in your
> first reply.

Please accept mine ;)

> As for JSON, it is used to move any textual input in a given syntax into
> DOM elements. This is called to parse the textual input. Please, is this
> correct?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Ricardo
>
> --
> Ricardo Rodríguez
> Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: on new rendering

rrodrigueznt

Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>  Yes specific the ))) behavior looks like a bug for sure so it could be
> great if you could create a jira issue about that.

Done!

http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-4130

Greetings,

--