xwiki backup / database conversion

CeDeROM
hi!

im trying to install xwiki on few enviromnents and then choose one
that suits best xwiki needs. im using mysql and postgresql databases
and i have _great_ problem with sensible performance testing because
 example mysql database provided on xwiki website cannot be
converted into postgresql. also dump provided for PostgreSQL doesnt
work with current xwiki release... :(

as there is no backup facility built into xwiki (while it should be
standard) i cannot use simpliest method of data conversion. i think
that backup would be very very helpful feature, not only for making
backups (in xml) but also for transferring xwiki into different
environments!
maybe developers could look at http://dbunit.sourceforge.net/

can anyone share xwiki database dump both in MySQL and PostgreSQL
format?

greetings!
tomek

Re: xwiki backup / database conversion

Ludovic Dubost

We have some initial work on import/export.. I'll publish this with some
documentation on xwiki.org possibly tonight

Ludovic

Ludovic Dubost wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've posted our import/export scripts on
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Backup
>
> This should allow to load the default xwiki database in any xwiki
> compatible database.
> Let me know how it works.

THANK YOU!!!
I will check this tomorrow at work on target machine and send back a report.
I could also write short howto for PostgreSQL (also on MySQL?) as I have
this procedure already well known (anyway its already done in "install"
section).

greetings!
tomek

Re: xwiki backup / database conversion

You are welcome to come and help fill in the new Admin Guide at
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/WebHome
on these particular sections, as we are trying to have something cleaned-up.

Of course reusing the existing install instructions makes sense.

Ludovic

CeDeROM wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Ludovic Dubost wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've posted our import/export scripts on
>> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Backup
>>
>> This should allow to load the default xwiki database in any xwiki
>> compatible database.
>> Let me know how it works.
>
> THANK YOU!!!
> I will check this tomorrow at work on target machine and send back a
> report.
> I could also write short howto for PostgreSQL (also on MySQL?) as I
> have this procedure already well known (anyway its already done in
> "install" section).
>
> greetings!
> tomek

Re: xwiki backup / database conversion

CeDeROM
Hi!

> I've posted our import/export scripts on
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Backup
>
> This should allow to load the default xwiki database in any xwiki
> compatible database.
> Let me know how it works.

i have problems:

suse93:/usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/xwiki/backup # ./env.sh
Caught: General error during class generation: No such class:
XWikiContext in constructor call for class: xwiki.export.import. At
[7:11] /srv/www/tomcat5/base/webapps/xwiki/backup/import.groovy

groovy.lang.MissingClassException: No such class: XWikiContext in
constructor call for class: xwiki.export.import. At [7:11] /srv/www/
tomcat5/base/webapps/xwiki/backup/import.groovy
        at org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.
checkValidType(AsmClassGenerator.java:4825)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.
visitConstructorCallExpression(AsmClassGenerator.java:2319)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.ast.expr.ConstructorCallExpression.
visit(ConstructorCallExpression.java:91)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.
visitAndAutoboxBoolean(AsmClassGenerator.java:4236)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.
evaluateEqual(AsmClassGenerator.java:4087)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.
visitBinaryExpression(AsmClassGenerator.java:1145)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.ast.expr.BinaryExpression.
visit(BinaryExpression.java:343)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.
visitAndAutoboxBoolean(AsmClassGenerator.java:4236)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.
visitExpressionStatement(AsmClassGenerator.java:1131)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.ast.stmt.ExpressionStatement.
visit(ExpressionStatement.java:70)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.ast.CodeVisitorSupport.
visitBlockStatement(CodeVisitorSupport.java:83)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.ast.stmt.BlockStatement.
visit(BlockStatement.java:79)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.
visitMethod(AsmClassGenerator.java:393)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.ast.ClassNode.
visitContents(ClassNode.java:803)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.classgen.AsmClassGenerator.
visitClass(AsmClassGenerator.java:290)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit$5.
call(CompilationUnit.java:564)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.
applyToPrimaryClassNodes(CompilationUnit.java:822)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.
classgen(CompilationUnit.java:525)
        at org.codehaus.groovy.control.CompilationUnit.
compile(CompilationUnit.java:432)
        at groovy.lang.GroovyClassLoader.
parseClass(GroovyClassLoader.java:235)
        at groovy.lang.GroovyClassLoader.
parseClass(GroovyClassLoader.java:204)
        at groovy.lang.GroovyClassLoader.
parseClass(GroovyClassLoader.java:154)
        at groovy.lang.GroovyShell$1.run(GroovyShell.java:261)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
Method)
        at groovy.lang.GroovyShell.run(GroovyShell.java:259)
        at groovy.lang.GroovyShell.run(GroovyShell.java:202)
        at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.processOnce(GroovyMain.java:397)
        at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.run(GroovyMain.java:233)
        at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.process(GroovyMain.java:219)
        at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.main(GroovyMain.java:123)
        at groovy.lang.GroovyShell.main(GroovyShell.java:121)

I had problems with building xwiki from sources, so I have used
build from http://build.xpertnet.biz:80/cc/buildresults/xwiki?
log=log20050819033710Lbuild.88 (http://build.xpertnet.biz:80/cc/
artifacts/xwiki/20050819033710/xwiki-0.9.887.war).

My env.sh:
XWIKIHOME=/usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF
XWIKILIB=$XWIKIHOME/lib
TOOLSLIB=./lib

TOOLSPATH="$TOOLSLIB/commons-cli-1.0.jar"

XWIKIPATH= ...

CP=$TOOLSPATH:$XWIKIPATH
export CP
CLASSPATH=$CP #`cygpath --path --windows "$CP"`
export CLASSPATH

./import.sh

help :)
> [...]

        at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.processOnce(GroovyMain.java:397)
        at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.run(GroovyMain.java:233)
        at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.process(GroovyMain.java:219)
        at groovy.ui.GroovyMain.main(GroovyMain.java:123)
        at groovy.lang.GroovyShell.main(GroovyShell.java:121)

I had problems with building xwiki from sources, so I have used
build from http://build.xpertnet.biz:80/cc/buildresults/xwiki?
log=log20050819033710Lbuild.88 (http://build.xpertnet.biz:80/cc/
artifacts/xwiki/20050819033710/xwiki-0.9.887.war).

My env.sh:
XWIKIHOME=/usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF
XWIKILIB=$XWIKIHOME/lib
TOOLSLIB=./lib

TOOLSPATH="$TOOLSLIB/commons-cli-1.0.jar"

XWIKIPATH= ...

CP=$TOOLSPATH:$XWIKIPATH
export CP
CLASSPATH=$CP #`cygpath --path --windows "$CP"`

The scripts have been tested on Windows with cygwin..
Other cases might need changes to the scripts probably in env.sh

Ludovic

CeDeROM wrote:

> [...]
>
> log=log20050819033710Lbuild.88 (http://build.xpertnet.biz:80/cc/
>
> artifacts/xwiki/20050819033710/xwiki-0.9.887.war).
>

> My env.sh:
>
> XWIKIHOME=/usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/xwiki/WEB-INF
>
> XWIKILIB=$XWIKIHOME/lib
>
> TOOLSLIB=./lib
>

> TOOLSPATH="$TOOLSLIB/commons-cli-1.0.jar"
>

> XWIKIPATH= ...
>

> CP=$TOOLSPATH:$XWIKIPATH
>
> export CP
>
> CLASSPATH=$CP #`cygpath --path --windows "$CP"`
>
> export CLASSPATH
>

> ./import.sh
>

> help :)
>
> Tomek

Re: xwiki backup / database conversion

CeDeROM
> The scripts have been tested on Windows with cygwin..
> Other cases might need changes to the scripts probably in env.sh

Ok, there was some jars missing on the webapp 0.9.887, so I have
borrowed them from sources. also changed env.sh a bit:

XWIKIHOME=/usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/xwiki-0.9.887/WEB-INF
(...)
XWIKIPATH="$XWIKILIB/groovy-all-1.0-jsr-01.jar: (...) :$XWIKIHOM
E/classes"

Now, backup facility works fine! I'm able to move xwiki from MySQL
to PostgreSQL and probably others! THANK YOU LUDOVIC!

Some notes:
-example database xwiki-db-0.9.1 seems to be buggy and cannot be
converted by backup facility (there is error on converting
attachments).
-it is important to remember about jar connector files and includes,
so the application can make connection to database :)

I will try to prepare few scripts for MySQL and PostgreSQL
separately.

greetings!
tomek

Re: xwiki backup / database conversion

Ludovic Dubost

Yes 0.9.1 cannot be exported. There is a line that needs to be deleted
in the xwikiattachment table.
That's why I've attached a new version 0.9.2 on the backup page and
exported a clean DB in the backup zip

Ludovic