xEclipse

Omar Morales
Hello there to Everybody,

I need to turn a set of word documents into an xWiki hypertext, and I want to do it with xEclipse. I have this, hopefully simple, question to ask: is it possible to accomplish such a task working completely off-line - and I mean that (i) I do not want to install an xWiki server on my PC, (ii) I want to prepare an hypertext draft to be next tryed on my customer's premises?

I have installed xEclipse on my PC, but yet I cannot find the way to import a word document to start editing the links.

Thanks,
Omar.-

Re: xEclipse

Florin Ciubotaru
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Omar Morales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello there to Everybody,
>
> I need to turn a set of word documents into an xWiki hypertext, and I want
> to do it with xEclipse. I have this, hopefully simple, question to ask: is
> it possible to accomplish such a task working completely off-line - and I
> mean that (i) I do not want to install an xWiki server on my PC, (ii) I want
> to prepare an hypertext draft to be next tryed on my customer's premises?

I'm curious about your need of xwiki text in a context that doesn't include
a XWiki server.

> I have installed xEclipse on my PC, but yet I cannot find the way to import
> a word document to start editing the links.

The core functionality of XEclipse is to edit the pages of a XWiki server,
both only and offline. AFAIK Word documents conversion is not possible in
XEclipse.
I think the closest application that fits your needs is XOO. The project is
in a alpha stage, it uses the OOo converter and contains an offline xwiki
renderer, though I don't think that offline conversion is implemented in the
interface as a user friendly feature.
More details about XOO at:
http://gsoc.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWiki%20Integration%20With%20Open%20Office/

Florin Ciubotaru

> Thanks,
> Omar.-

Re: xEclipse

Omar Morales
Hello Florin,

I want to develop the hypertext stand alone, to load it next in a xWiki server. The reason for this is that, unfortunately I travel a lot, and I don't want to depend on inet connections to a server to develop the hypertext. I have all the docs already there, and it is the fastest way to proceed I thought about.

This given, and given the development stage of Xoo, how would you suggest me to proceed with xEclipse? Consider that I downloaded the tool just a couple of days ago.

Tanks,
Omar.-

On Mar 17, 2010, at 8:05 PM, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Omar Morales <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello there to Everybody,
>>
>> I need to turn a set of word documents into an xWiki hypertext, and I want
>> to do it with xEclipse. I have this, hopefully simple, question to ask: is
>> it possible to accomplish such a task working completely off-line - and I
>> mean that (i) I do not want to install an xWiki server on my PC, (ii) I want
>> to prepare an hypertext draft to be next tryed on my customer's premises?
>>
> I'm curious about your need of xwiki text in a context that doesn't include
> a XWiki server.

>> I have installed xEclipse on my PC, but yet I cannot find the way to import
>> a word document to start editing the links.
>>
> The core functionality of XEclipse is to edit the pages of a XWiki server,
> both only and offline. AFAIK Word documents conversion is not possible in
> XEclipse.
> I think the closest application that fits your needs is XOO. The project is
> in a alpha stage, it uses the OOo converter and contains an offline xwiki
> renderer, though I don't think that offline conversion is implemented in the
> interface as a user friendly feature.
> More details about XOO at:
> http://gsoc.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWiki%20Integration%20With%20Open%20Office/
>
> Florin Ciubotaru
>

>> Thanks,
>> Omar.-

Re: xEclipse

Florin Ciubotaru
Hi Omar,

On 3/17/2010 9:19 PM, Omar Morales wrote:
> Hello Florin,
>
> I want to develop the hypertext stand alone, to load it next in a xWiki server. The reason for this is that, unfortunately I travel a lot, and I don't want to depend on inet connections to a server to develop the hypertext. I have all the docs already there, and it is the fastest way to proceed I thought about.

If you travel a lot it is probably best to continue to edit the Word
documents instead of wiki syntax content.You can push the documents to
the wiki when a connection is available. For that you can use XOffice or
the Office Importer:
- http://xoffice.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome (Requires
Microsoft Office)
<http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Applications/OfficeImporterApplication>-
http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Applications/OfficeImporterApplication
(Requires Open Office attached to your XWiki server)

Hope this helps,
Florin Ciubotaru

> This given, and given the development stage of Xoo, how would you suggest me to proceed with xEclipse? Consider that I downloaded the tool just a couple of days ago.
>

> Tanks,
> Omar.-
>

> On Mar 17, 2010, at 8:05 PM, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Omar Morales<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>

>>> Hello there to Everybody,
>>>
>>> I need to turn a set of word documents into an xWiki hypertext, and I want
>>> to do it with xEclipse. I have this, hopefully simple, question to ask: is
>>> it possible to accomplish such a task working completely off-line - and I
>>> mean that (i) I do not want to install an xWiki server on my PC, (ii) I want
>>> to prepare an hypertext draft to be next tryed on my customer's premises?
>>>

>> I'm curious about your need of xwiki text in a context that doesn't include
>> a XWiki server.

>> I have installed xEclipse on my PC, but yet I cannot find the way to import
>> a word document to start editing the links.
>>

>> The core functionality of XEclipse is to edit the pages of a XWiki server,
>> both only and offline. AFAIK Word documents conversion is not possible in
>> XEclipse.
>> I think the closest application that fits your needs is XOO. The project is
>> in a alpha stage, it uses the OOo converter and contains an offline xwiki
>> renderer, though I don't think that offline conversion is implemented in the
>> interface as a user friendly feature.
>> More details about XOO at:
>> http://gsoc.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/XWiki%20Integration%20With%20Open%20Office/
>>
>> Florin Ciubotaru
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Omar.-

Re: xEclipse

Marius Dumitru Florea
Florin Ciubotaru wrote:

> Hi Omar,
>
> On 3/17/2010 9:19 PM, Omar Morales wrote:
>> Hello Florin,
>>
>> I want to develop the hypertext stand alone, to load it next in a xWiki server. The reason for this is that, unfortunately I travel a lot, and I don't want to depend on inet connections to a server to develop the hypertext. I have all the docs already there, and it is the fastest way to proceed I thought about.
>>
> If you travel a lot it is probably best to continue to edit the Word
> documents instead of wiki syntax content.You can push the documents to
> the wiki when a connection is available. For that you can use XOffice or
> the Office Importer:
> - http://xoffice.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome (Requires
> Microsoft Office)
> <http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Applications/OfficeImporterApplication>-
> http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Applications/OfficeImporterApplication
> (Requires Open Office attached to your XWiki server)

Having a light (jetty+hsqldb) XWiki Enterprise instance running on your
laptop (localhost) is also an option. You can move pages from your local
XE to a remote XE using the export/import (XAR) feature.

Hope this helps,
Marius