xwiki installation not too friendly

Jason Novotny

Hi Ludovic,

    I've been looking at the instructions at
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/InstallLinuxTomcat and there
are about 8 steps too many for this software to gain widespread adoption
in my opinion. One of the biggest issues I see is that it uses Hibernate
which is great since technically db tables can be auto generated using
the Hibernate schemaexport tool with the xwiki mapping file to create
tables in any database of your choosing. However, it looks like I
specifically need MySQL and I don't know why. I look at the JBoss +
Postgres install page and sure enough it points out the flaws of this
approach:

"Download the sample database and convert for Postgres. See
PostgresDatabase
<http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Dev/PostgresDatabase> -> This tool
has been made by Nicholas Vesser.. It was done with an old mysql
database for XWiki.. You should try it with the latest database.."  hmm,
not fun.

Personally, what I would like to see is this:
1) Download xwiki.zip
2) Run "ant install" which performs:

    Creating/deploying xwiki webapp to your Tomcat that you set in your
build.properties
    Uses schemaexport to generate tables in your database that is
defined in the hibernate properties file

3) Start your server and voila!

Further, it could use hsqldb as a default so if you didn't reconfigure
the hibernate properties file it would simply use hsqldb which can be
bundled with the wiki webapp and used for test purposes.

How does this sound?

    Cheers, Jason

Re: xwiki installation not too friendly

Ludovic Dubost

Hi Jason,

We are trying to solve this.. We started by doing a windows only package
embedding everything in a ready to go package. We also have an
experimental (not release) package with Jetty and HSQLDb so there are no
big dependencies. Jeremi is supposed to finish this but was busy on a
Google Summer of Code project. He'll be able to wrap this up in September.

We also have a backup (import/export) tools which we just released which
can be adapted for initial import and installs in other environments.
See http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Backup

There are one thing missing in your proposed approach which is loading
the default data (the import tool can do this just after having done the
schemaUpdate).
There is one thing I don't like which is the dependency on ant. We need
something that doesn't have this dependency. Many users are not
developers and might not have ant. An shell script and a batch file
running java is probably the way to go.

If you want to help you are welcome to.

Ludovic

Jason Novotny wrote:

> Hi Ludovic,
>
>    I've been looking at the instructions at
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/InstallLinuxTomcat and there
> are about 8 steps too many for this software to gain widespread
> adoption in my opinion. One of the biggest issues I see is that it
> uses Hibernate which is great since technically db tables can be auto
> generated using the Hibernate schemaexport tool with the xwiki mapping
> file to create tables in any database of your choosing. However, it
> looks like I specifically need MySQL and I don't know why. I look at
> the JBoss + Postgres install page and sure enough it points out the
> flaws of this approach:
>
> "Download the sample database and convert for Postgres. See
> PostgresDatabase
> <http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Dev/PostgresDatabase> -> This
> tool has been made by Nicholas Vesser.. It was done with an old mysql
> database for XWiki.. You should try it with the latest database.."
> hmm, not fun.
>
> Personally, what I would like to see is this:
> 1) Download xwiki.zip
> 2) Run "ant install" which performs:
>      Creating/deploying xwiki webapp to your Tomcat that you set in
> your build.properties
>    Uses schemaexport to generate tables in your database that is
> defined in the hibernate properties file
>
> 3) Start your server and voila!
>
> Further, it could use hsqldb as a default so if you didn't reconfigure
> the hibernate properties file it would simply use hsqldb which can be
> bundled with the wiki webapp and used for test purposes.
>
> How does this sound?
>
>    Cheers, Jason

Re: xwiki installation not too friendly

jeremi joslin
On 8/18/05, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> We are trying to solve this.. We started by doing a windows only package
> embedding everything in a ready to go package. We also have an
> experimental (not release) package with Jetty and HSQLDb so there are no
> big dependencies. Jeremi is supposed to finish this but was busy on a
> Google Summer of Code project. He'll be able to wrap this up in September.

[snip]
Hi Jason and Ludovic,
It's not windows only, it's cross-plateform. I'm using it on my linux.

Jérémi
--
portable : 06.73.20.11.49
http://www.jeremi.info

jeremi joslin wrote:

> On 8/18/05, Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> We are trying to solve this.. We started by doing a windows only package
>> embedding everything in a ready to go package. We also have an
>> experimental (not release) package with Jetty and HSQLDb so there are no
>> big dependencies. Jeremi is supposed to finish this but was busy on a
>> Google Summer of Code project. He'll be able to wrap this up in September.
>>

> [snip]
> Hi Jason and Ludovic,
> It's not windows only, it's cross-plateform. I'm using it on my linux.

I was talking of the tomcat + mysql package all-in-one.. This one is
windows only..
Of course tje Jetty + HSQLDB will be cross platform.

Ludovic

> Jérémi

Re: xwiki installation not too friendly

Ludovic Dubost-2