template questions

Istvan Soos-3
Hello!

I'm planning to customize the interface of XWiki (using the wiki
functionality only for a few administrator, and servicing content for
everyone, who does not need to know about wiki). I've found that editing
the files in the templates/ directory of the .war file does not really
work, I can't see the changes on the interface.

Could you provide me the proper method for editing the templates? (I've
restarted the the application server for cleaning the cache, but it does
not help)

btw: XWiki works with the open source applications server Glassfish
(former Sun Application Server).

Istvan

Re: template questions

Robin Fernandes
Hi,

Over here, modifying for example xwiki/templates/view.vm on the file
system is reflected instantly when viewing a page, without a server
restart. This should be true for nearly all template files (I think
macros.vm is only processed when the server starts up)... but you're
saying nothing changes even after a server restart? How about browser
local cache? What template files are you editing?  Are you sure your
changes will be visible (they might be in some unreached Velocity #if
block)?

One other cause I can think of is if the template files are being
overridden in your skin. Edit your skin object - you will see a number
of text areas corresponding to templates and css. If one of those
fields has content, then that template will be loaded from the skin
(which is stored in the wiki DB) rather than the file system.

In fact, you might find you prefer modifying your templates directly
in the wiki rather than on the file system (I do). If no field exists
in your skin for the template you'd like to modify, simply go to the
class editor, open the XWiki.XWikiSkins class, and add a new text area
property with the name of the template file you want to overried (e.g.
'preview.vm'). Then reload your skin in the object editor, paste in
the content of the template in your new field, edit as required and
save. This is a great feature and should get more attention imo. :)

Regards,
Robin

On 25/04/06, Istvan Soos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm planning to customize the interface of XWiki (using the wiki
> functionality only for a few administrator, and servicing content for
> everyone, who does not need to know about wiki). I've found that editing
> the files in the templates/ directory of the .war file does not really
> work, I can't see the changes on the interface.
>
> Could you provide me the proper method for editing the templates? (I've
> restarted the the application server for cleaning the cache, but it does
> not help)
>
> btw: XWiki works with the open source applications server Glassfish
> (former Sun Application Server).
>
> Istvan

Re: template questions

Jean-Vincent Drean-3
2006/4/25, Istvan Soos <[hidden email]>:

> Hello!
>
> I'm planning to customize the interface of XWiki (using the wiki
> functionality only for a few administrator, and servicing content for
> everyone, who does not need to know about wiki). I've found that editing
> the files in the templates/ directory of the .war file does not really
> work, I can't see the changes on the interface.
>
> Could you provide me the proper method for editing the templates? (I've
> restarted the the application server for cleaning the cache, but it does
> not help)

Hello,

The proper method to use your own templates is to overload them into
the skin you use. http://www.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Doc/WhatIsASkin

Some (edit, viewheader, etc) are already present in you skin object,
if you want to overload some others, you must add them as properties
(name: the name of the template to overload, type : textarea) into the
class XWiki.XWikiSkin. Then, reedit your skin object.

Jean-Vincent.