two ideas

Beibei Yang
Hello All,

I'd like to contribute to the XWiki project through the GSoC 2010. I just
spent the evening to try out XWiki. It's really a cool app. I love it!

I have a couple ideas to make it even better but I'm not 100% sure if they
are implemented. Please enlighten me.

1. Import blog entries from RSS feeds:
    The XWiki Blog allows users to add blog entries. It would be useful to
implement the feature to allow users to import blog entries from RSS feeds.

2. Add Feedburner to all the feeds in XWiki.

Thank you,
Beibei (Betty) Yang

Re: two ideas

Florin Ciubotaru
Hi,

Not sure what you mean by import from rss. IMO this will always have some issues like copyright and content duplication. RSS is an incomplete solution for this. Each popular blogging platform has a export format, most of them interoperable, XWiki has the .xar. Just displaying the data would be good. Something could be implemented on top of our current rss macros: http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Macros/

Feedburner doesn't really fit private wiki's like intranets, thus it should be an optional extension.

Florin Ciubotaru

Re: two ideas

Jessica Hawkwell-2
Hay all,
I really like the first idea here, as it might allow super-easy migration of blogs from other platforms to XWiki.

 [pawprint]

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, at 00:37:31, Beibei Yang wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'd like to contribute to the XWiki project through the GSoC 2010. I just
> spent the evening to try out XWiki. It's really a cool app. I love it!
>
> I have a couple ideas to make it even better but I'm not 100% sure if they
> are implemented. Please enlighten me.
>
> 1. Import blog entries from RSS feeds:
>    The XWiki Blog allows users to add blog entries. It would be useful to
> implement the feature to allow users to import blog entries from RSS feeds.
>
> 2. Add Feedburner to all the feeds in XWiki.
>
> Thank you,
> Beibei (Betty) Yang

Re: two ideas

On 03/14/2010 07:37 AM, Beibei Yang wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'd like to contribute to the XWiki project through the GSoC 2010. I just
> spent the evening to try out XWiki. It's really a cool app. I love it!

Great, please stick around and start contributing.

> I have a couple ideas to make it even better but I'm not 100% sure if they
> are implemented. Please enlighten me.
>
> 1. Import blog entries from RSS feeds:
>      The XWiki Blog allows users to add blog entries. It would be useful to
> implement the feature to allow users to import blog entries from RSS feeds.

Well, something like that is done in the XWiki Watch project, only at a
more advanced level. See http://watch.xwiki.org/

> 2. Add Feedburner to all the feeds in XWiki.

Isn't this impossible to do automatically, since a feed is registered
for a specific Google account?

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/