schema limit

Matthew Conway
I'm running into an issue with the 200K character limit for
xwikidoc.xwd_archive.

Normally, a diff is generated, so this column doesn't grow too big.
However, if the document is always a single long line, the diff is
just that line everytime, and xwd_archive grows very quickly.

Any thoughts on how I can fix this aside from just increasing the limit?

Matt

Re: schema limit

jeremi joslin
On 2/6/06, Matthew Conway <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm running into an issue with the 200K character limit for
> xwikidoc.xwd_archive.
>
> Normally, a diff is generated, so this column doesn't grow too big.
> However, if the document is always a single long line, the diff is
> just that line everytime, and xwd_archive grows very quickly.
>
> Any thoughts on how I can fix this aside from just increasing the limit?
Hi,
I don't know.
We use commons-jrcs of the jakarta project. So you can take a look here.

Jérémi

--
Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724

Re: schema limit

Ludovic Dubost

Actually I think we should increase the limit or at least give installer
a clean warning explaining that a limit has been hit. Then he can clean
up the history of a particular file or extend the limit.
A very old wiki could end up having many many versions and the archive
could grow much more.

Ludovic

jeremi joslin a écrit :

> On 2/6/06, Matthew Conway <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm running into an issue with the 200K character limit for
>> xwikidoc.xwd_archive.
>>
>> Normally, a diff is generated, so this column doesn't grow too big.
>> However, if the document is always a single long line, the diff is
>> just that line everytime, and xwd_archive grows very quickly.
>>
>> Any thoughts on how I can fix this aside from just increasing the limit?
>>
> Hi,
> I don't know.
> We use commons-jrcs of the jakarta project. So you can take a look here.
>
> Jérémi
>
> --
> Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
> http://www.xwiki.org
> skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]

Re: schema limit

Matthew Conway
Increasing the limit is good, but surely there should be some
fallback mechanism when the limit is reached.  Maybe truncating or
moving old archives to their own table or something else.  I think
wikipedia does something like moving archives elsewhere so the recent
ones are still quick, but the old ones are still accessible.  I'm
using postgres, so I just set the column to be of type text which is
unlimited in size, but this will probably have an adverse affect on
performance as it gets large.

Matt