what to do with xwiki.org

jeremi joslin
Hi,
I'm working with some contributors (Antoine, Lawrence and Jim) on the
new version of the website. It will be more focus on the community,
documentation and the developpement of the software.

I want to separate the demonstration of what XWiki can do and the
sandbox from this website.

So the website we are working on, will replace the current one, and we
will put all others pages to another one.

What do you think about it?

Jérémi
--
Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724

Re: what to do with xwiki.org

kaaloo
What is the url to the new web site ?

On 2/28/06, jeremi joslin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm working with some contributors (Antoine, Lawrence and Jim) on the
> new version of the website. It will be more focus on the community,
> documentation and the developpement of the software.
>
> I want to separate the demonstration of what XWiki can do and the
> sandbox from this website.
>
> So the website we are working on, will replace the current one, and we
> will put all others pages to another one.
>
> What do you think about it?
>
> Jérémi
> --
> Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
> Project Manager XWiki: http://www.xwiki.org
> skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]

Luis Arias
http://www.xwiki.com
http://www.innover-entreprendre.net
skype : kaaloo
+33 6 14 20 87 93 mobile

Re: what to do with xwiki.org

jeremi joslin
On 2/28/06, Luis Arias <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What is the url to the new web site ?

Hi,
the access to the wiki is not yet public.

it's http://xwikiorgv2.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome
I experience some problems to access to xwiki.com now, so i can't give
you the access right now.

Jeremi
--
Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
Project Manager XWiki: http://www.xwiki.org
skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]

Re: what to do with xwiki.org

kaaloo
Yes there is some quick unplanned maintenance going on.  It should be
over in a few minutes

It might be helpful for the community if there was somekind of a
preview of the new website.  Maybe some screenshots ?  Or if the site
could be public.

Luis

On 2/28/06, jeremi joslin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/28/06, Luis Arias <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > What is the url to the new web site ?
> >
> Hi,
> the access to the wiki is not yet public.
>
> it's http://xwikiorgv2.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome
> I experience some problems to access to xwiki.com now, so i can't give
> you the access right now.
>

> Jeremi
> --
> Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
> Project Manager XWiki: http://www.xwiki.org
> skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]

Luis Arias
http://www.xwiki.com
http://www.innover-entreprendre.net
skype : kaaloo
+33 6 14 20 87 93 mobile

Re: what to do with xwiki.org

jeremi joslin
On 2/28/06, Luis Arias <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes there is some quick unplanned maintenance going on.  It should be
> over in a few minutes
>
> It might be helpful for the community if there was somekind of a
> preview of the new website.  Maybe some screenshots ?  Or if the site
> could be public.

I don't want to put the website in public now. I prefer to wait a final version.

some reasons:
* I don't want google index the new version since he will move.
* the design is not the final one, it's just a starting point.
* in this new wiki, not every one will be able to edit it, only
contributors and committers.
* he is pretty blank for the moment.
* I want to make a surprise. :-)

Jérémi
--
Blog: http://www.jeremi.info
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
Project Manager XWiki: http://www.xwiki.org
skype: jeremi23 -- msn et gtalk : [hidden email]

Re: Re: what to do with xwiki.org

Lawrence.yang.cmcc
hi, buddy do u have msn?
my msn is [hidden email]

lawrence.yang
2006-03-01

On  2/28/06,  Luis  Arias   <[hidden email] >  wrote:
>  Yes  there  is  some  quick  unplanned  maintenance  going  on.    It  should  be
>  over  in  a  few  minutes
>
>  It  might  be  helpful  for  the  community  if  there  was  somekind  of  a
>  preview  of  the  new  website.    Maybe  some  screenshots  ?    Or  if  the  site
>  could  be  public.

I  don't  want  to  put  the  website  in  public  now.  I  prefer  to  wait  a  final  version.

some  reasons:
*  I  don't  want  google  index  the  new  version  since  he  will  move.
*  the  design  is  not  the  final  one,  it's  just  a  starting  point.
*  in  this  new  wiki,  not  every  one  will  be  able  to  edit  it,  only
contributors  and  committers.
*  he  is  pretty  blank  for  the  moment.
*  I  want  to  make  a  surprise.  :-)

Jérémi
--
LinkedIn:  https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1437724
Project  Manager  XWiki:  http://www.xwiki.org
skype:  jeremi23  --  msn  et  gtalk  :  [hidden email]

Re: what to do with xwiki.org

Jim Stuttard-3
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:45:29 -0000, jeremi joslin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I want to separate the demonstration of what XWiki can do and the
> sandbox from this website.

Just a few thoughts FWIW.

There are some different roles to consider in refactoring:
Guest
User
Application developer
Core developer

These different audiences/roles obviously have different perspectives on
and information needs wrt. production, test and development code.

# Guest story
A guest might wish to look at or have already found some XWiki.com hosted
site and want to know more about this
great software. A link to the demo might be one of the best recruiting
grounds for new users. A demo website would integrate all stable
applications as a kind of XWiki Full. They might then be directed to an
xwiki.com subscription
or download.
# User story
I just use the built-in applications. I will not be learning how to
add/integrate new applications. I need to know
xwiki syntax and menu instructions.
# Application developer story
I need download, installation, application, plugin and integration
instructions.
# Core developer story
Needs the works. I don't want to work on bugs in 0.9.80 if they're fixed
in later code. I need to understand the
build, test, release cycle beyond just a build number. I need to know what
tests have failed for a
particular development or test build (cos of course there should always be
some in these two stages).
Getting a system which allows continuous refactoring seems quite important.

So I suppose I'd suggest partitioning the site into development, test,
production. I'm used to developing on 3 servers
with 3 databases so that schemas can be upgraded without impacting
performance on the test server etc.

I conclude that the main xwiki.org production site is for user and
developer info with community services; the production site with all bells
and whistles is the demonstration site; and the sandbox is probably a test
site.

Jim

--
Jim Stuttard

Re: what to do with xwiki.org

jeremi joslin
On 3/7/06, Jim Stuttard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:45:29 -0000, jeremi joslin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I want to separate the demonstration of what XWiki can do and the
> > sandbox from this website.
>
> Just a few thoughts FWIW.
>
> There are some different roles to consider in refactoring:
> Guest
> User
> Application developer
> Core developer
>
> These different audiences/roles obviously have different perspectives on
> and information needs wrt. production, test and development code.
>

> # Guest story
> A guest might wish to look at or have already found some XWiki.com hosted
> site and want to know more about this
> great software. A link to the demo might be one of the best recruiting
> grounds for new users. A demo website would integrate all stable
> applications as a kind of XWiki Full. They might then be directed to an
> xwiki.com subscription
> or download.
> # User story
> I just use the built-in applications. I will not be learning how to
> add/integrate new applications. I need to know
> xwiki syntax and menu instructions.
> # Application developer story
> I need download, installation, application, plugin and integration
> instructions.
> # Core developer story
> Needs the works. I don't want to work on bugs in 0.9.80 if they're fixed
> in later code. I need to understand the
> build, test, release cycle beyond just a build number. I need to know what
> tests have failed for a
> particular development or test build (cos of course there should always be
> some in these two stages).
> Getting a system which allows continuous refactoring seems quite important.
>

> So I suppose I'd suggest partitioning the site into development, test,
> production. I'm used to developing on 3 servers
> with 3 databases so that schemas can be upgraded without impacting
> performance on the test server etc.
>
> I conclude that the main xwiki.org production site is for user and
> developer info with community services; the production site with all bells
> and whistles is the demonstration site; and the sandbox is probably a test
> site.
Yes, I agree with you. I thinkthe better is to have 3 websites:
* the project description and documentation (only committers and
contributors can write)
* the released demonstrations (only committers and contributors can write)
* the sandbox with applications in developpments and users test.
(everyone can read and write)

Jérémi