owner in XWikiServerClass

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

owner in XWikiServerClass

rrodrigueznt
Hi all,

I'm facing here some troubles while setting up virtual wikis by hand and
would like to understand how this feature work.

In XWikiServerClass we add two properties: server and owner. The role
and functioning of server is far clear. I also understand owner as a
neat need: "the owner user of the Virtual XWiki; for example
XWiki.Admin" as stated in
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Virtualization#HByhand,
or "the user that should automatically have admin rights on your new
virtual wiki (example XWiki.admin)" as in
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/FAQ/HowToSetupVirtualWikis.

But I've configured a number of virtual wikis here and I am not able to
find their owners anywhere. Neither in the controller database, nor in
their own databases.

Please, where these owner users are created? Thanks!

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: owner in XWikiServerClass

rrodrigueznt
[Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT Team wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm facing here some troubles while setting up virtual wikis by hand and
> would like to understand how this feature work.
>
> In XWikiServerClass we add two properties: server and owner. The role
> and functioning of server is far clear. I also understand owner as a
> neat need: "the owner user of the Virtual XWiki; for example
> XWiki.Admin" as stated in
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Virtualization#HByhand,
> or "the user that should automatically have admin rights on your new
> virtual wiki (example XWiki.admin)" as in
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/FAQ/HowToSetupVirtualWikis.
>
> But I've configured a number of virtual wikis here and I am not able to
> find their owners anywhere. Neither in the controller database, nor in
> their own databases.
>
> Please, where these owner users are created? Thanks!
>
> Ricardo
>
>  
I've tried to delete all owner values in my virtual wikis. Even to
create new virtual wikis with this property empty. I've not tried with a
XWikiServerClass without it.

Please, could anybody confirm that the content of this property is no
longer used in the set up of a virtual wiki?

I will modify accordingly the concerned pages in the documentation. I
will also create the related JIRA issue.

Regards,

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: owner in XWikiServerClass

Thomas Mortagne
Administrator
Hi,

the owner property of XWikiServerClass is a main wiki user that will
have all rights in the virtual wiki your XWikiServer* document
describe. Said another way, this will not create a new user but "give"
a virtual wiki to an existing global user.

2008/1/23, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT Team
<[hidden email]>:

> [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT Team wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm facing here some troubles while setting up virtual wikis by hand and
> > would like to understand how this feature work.
> >
> > In XWikiServerClass we add two properties: server and owner. The role
> > and functioning of server is far clear. I also understand owner as a
> > neat need: "the owner user of the Virtual XWiki; for example
> > XWiki.Admin" as stated in
> > http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Virtualization#HByhand,
> > or "the user that should automatically have admin rights on your new
> > virtual wiki (example XWiki.admin)" as in
> > http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/FAQ/HowToSetupVirtualWikis.
> >
> > But I've configured a number of virtual wikis here and I am not able to
> > find their owners anywhere. Neither in the controller database, nor in
> > their own databases.
> >
> > Please, where these owner users are created? Thanks!
> >
> > Ricardo
> >
> >
> I've tried to delete all owner values in my virtual wikis. Even to
> create new virtual wikis with this property empty. I've not tried with a
> XWikiServerClass without it.
>
> Please, could anybody confirm that the content of this property is no
> longer used in the set up of a virtual wiki?
>
> I will modify accordingly the concerned pages in the documentation. I
> will also create the related JIRA issue.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Ricardo Rodríguez
> Your EPEC Network ICT Team
>
> _______________________________________________
> devs mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
>


--
Thomas Mortagne
_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: owner in XWikiServerClass

Ricardo Rodríguez-2
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Thus, please, what is the role of this owner user? I have tried by changing the content of this property and even by leaving it empty and these actions seem don't affect the access to virtual wikis. Thanks.

Thomas Mortagne wrote
Hi,

the owner property of XWikiServerClass is a main wiki user that will
have all rights in the virtual wiki your XWikiServer* document
describe. Said another way, this will not create a new user but "give"
a virtual wiki to an existing global user.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: owner in XWikiServerClass

Thomas Mortagne
Administrator
In reply to this post by Thomas Mortagne
2008/1/24, [Ricardo Rodriguez] <[hidden email]>:

>
>
>
> Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > the owner property of XWikiServerClass is a main wiki user that will
> > have all rights in the virtual wiki your XWikiServer* document
> > describe. Said another way, this will not create a new user but "give"
> > a virtual wiki to an existing global user.
> >
>
> Thus, please, what is the role of this owner user? I have tried by changing
> the content of this property and even by leaving it empty and these actions
> seem don't affect the access to virtual wikis. Thanks.

If you don't set a owner for a wiki, then nobody will have ALL the
rights on the wiki that's all. The wiki will just have "normal" users
with differents rights.

> --
> View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/owner-in-XWikiServerClass-tp15040461p15064034.html
> Sent from the XWiki- Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> devs mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
>


--
Thomas Mortagne
_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: owner in XWikiServerClass

rrodrigueznt
Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> If you don't set a owner for a wiki, then nobody will have ALL the
> rights on the wiki that's all. The wiki will just have "normal" users
> with differents rights.
>  

Thanks, Thomas. But, please, allow me to post some more doubts. I do
hope they are not stupid questions! I am trying to understand the login
process to apply this knowledge to test the proposed LDAPAuthenticater.

   1. What does mean that the owner has ALL the rights on the virtual wiki?
   2. Will the owner been able to log in the virtual wiki without
      needing to create it? Or it is expected that it is created and
      then "inherit" complete control on the wiki?
   3. May I consider the owner as a global user able to log in the
      virtual wiki/wikis he/she own and in the controller?

I know I must be able to find the answer by digging into the code.
Please, give me some more time. Thanks for your patience.

Best,


--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: owner in XWikiServerClass

Thomas Mortagne
Administrator
2008/1/25, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT Team
<[hidden email]>:

> Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> > If you don't set a owner for a wiki, then nobody will have ALL the
> > rights on the wiki that's all. The wiki will just have "normal" users
> > with differents rights.
> >
>
> Thanks, Thomas. But, please, allow me to post some more doubts. I do
> hope they are not stupid questions! I am trying to understand the login
> process to apply this knowledge to test the proposed LDAPAuthenticater.
>
>    1. What does mean that the owner has ALL the rights on the virtual wiki?

This user can do all he wants in the virtual wikis : read/write/delete
any page, configure user/groups rights, etc. and he can't loose theses
rights even if all rights are set as "deny" for him.

>    2. Will the owner been able to log in the virtual wiki without
>       needing to create it? Or it is expected that it is created and
>       then "inherit" complete control on the wiki?
>    3. May I consider the owner as a global user able to log in the
>       virtual wiki/wikis he/she own and in the controller?

Technically this user could be any user in any wiki but in general
it's a wiki controller/main wiki's user.

>
> I know I must be able to find the answer by digging into the code.
> Please, give me some more time. Thanks for your patience.
>
> Best,
>
>
> --
> Ricardo Rodríguez
> Your EPEC Network ICT Team
>
> _______________________________________________
> devs mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
>


--
Thomas Mortagne
_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: owner in XWikiServerClass

rrodrigueznt
Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> This user can do all he wants in the virtual wikis : read/write/delete
> any page, configure user/groups rights, etc. and he can't loose theses
> rights even if all rights are set as "deny" for him.
> Technically this user could be any user in any wiki but in general
> it's a wiki controller/main wiki's user.

Thanks Thomas. Do you consider suitable to add this information to
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Virtualization#HByhand 
? Perhaps a #warning() ? Something like...

#warning(This user can do all he wants in the virtual wikis: read/write/delete any page, configure user/groups rights, etc. and he can't loose these rights even if all rights are set as "deny" for him.
Technically this user could be any user in any wiki but in general it's a wiki controller/main wiki's user.)


If an user, let's say, XWiki.dummy exists in several virtual wikis and
it is set up as owner for one of them, what syntax must I use to tell
the controller what is the one I am referencing to? Thanks!

Cheers,

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: owner in XWikiServerClass

Thomas Mortagne
Administrator
2008/1/28, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT Team
<[hidden email]>:

> Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> > This user can do all he wants in the virtual wikis : read/write/delete
> > any page, configure user/groups rights, etc. and he can't loose theses
> > rights even if all rights are set as "deny" for him.
> > Technically this user could be any user in any wiki but in general
> > it's a wiki controller/main wiki's user.
>
> Thanks Thomas. Do you consider suitable to add this information to
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Virtualization#HByhand
> ? Perhaps a #warning() ? Something like...
>
> #warning(This user can do all he wants in the virtual wikis: read/write/delete any page, configure user/groups rights, etc. and he can't loose these rights even if all rights are set as "deny" for him.
> Technically this user could be any user in any wiki but in general it's a wiki controller/main wiki's user.)

Yes sure feel free to add it, if you need it, it has to be in the
documentation ;)

>
>
> If an user, let's say, XWiki.dummy exists in several virtual wikis and
> it is set up as owner for one of them, what syntax must I use to tell
> the controller what is the one I am referencing to? Thanks!

The real name of a user is wikiname:XWiki.dummy for example as main
wiki is always "xwiki" to be sure it the XWiki.dummy user from main
wiki you can set owner to "xwiki:XWiki.dummy".

>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Ricardo Rodríguez
> Your EPEC Network ICT Team
>
> _______________________________________________
> devs mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
>


--
Thomas Mortagne
_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: owner in XWikiServerClass

rrodrigueznt
Thomas Mortagne wrote:
Yes sure feel free to add it, if you need it, it has to be in the
documentation ;)
The real name of a user is wikiname:XWiki.dummy for example as main
wiki is always "xwiki" to be sure it the XWiki.dummy user from main
wiki you can set owner to "xwiki:XWiki.dummy".
  

Done! Thanks.

Just two simple questions more:

  1. Does this user has programming rights? Nope, as far as I see here. Only Admin user has programming rights on any virtual wiki.
  2. In the string xwiki:XWiki.dummy, are the name of the wiki and the name of the space optional? Are there defaults for these values? I mean...
xwiki:XWiki.dummy = dummy ?

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Ricardo

-- 
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: owner in XWikiServerClass

Thomas Mortagne
Administrator
2008/1/28, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT Team
<[hidden email]>:

>
>  Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>  Yes sure feel free to add it, if you need it, it has to be in the
> documentation ;)
>  The real name of a user is wikiname:XWiki.dummy for example as main
> wiki is always "xwiki" to be sure it the XWiki.dummy user from main
> wiki you can set owner to "xwiki:XWiki.dummy".
>
>
>  Done! Thanks.
>
>  Just two simple questions more:
>
>
>
> Does this user has programming rights? Nope, as far as I see here. Only
> Admin user has programming rights on any virtual wiki.

Owner should have all the right, in fact the way it works when you ask
for any rights to hasAccesLevel method it first test if user is
superadmin/owner and return true if he is.

By default Admin user don't have programming rights. "admin" level
means all rights except "programming". To have "programming" right you
have to explicitly give to Admin programming rights.

> In the string xwiki:XWiki.dummy, are the name of the wiki and the name of
> the space optional? Are there defaults for these values? I mean...
> xwiki:XWiki.dummy = dummy ?

Not exactly:
- the default wiki is the current wiki. If you are in the main wiki
then it's "xwiki"
- yes the default space is XWIKI

>
>  Thanks for your help!
>
>  Best,
>
>  Ricardo
>
>  --
> Ricardo Rodríguez
> Your EPEC Network ICT Team
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> devs mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
>
>


--
Thomas Mortagne
_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: owner in XWikiServerClass

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
In reply to this post by rrodrigueznt
[Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT Team wrote:

> Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>> Yes sure feel free to add it, if you need it, it has to be in the
>> documentation ;)
>> The real name of a user is wikiname:XWiki.dummy for example as main
>> wiki is always "xwiki" to be sure it the XWiki.dummy user from main
>> wiki you can set owner to "xwiki:XWiki.dummy".
>>  
>
> Done! Thanks.
>
> Just two simple questions more:
>
>    1. Does this user has programming rights? Nope, as far as I see here.
>       Only Admin user has programming rights on any virtual wiki.

Programming rights can be granted only to global users, and any global
user can be granted programming rights, not just Admin. There is a task
on the bugtracker for allowing local users programming rights in their
wiki, but it is not implemented yet, and not planned for any time soon.

>    2. In the string xwiki:XWiki.dummy, are the name of the wiki and the
>       name of the space optional? Are there defaults for these values? I
>       mean...
>
> *xwiki:XWiki.dummy = dummy ?*
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Best,
>
> Ricardo
>
_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs