{pre} tags not working

jpalmer-2-2
{pre} tags not working

Greetings,
I'm working on a locally installed XWiki, using the 0.9.840 release. I've got a couple problems with Wiki syntax that I need assistance with.

First, I want to use the {pre} tags around some text, but XWiki seems to be stripping the tags out. For example:

  this {pre}*text*{/pre} sample

...will show up with "text" in bold type. When I edit the page, the {pre} tags are gone.

  this *text* sample

Our XWiki installation is very new. {pre} worked for a while, but then stopped working, making me question whether there was a (system?) change made a some point that caused {pre} to stop working.

I've also got problems where Wiki {table} will turn to HTML the next time the page is edited. Is this related to, or somehow a clue to the {pre} problem?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
John

Re: {pre} tags not working

Ludovic Dubost

Is this in a normal wiki page edit or using forms (in the blog for example).
I've never heard anything about {table} turning to HTML. It seems
similar. I could guess that the editing renders the content before
puting it in the form. Have you modified the "Edit" template, maybe in
your skin ?

Ludovic

[hidden email] a écrit :

> Greetings,
> I'm working on a locally installed XWiki, using the 0.9.840 release.
> I've got a couple problems with Wiki syntax that I need assistance with.
>
> First, I want to use the {pre} tags around some text, but XWiki seems
> to be stripping the tags out. For example:
>
>   this {pre}*text*{/pre} sample
>
> ...will show up with "text" in bold type. When I edit the page, the
> {pre} tags are gone.
>
>   this *text* sample
>
> Our XWiki installation is very new. {pre} worked for a while, but then
> stopped working, making me question whether there was a (system?)
> change made a some point that caused {pre} to stop working.
>
> I've also got problems where Wiki {table} will turn to HTML the next
> time the page is edited. Is this related to, or somehow a clue to the
> {pre} problem?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance,
> John

RE: {pre} tags not working

jpalmer-2-2
RE: [xwiki-users] {pre} tags not working

>From: Ludovic Dubost [[hidden email]]
>Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] {pre} tags not working
>Is this in a normal wiki page edit or using forms (in the blog for example).

These edits are in normal wiki pages.

>I've never heard anything about {table} turning to HTML. It seems similar.
>I could guess that the editing renders the content before puting it in the form.
>Have you modified the "Edit" template, maybe in your skin ?

No modifications to template or skins that I'm aware of. I checked with the guy that did the original installation of XWiki as well.

If it helps, I did these steps which tie the {pre} and {table} symptoms together. I can reproduce the symptoms reliably.

1. Created a new Wiki page. Added a bit of text and a table:

this is great!
{table}
1|2
3|4
{table}

2. Saved page, it rendered as expected. Edit page. Looks normal.
3. Edit page text a bit:

this is *great*!
{table}
1|2
3|4
{table}

4. Saved page, rendered as expected-- 'great' is bold. Edit page. Looks normal.
5. Edit page text a bit more:

this is {pre}*great*{/pre}!
{table}
1|2
3|4
{table}

5. Saved page. 'great' is still bold, {pre} tags not working. When I edit the page, it looks like this:

this is *great*!

I hope this helps.

John

>[hidden email] a écrit :
>
> Greetings,
> I'm working on a locally installed XWiki, using the 0.9.840 release.
> I've got a couple problems with Wiki syntax that I need assistance with.
>
> First, I want to use the {pre} tags around some text, but XWiki seems
> to be stripping the tags out. For example:
>
>   this {pre}*text*{/pre} sample
>
> ...will show up with "text" in bold type. When I edit the page, the
> {pre} tags are gone.
>
>   this *text* sample
>
> Our XWiki installation is very new. {pre} worked for a while, but then
> stopped working, making me question whether there was a (system?)
> change made a some point that caused {pre} to stop working.
>
> I've also got problems where Wiki {table} will turn to HTML the next
> time the page is edited. Is this related to, or somehow a clue to the
> {pre} problem?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance,
> John

RE: {pre} tags not working

jpalmer-2-2
RE: [xwiki-users] {pre} tags not working

>From: Ludovic Dubost [[hidden email]]
>Subject: Re: [xwiki-users] {pre} tags not working
Hi Ludovic,

>Is this in a normal wiki page edit or using forms (in the blog for example).
>I've never heard anything about {table} turning to HTML. It seems
>similar. I could guess that the editing renders the content before
>puting it in the form. Have you modified the "Edit" template, maybe in
>your skin ?

I may have misunderstood your question. I'm still in the 'beginner' stages with XWiki and am not the person who originally set it up at our site, so I'm not familiar with all of the internals.

I have more information on my problem with the {pre} tags.

When we add new pages to our XWiki, we use an entry form on the left Menu bar. The code for adding the new page is:
#includeTopic("XWiki.XWikiCommonJavascript")
<form action="" id="newdoc">
<input type="hidden" name="parent" value="Main.WebHome" />
<input type="hidden" name="template" value="XWiki.ArticleClassTemplate" />
<input type="hidden" name="sheet" value="1" />
<input type="hidden" name="webname" value="Main"/>
<input type="hidden" name="name" value=""/>
<input type="text" name="title" value="" size="18"/>
<input type="button" value="Add this item" onclick='if (updateName(this.form.title,this.form.name)) { action="../../inline/" + this.form.webname.value + "/" + this.form.name.value; this.form.submit(); }' />

</form>

What I learned on Friday, 1/13, is that I can get {pre} to work on new non-existent pages by doing these steps:
1. create a new XWiki entry using the form above
2. on the new page, place a link to a non-existent XWiki page such as: [My New Page>Main.MyNewPage]
3. save the new page
4. click on the blue question mark next to "My New Page" to edit the referenced page

I will get a different edit page, the one with "Basic Syntax" (XWiki syntax) along the right column. If I enter {pre} tags in this editor, they seem to work?!  I think this may be the difference in the forms used, and I think this may be the question you originally asked?

John

Re: {pre} tags not working

Indeed this is in a blog article (a normal wiki page is a page created
using a wiki link [my new page] in a page and then clicking on the '?'
to edit it).
There is a known issue with {pre} tags inside form elements, since
rendering is called twice on form elements..
There is not much that can be done for now

Ludovic