toc in some dev.xwiki.org pages -> enforcing structure

toc in some dev.xwiki.org pages -> enforcing structure

rrodrigueznt
Hi,

Some pages in dev.xwiki.org have a table of content. For instance,
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Building

I guess if to add this simple table of content to pages like Building
XWiki in Eclipse will ease the understanding of the whole process to
newcomers like me myself. It will result something similar to the
Building page. Something like  http://tinyurl.com/mc6e8d.

Generalizing the question, must all and every documents on dev.xwiki.org
have a TOC?

Is it possible, in this virtual wiki or any other hosted locally, or in
a given space, enforce a structure?

Something like: any document is created in DummySpace must have a
heading1 followed some paragraphs, then a TOC, then any number of
heading2, paragraph, heading3, paragraph and so on, so forth.

Thanks!

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: toc in some dev.xwiki.org pages -> enforcing structure

On Aug 27, 2009, at 2:43 PM, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT
Team wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some pages in dev.xwiki.org have a table of content. For instance,
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Building
>
> I guess if to add this simple table of content to pages like Building
> XWiki in Eclipse will ease the understanding of the whole process to
> newcomers like me myself. It will result something similar to the
> Building page. Something like  http://tinyurl.com/mc6e8d.
>
> Generalizing the question, must all and every documents on
> dev.xwiki.org
> have a TOC?

I don't think so. A page with code might not need a TOC.

One idea for the future could be to add a TOC by default (for ex) for
pages of type "content" when the Document Type implementation will be
done.

However I'm not even sure that all content pages should have a TOC
displayed.

All that said, having a TOC link in the colibri skin, next to the
Attachment, Comments, Info, etc could be an idea but I fear it might
overload the UI a bit.

> Is it possible, in this virtual wiki or any other hosted locally, or
> in
> a given space, enforce a structure?

This will be the Document Type implementation IMO.

Vincent Massol wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2009, at 2:43 PM, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT
> Team wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Some pages in dev.xwiki.org have a table of content. For instance,
>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Building
>>
>> I guess if to add this simple table of content to pages like Building
>> XWiki in Eclipse will ease the understanding of the whole process to
>> newcomers like me myself. It will result something similar to the
>> Building page. Something like  http://tinyurl.com/mc6e8d.
>>
>> Generalizing the question, must all and every documents on
>> dev.xwiki.org
>> have a TOC?
>>

> I don't think so. A page with code might not need a TOC.

I agree. If we have a page with a plain structure when code is the king,
no TOC will be useful.

> One idea for the future could be to add a TOC by default (for ex) for
> pages of type "content" when the Document Type implementation will be
> done.
>
> However I'm not even sure that all content pages should have a TOC
> displayed.
>
> All that said, having a TOC link in the colibri skin, next to the
> Attachment, Comments, Info, etc could be an idea but I fear it might
> overload the UI a bit.

I do like Colibri and I won't to overload its UI, but I think there is
room enough in this line to add a TOC entry. At least for me, it is
quite useful to be able to get an idea about a document structure at a
glance. If it is locate there, we will be forced to navigate to the
bottom of the page to get the TOC. I don't think this will be a problem,
but IMO a clear way of going back to the TOC must be provided from any
location on a page reached from an entry in the TOC. Sorry, but I don't
know yet how to do it.
>> Is it possible, in this virtual wiki or any other hosted locally, or
>> in
>> a given space, enforce a structure?
>>

> This will be the Document Type implementation IMO.

I will follow its development. Thanks.

Cheers,

Ricardo

Vincent Massol wrote:

> All that said, having a TOC link in the colibri skin, next to the
> Attachment, Comments, Info, etc could be an idea but I fear it might
> overload the UI a bit.

After a message posted in [hidden email] by Willi Shiegel, here we have
a solution to include a TOC in given page...

http://www.dokuwiki.org/features

Greetings,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: toc in some dev.xwiki.org pages -> enforcing structure

rrodrigueznt
Please, accept another example.

Vincent Massol wrote:

> All that said, having a TOC link in the colibri skin, next to the
> Attachment, Comments, Info, etc could be an idea but I fear it might
> overload the UI a bit.

http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=guis:projects

In this case, the deployment of the TOC moves the main text downward. As
Vicent said, in Colibri, could it be?...

 Comments (0)  | Attachments (0)  | History  | Information  | Table of
Contents (simple arrow)

Perhaps it is too long... may be...

 Comments (0)  | Attachments (0)  | History  | Information  | ToC
(simple arrow)

Thanks!

--
Ricardo Rodríguez