table ids

Matthew Conway
Hi all,

Is there any particular reason the ID columns for xwikidoc are
generated (hashes of doc name) instead of just a sequence?
Its causing us a little grief when we want to do things like rename a
document - copying the doc seems like a hack, and breaks in subtle ways.
I think things would be much cleaner if we could assume an inviolate
id for each document, and would also have the benefit of making
manual sql maintenance task a lot simpler.
Let me know what you think,

Matt

Re: table ids

jeremi joslin
On 4/25/06, Matthew Conway <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there any particular reason the ID columns for xwikidoc are
> generated (hashes of doc name) instead of just a sequence?
> Its causing us a little grief when we want to do things like rename a
> document - copying the doc seems like a hack, and breaks in subtle ways.
> I think things would be much cleaner if we could assume an inviolate
> id for each document, and would also have the benefit of making
> manual sql maintenance task a lot simpler.
> Let me know what you think,
Hi,
I discuss a long time ago about this with Ludovic. We have to change
it to guid, but we never take the time to do it. I think it can be a
good improvement for the next release. The problem is the migration of
the existing database, but we have to do it, it's the source of a lot
of problems.

Feel free to propose a solution.

thanks,
Jérémi

--
Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724

Re: table ids

Ludovic Dubost

We already have some code in a branch which allows to do this.. It need
to be backported to the current code

Ludovic

jeremi joslin a écrit :

> On 4/25/06, Matthew Conway <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there any particular reason the ID columns for xwikidoc are
>> generated (hashes of doc name) instead of just a sequence?
>> Its causing us a little grief when we want to do things like rename a
>> document - copying the doc seems like a hack, and breaks in subtle ways.
>> I think things would be much cleaner if we could assume an inviolate
>> id for each document, and would also have the benefit of making
>> manual sql maintenance task a lot simpler.
>> Let me know what you think,
>>

> Hi,
> I discuss a long time ago about this with Ludovic. We have to change
> it to guid, but we never take the time to do it. I think it can be a
> good improvement for the next release. The problem is the migration of
> the existing database, but we have to do it, it's the source of a lot
> of problems.
>
> Feel free to propose a solution.
>
> thanks,
> Jérémi
>
> --
> Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
> Project Manager XWiki: http://www.xwiki.org
> skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]

Re: table ids

Matthew Conway
What branch is this, I'll take a look.  Data migration is probably
not needed since the old ids should still work fine, just new ones
will be generated as a guid ... right?
By backporting, do you mean merging in the branch, getting it to
compile and pass all tests (and simple usage) before checking in?

Matt

On Apr 27, 2006, at 6:45 AM, Ludovic Dubost wrote:

> We already have some code in a branch which allows to do this.. It
> need to be backported to the current code
>
> Ludovic
>
> jeremi joslin a écrit :
>> On 4/25/06, Matthew Conway <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there any particular reason the ID columns for xwikidoc are
>>> generated (hashes of doc name) instead of just a sequence?
>>> Its causing us a little grief when we want to do things like
>>> rename a
>>> document - copying the doc seems like a hack, and breaks in
>>> subtle ways.
>>> I think things would be much cleaner if we could assume an inviolate
>>> id for each document, and would also have the benefit of making
>>> manual sql maintenance task a lot simpler.
>>> Let me know what you think,
>>>

>> Hi,
>> I discuss a long time ago about this with Ludovic. We have to change
>> it to guid, but we never take the time to do it. I think it can be a
>> good improvement for the next release. The problem is the
>> migration of
>> the existing database, but we have to do it, it's the source of a lot
>> of problems.
>>
>> Feel free to propose a solution.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Jérémi
>>
>> --
>> Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
>> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
>> Project Manager XWiki: http://www.xwiki.org
>> skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]

> Ludovic Dubost
> XPertNet: http://www.xpertnet.fr/
> Blog: http://www.ludovic.org/blog/
> XWiki: http://www.xwiki.com
> Skype: ldubost AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic
>

> --
> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-
> wws

Re: table ids

Ludovic Dubost

http://svn.forge.objectweb.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/xwiki/xwiki/branches/XWIKI_NEWIDS/

The branch is very old, so I'm not sure how merging will do.
Concerning data migration, we just need to make sure that there are not
conflicts between GUIDs and old IDs.

Backporting means what you said and make sure we are not creating any
problems to users or document them if they can be.
A little study of ID usage is needed, although IDs are really only a
database thing which is not exposed.

Ludovic