redirecting 302 responses

rrodriguezIDIS
Hi!

I more or less understand how URLs to missing/wrong/moved XWiki pages work involving docdoesnotexist.vm, but I'm still not able to modify this behavior by reading/taking into account values of request/responses exchanges between client and server.

For instance: I would like to redirect a number of "short" URLs like this...

http://www.idisantiago.es/BIS2013

to a set of given XWiki pages. Currently I can, and I did, a redirection of all of them to a single page by modifying Main.DocumentDoesNotExist this way...

{{velocity}}
$response.sendRedirect($xwiki.getURL("BIS2013.Schedule"))
{{/velocity}}

But I'm not able to find the way of using request's name and status in Velocity #if(). Please, see attached file. I found a number of what I consider related information dealing with $response, $request, URL resolution, URL mappings and so on, so forth, but I 'm afraid this is too much for me to digest!

Please, could anybody point me in the right direction? Am I completely lost?

Thanks for your help!!!

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Research Management and Promotion Technician

Nota: A información contida nesta mensaxe e os seus posibles documentos adxuntos é privada e confidencial e está dirixida únicamente ó seu destinatario/a. Se vostede non é o/a destinatario/a orixinal desta mensaxe, por favor elimínea. A distribución ou copia desta mensaxe non está autorizada.

Nota: La información contenida en este mensaje y sus posibles documentos adjuntos es privada y confidencial y está dirigida únicamente a su destinatario/a. Si usted no es el/la destinatario/a original de este mensaje, por favor elimínelo. La distribución o copia de este mensaje no está autorizada.

See more languages: http://www.sergas.es/aviso_confidencialidad.htm

Ricardo Rodríguez
Research Management and Promotion Technician
Technical Secretariat
Health Research Institute of Santiago de Compostela (IDIS)
http://www.idisantiago.es

Re: redirecting 302 responses

rrodriguezIDIS
Oops! Please, see below!

Sorry! I forgot that attachments are filtered out of the list! Here it is the referenced image...

http://www.idisantiago.es/bin/download/ICT/Request/BIS2013.302Response.png

Thanks!

[...]

http://www.idisantiago.es

Re: redirecting 302 responses

Valdis Vītoliņš
Ricardo,
if your intention is to shorten Xwiki URLs permanently,
look at http://odo.lv/Recipes/XwikiShortURLs_en

BTW, I have question to Xwiki developers — why status 302 (found) is
used?
IMHO, to train crawlers for changes, 301 (moved permanently) seems more
appropriate.

Valdis

> Oops! Please, see below!

Thanks, Vladis! Please, read below...

Your solution seems great, but I'm afraid I can't use it now: currently, I've no Apache web server behind the scene. Tomcat is directly serving on port 80. I know this is not a desirable situation, but it is how this server is running right now. So, I keep struggling to find a solution "within" XWiki. Any new idea will be welcome!

http://www.idisantiago.es

Re: redirecting 302 responses

Valdis Vītoliņš
Ricardo, then look also at:
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/ShortURLs

Valdis

> Thanks, Vladis! Please, read below...

Thanks! Please, read below...

I've already used this instructions to shorten a bit URLs. but I we do feel confortable with the /bin part of the URL so far... until I make a mistake and distribute a wrong address in printed material. Thus: I need to find a solution for a single, at least by now, URL. So, please, allow me to give you some more details:

1) Some time ago, playing with the instructions so shorten URL, we had a bad time with our plain old 2.4.30451 server.  At that moment, we felt confortable with URLs like http://www.idisantiago.es/bin/ICT/CSS2, thus we sticked to that configurations.
2) Some weeks ago I distribute by mistake a wrong URL: it doesn't include the /bin part of the URL: this is the mistaken address: http://www.idisantiago.es/BIS2013.
3) By browsing, googling and stuff, I finally understood how to redirect all requests throwing a 302 error, the referenced above among them, to the right address http://www.idisantiago.es/bin/BIS2013: nothing fancy, just a simple $response.sendRedirect($xwiki.getURL("BIS2013.WebHome")) in Main.DocumentDoesNotExist.
4) This solution works fine, but it applies to only to the wrong /BIS2013 address, but to any other URL that doesn't include the struts action. Thus, for instance, all these addresses are redirected to the same place:

http://www.idisantiago.es/dummy
http://www.idisantiago.es/bread
http://www.idisantiago.es/milk
http://www.idisantiago.es/chocolate

All of then are redirected to

http://www.idisantiago.es/bin/BIS2013

5) While reading the conversation between client and server for this request, I see that the first piece of the dialogue includes something like this...

Request URL:http://www.idisantiago.es/chocolate
Request Method:GET
Status Code:302 Moved Temporarily

6) And from this I figure out that it could be possible that, once the server answers the client and says: hei! .../chocolate doesn't exist! I'll invite you to make a new call and retrive Main.DocumentDoesNotExist and it includes $response.sendRedirect($xwiki.getURL("BIS2013.WebHome")), there must be any way of capturing and using the requested URL in an Velocity #if() structure. Something like this...

#if(wrong requested URL is /chocolate)
$response.sendRedirect($xwiki.getURL("BIS2013.WebHome"))
#else
$response.sendRedirect($xwiki.getURL("ICT.WebHome"))
#end

Beyond finding a the solution for this single use case, I'm imaging a database of requested URLs being matched to a set of "valid" ones "the TinyURL way"! :-)

Please, forgive me if this is complete no sense! Any idea, or directly call me stupid if this has no sense at all, we'll be extremely welcome!

Thanks once again,

Ricardo

http://www.idisantiago.es

Re: redirecting 302 responses

rrodriguezIDIS
Hi!

I "temporarily" manage to solve this issue by using...

http://www.tuckey.org/urlrewrite/

As a drawback: the servlet container must be restarted each time a redirection rule is edited.

Perhaps this could be useful for somebody.

Thank you so much for your help,